KD 650

Variant

I am building a KD 650. It is a 6.5 metre catamaran.

A few of the regulars here know about it, but I thought I would share it here also because if it wasn't for seeing what people like Samin, Lionmark and Greg etc have achieved I might not have thought it was something I could manage.

But so far so good. It is funny to think that just down the road at Cooksons. One of the most hight tech catamarans ever is being built, and here in my garage I'm building one the way they were built back in the 60's. :)

IMG_0404c.jpg

Even though this boat could be built in a few months full time. Don't expect me launching any time soon. I only get a 2 or 3 hours a week on it. But building it is an enjoyable hobby.

That looks great and I'd be very interested in how the rig works out. Very cool idea.

Thanks. The modified Gunter rig has some advantages, especially for a trailer boat.

Are you going for the duo rig?

M

I might end up going for a convetional rig yet, though the designed rig should make stepping the mast very easy which is a huge bonus. I am not aware of any other people who have built one and I'm not sure I want to beta test it, especially as it is not too expensive to buy a second hand conventional mast here in Auckland. But by the time I have the hulls finished I hope to be better informed.

Looks great starting to look like a boat now Rod.

Thanks. Yea I thought I would wait until I had something interesting to show before mentioning it on here.

Got some more work done on the little Cat.

As you can see it is up the right way now. Also have primed and painted below the water line.

IMG_0538c.jpg

It currently weight 87Kg's.

Also the rudders are finished.

IMG_0528.JPG

Sorry it's been so long since an update here.

Here are some more pics.

IMG_0965c.jpg

So here the first hull is mostly done.

IMG_0975c.jpg

IMG_1040c.jpg

And this is how my garage looks today. Messy lol.

IMG_1375c.jpg

New progress on the 650 here.

IMG_0181.JPG

The second hull has been painted and the beams are bolted in place for the first time in this photo.

It is all coming together, literally. Hopefully it will make it to the water this summer :)

Archived