Wheels the whole proposal in a nutshell is.anyone can lease tonnage and sell to whoever.all catch must be landed no size limit.you caught it you land it.throwing back dead undersize achieves nothing.  If you contract to me as I own the quota and I want 2 ton snapper at 350 mm and catch280 mm I don't want it.what are going to do?? Find a quota holder to land it under and accept little $$ for it or dump it and go for the bigger $$$ under the orosal you land and sell it to me or the public.you can fillet it and get more $$.. Wheels you really need to watch doco  most species are well below the biomass of Burgan stock.size has been fished.what was normal size of 600 mm snapper the new normal us around 450mm. Dr Daniel Pauly on YouTube has video dumbing down the oceans.you will get a better understanding watching it. Or contact legasea.co.nz.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many of you have signed the petition? If we ant any fish left at all, the quota system needs to be dumped and replaced. Oversight must be removed from the fishing companies. Cameras on fishing boa

This is a political thread. Consistency please, move this one as well.

Its is based on the Faroe islands fishing policy. https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management   What it means roughly.Govt buys back quota,then

Posted Images

As I said, Quota is Quota. It doesn't matter who leases or owns it. It entitles the user to catch a set amount or certain size per year. Full stop! once Quota is met. What is allowed and not allowed does not come down to the person operating the Quota. That is set by Fisheries. So if I buy Quota from you Harrytom, I am bound by the restrictions of that Quota.
As to size and quantity that can be taken, that is a different argument and should be kept separate from the Quota itself. The Quota is just the license. I agree about the problem with by catch. It is a big problem. But once again, Quota and who owns and who operates it has nothing to do with the issues with by catch. Separate argument.

Yes quota is quota set amount you do not have quota to take kingfish but you get 300 kg of them.what do you do ? Dump them ?? Then that's a waste so under what's proposed you can keep and sell.there becomes no bycatch.quota is tonnage per species so catch varies species you need to buy/ lease quota for each species.fisheries set tonnage per species.not hard to understand.

OK, perhaps I need to go back and re read all this. As I said, I read a few posts and so I guess I may not understand the argument here. I had thought some were arguing about the Quota's being leased out.
I 100% agree that any catch should not be dumped. It needs to be accounted for, brought ashore and Sold and I was of the understanding that this was now what indeed had to be done.
Certainly, any by catch must be recorded in type of fish and where caught. This is accounted for by Fisheries as to what is happening to other Fish stocks.
We do have a pretty good system here in NZ. That is likely not the case for overseas Fisheries. But NZ has Fishing Companies that are very good at maintaining their Area's. As many of them say, it is in their own best interest to ensure that the Stocks are healthy and maintained.

1 hour ago, wheels said:

OK, perhaps I need to go back and re read all this. As I said, I read a few posts and so I guess I may not understand the argument here. I had thought some were arguing about the Quota's being leased out.
I 100% agree that any catch should not be dumped. It needs to be accounted for, brought ashore and Sold and I was of the understanding that this was now what indeed had to be done.
Certainly, any by catch must be recorded in type of fish and where caught. This is accounted for by Fisheries as to what is happening to other Fish stocks.
We do have a pretty good system here in NZ. That is likely not the case for overseas Fisheries. But NZ has Fishing Companies that are very good at maintaining their Area's. As many of them say, it is in their own best interest to ensure that the Stocks are healthy and maintained.

Definitely worth getting up to speed on.  There are many factors at play here and not just "quota is quota".  Such as:

- the issue of who owns the resource (QMS has conferred ownership whereas the public of NZ owns the resource)

- who is allowed to fish (ATM more and more quota is held by a small, wealthy and influential group)

- is the QMS actually protecting the resource?

- this resource should be controlled by an independent science-led process.  Currently it isn't.

- MPI fisheries management is "owned" by the quota holders

.... and many more.  Pretty important that we all understand the issues.

Let's go back to the 300kg of kingfish you do not have  quota for it.the options of what you can do for non quota is 1) find a quota holder who can land it for you.2) land it and pay a deemed value.instead of getting $5 kg you now pay the govt $7 kg 3) dump it.

This is why it needs changing does nothing to rebuild stock.

Again, Wheels and anyone else, watch the doco, and read what you can. Large industry has MPI in their pockets, and many MP's are not neutral.

The QMS simply is not working, stats can be made to say anything. It's led to a situation where apparently more than 40% of the current take may be being dumped. Its illegal, but its happening, as it make economic sense. 

Again I use the example I gave before. One species has currently a "moratorium"  on fishing it , the large fishing companies would have you believe that its because they are environmentally conscientious, but the fact is that the average fish size has reduced over the last 5 years, and they cannot currently catch their quotas. They are also publishing info that says the reduction in stock is due to global warming. This is despite the fact that they have had 3 of NZ's largest trawlers over the spawning grounds 24x7....

The QMS was well intentioned.  However, it is not working, our fisheries have been, and are being decimated. Current science says that you cant take more than 50% of biomass of CURRENT stocks if a fishery is to be sustained. We have been working on 70%, of ORIGINAL biomass, only leaving 30% - of the original totals, which, in reality, means take whatever you can find. It is not sufficient for a species to thrive, or possibly even survive long term.

The other issue with current quota, is that it is in perpetuity. Effectively this is handing ownership of the fishery to the quota holder, and remember this was given to them FREE.   It's a valuable asset, and is trade-able between the fishing companies. If the system is redesigned so that quota is leased for a set period, and manged scientifically, then it can be easily adjusted, and be a profit making system for the government. Also, of course, the unbelievably insane system that caused dumping, can be replace with one that does not make this economically sensible - like high grading in the current system etc.  High grading is dumping some fish in favour of better ones, so you can still be within your quota.

Slight correction needed there.

The Government of the day (the 4th Labour, David Lange) gave away 61% but also sold another pile which it received $83 million for.

At the time the Government was lambasted for setting the TAC at such a high limit with experts saying it was far to high and would damage the fishery. The Government argued market forces would dictate what was caught or not. It only took a few years before the Government of the day (the 4th National, Jim Bolger) realised the TAC was seriously over cooked and reduced the number significantly.

I am assuming those are 1986 dollars.