#11 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:51 AM

Just what we need another stadium.

Mt Smart - league but the council wanted to shift that to North Harbour, well known centre of league fans.......

North Harbour, where the Blues play sometimes for home matches for the South African teams

Western Springs - Speedway now being booted out by the airport so we can have cricket there......  We lose a fantastic centre of city speedway with huge history.

Eden Park, a world class rugby stadium with history that cant be replaced.

And we need another stadium because we have nothing else to spend money on..........................

#12 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:40 AM

Agree with you Dutyfree.
PWC has already scoffed a million dollars of ratepayers hard earned loot to provide a confidential feasibility scope for a new stadium
Phil the 110 unused LAV,s Goff is angling to leave Auckland with another financial millstone legacy.
Look towards next weeks announcement to see the Mayor and private interests kick off on this swap of Eden Park development rights for a shaky dodgy privately funded waterfront white elephant that will ultimately see the ratepayer underwriting the inevitable shortfalls.

Central Government should be urgently looking to place Auckland City Council under statutory management as the city is close to bankruptcy
and woefully incapable of reigning in raging rates increases and providing basic municipal services to suit the ever growing population.

#13 tuffyluffy

tuffyluffy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:55 AM

I just wish they'd hurry up and make a call on whether or not the PoA is going to stay or go, and if it goes, where to. 

Its a godawful eyesore and the land has huge potential to transform the Auckland waterfront. Stadium or not, that whole area could be a beautiful space for everyone to enjoy rather than a container park and used car yard.

#14 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

Agree with you Dutyfree.
PWC has already scoffed a million dollars of ratepayers hard earned loot to provide a confidential feasibility scope for a new stadium
Phil the 110 unused LAV,s Goff is angling to leave Auckland with another financial millstone legacy.
Look towards next weeks announcement to see the Mayor and private interests kick off on this swap of Eden Park development rights for a shaky dodgy privately funded waterfront white elephant that will ultimately see the ratepayer underwriting the inevitable shortfalls.

Central Government should be urgently looking to place Auckland City Council under statutory management as the city is close to bankruptcy
and woefully incapable of reigning in raging rates increases and providing basic municipal services to suit the ever growing population.

I understand that Eden Park is a privately owned Trust? Not council owned.

#15 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

I just wish they'd hurry up and make a call on whether or not the PoA is going to stay or go, and if it goes, where to. 

Its a godawful eyesore and the land has huge potential to transform the Auckland waterfront. Stadium or not, that whole area could be a beautiful space for everyone to enjoy rather than a container park and used car yard.

The problem with that Mr Tuffy is Panuku wants apartments along the waters edge. So if PoA went I'm sure we'd see a push for apartments and we all know any on that land will be around 1 bazillion dollars each to buy and have running costs around a grand a week on top of that. The people who pay coin like that will not want riff-raff (aka the public) infesting their area.

Like the transformational AC we had here a wee whiles back. It transformed the Viaduct all right but not into 'a beautiful space for everyone to enjoy' that it was sold to the punters, it was transformed into huge money apartments and 5 Star hotels, most being offshore owned.

#16 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:13 PM

The Eden Park Trust board numbers nine of which five are central government appointees.

The government wrote off its 2011 world cup development contribution and would prefer to see the stadium and risks pass to Auckland City.

The stadium owes $50 mil to the CBA and only just meets interest costs, this debt has Auckland City as sole guarantor.

Eden Park assets are ripe for the plundering and the future does not look bright. 

As for POAL vacating the waterfront look to a minimum 30 years of same same.

Winnie the Pooh is going to be a plaque on a wall hopefully somewhere well away from minors before those new cranes journey on.

https://i.stuff.co.n...ss-no-one-wants

#17 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:27 PM

Stadia are for the most part bullsh!t, massive sinkholes of public funds and in my mind a symptom of "bread and circuses" Stadiums tend to sit empty gobbling up rates and for what? To appease the fat cats of rugby and the have occasional "concert" where all the profit goes to the organisers and very little to the ratepayer.

They have a place but we have so many for such a tiny city. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users