North Cape stopover

Having a slight senior moment.  Years ago I read about an informal "yacht club" whose membership only included those folk who had stopped in a little cove near North Cape.  For the life of me I can't remember what it was called, or even if I have the basic facts correct.

Does this make sense to anyone?

We did look at another spot around there but it was perfect conditions for anchoring off otou for us.only been there once.

When we hopped out north past the cliffs we saw a shark so big puckers formed where once there were none.

Marlborough sounds seems like hard work, go north young man.

We left soggysoggy yesterday and in Fawn harbour for the night. It is not beige and there are no little deer.

It's easier to get to Fiji than the south island , I'm told.

Looking to fill in a couple of months over summer before (finally) heading north next winter.  I've sailed Nelson Sailing Week and really enjoyed the area so it has been on the list for a while.  Gives us a bit of a shakedown as well, we've been in refit mode for far too long.

Otou cove is made up of high land dropping to a rocky spit that connects to the islet that makes the most eastern point. So you sit in breeze if it's from the north. Really pretty spot in settled conditions.

We chartered a yacht... a big luxurious h28 it was,in marlborough sounds 30 years ago, that was fun. My comment was just that, and making conversation. I'd like to have another look in my own boat sometime.

I see the pic now. Yes, anchor in the sand. Really clear water ...quite tropical clear.

Right under North cape?

We are planning to do a more or less non stop trip from AKL to the Three Kings in the coming season, just to shakedown a bunch of upgrades and fixes. Any suggestions on the best time and conditions ? I had heard that a SW was best or maybe a Westerly, I suppose March is the most settled but its nice to have a decent breeze too.

Looking to fill in a couple of months over summer before (finally) heading north next winter.  I've sailed Nelson Sailing Week and really enjoyed the area so it has been on the list for a while.  Gives us a bit of a shakedown as well, we've been in refit mode for far too long.

I had someone the other day tell me to put you in touch with them as they know all about the ins n outs of the Sounds

........ but I can't remember who it was....... :wtf:

I sailed out of Mana and for many years the sounds were our home cruising grounds. I should be able to answer any questions about the sounds that you may have. Wheels is a local as well, and a few others lurking around. Post any questions on here and I'm sure you'll get good answers.

• Upvote 1

We joined Waikawa Yacht Club for the trip south. This gives excess to all the moorings and an excellent chart/map/cruising guide. Club closed when we were there but showers and other facilities excellent. We went down in early to mid december when there nearly always seems to be a good weather window.