Stewart 34 vs TWU

Clipper

Startline incident today up at BoI regatta. TWU was on Starboard. Will slow them down for while.

The boys must be gutted, not a good start, and most definately the end of the regatta (perhaps season) for them.

twu.jpg

thats aweful - those guys have put a lot of effort into that boat.

AA - cat 3 requirements make sinking a multi almost impossible. There will be 3 water tight compartments in each of TWU's hull I should think. The bigest issue here is that she is a tortured ply boat so this damage will require significant work - but she has been in worse condition before! Actually the bigest issue would have been the safety of crew on impact - hope they're all okay.

That looks horrible. OK excuse my ignorance but how is it still afloat? The hole seems to be below the current waterline. Presumably some water tight compartments?

Amazing what can happen when you don't hang a whole lot of lead off the bottom isn't it?

That just makes me feel sick seeing that.

Based on that photo you can bet the TWU boys did not see what hit them, if they are sitting to weather and with a low boom.

all it takes is either boat to attept to turn and you wouldn't get a 90 degree t bone hole like that.

All I hope is that the S34 that hit them has plenty of money to fix the damage ! (If indeed it is Playbuoy then they got hit by the right guy, Roy is a rich gentleman)

Talk in the bay, yes was Playbouy.

A real bummer and Roy is a great guy an amazing ambasitor for NZ yachtng.

Got a say, who was triming and where was the bowman with boats in start area like that the helmsman can't see 360 degrees

And AA that wasn't pointed at you or your question, just a tongue in cheek comment on different design philosophy's. :D

No offence taken BK, I understood what you meant! :thumbup:

Really stink, bad luck guys.

A couple of points above really made me think - so the boats with lead strapped to their bum don't need watertight bulkheads for Cat 3 but the ones that would probably stay floating anyway do?

Makes a bit of a mockery of some of the safety thinking.

BTW - my next boats gonna be a multi, probably a cat. Been thinking about it for a while.

Good luck on the repairs guys.

Archived