Sign in to follow this  
wheels

Out on the Gulf. So who is where???

We headed out yesterday, to what will be our first major trip about the Gulf. We had our first at labour weekend, but this trip we hope to explore much more. Currently in rocky bay on Waiheke. It is going to take some getting used to anchoring with lots and lots of other boats. It feels like we are in a Marina. My biggest worry is who is going to tangle with whom when it comes time to uplift anchors. I have this feeling that I maybe leaving with a small flotila following me. :wink:

Thinking of heading out to the Barrier, but also keeping an eye on the weather coming.

I have the crew flag flying, although it makes a tgerrible flapping noise, so if anyone see's nme, pop on over and "knock on the hatch".

Whats it like out there Wheels--l was leaving tomorrow but with an iffy sailing partner and the wind/rain predicted l'm considering staying at home ,much to my annoyance.

Same here, keen to know. We were going to be doing our maiden voyage over to Waiheke later this week but knot looking good now for first timers.

Wheels head over to Coromandel

Looks like easterlies for the next week so once there you will have good shelter

More Islands the the Bay of Islands and you can explore form Colville down to Manaia so easily fill in a week.

Save the barrier for outside the silly season

As for us, stuck in the cowshed but we will be out for new year

We are still in Rocky Bay and have good shelter here. It is about 15kts and gusting to 20 out there, but not ruff at all. A real good sail for anyone wanting to try. There is great shelter and plenty of room in Rocky Bay if you tuck up closer to the shore if you are small and needing good shelter.

Shanson Txt me earlier and said it is a gale in Auckland, so it might be ruffest getting out the harbour.

It should stay like it is till Thursday Evening, with wind bilding from midday'ish Thursday and maybe getting to 30kts thursday night, lots of heavey Rain. The wind will probably swing slightly more toward the north as it biulds. Although correct me if you think I am wrong, I am not up with the local bends of weather here yet.

Good idea John and its what l had intended with Te Kouma being the planned destination --however the forecasted rain (and wind ) means l will put it off to sunday or until Dianne will leave the dock !!!

Pity about the cows needing to be looked after ==l suppose this is so you can do the Round New Zealand in Feb/march !!

Thats correct Andrew, for some reason staff seem to want time off every year ?

Wheels your in a good spot when you've done Rocky try Green Bay or Shark Bay Ponui

Am firmly anchored at 36° 36' 12.83" S, 174° 48' 7.30" E. Neither wind nor rain will cause us any grief. No boats can drag onto us and I've looked outside - flat calm, not a ripple on the surface.