Boat Windows

Zozza

I just got a pair of Polycarbonate windows cut for me from a guy down in Papamoa.

I know Polycarb is susceptible to scratching, but jesus you would think when you open the courier pack they came in they would at least be showing clear and scratch free while still brand new.

If I get no joy from the guy that made these, anyone know of someone who makes custom polycarb windows?

Duh me! Well done Boots. That protective layer was on real tight it had me fooled. But the little pin idea of yours did the trick.

I will now retreat into a corner with proverbial dunces hat on.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You just made my day, went through that one about 28 years ago, good to see nothing has changed.

Heh heh, well to be fair it is the first custom made windows I have ever had made, but good to see you wore the dunces cap too 28 years ago, so I don't feel so bad!

Surprised they hadn't flammed the edge for you, gives a really nice finish and saves having to sand. You can always try it yourself with a low powered gas torch.

I had Creative Acrylic in Henderson make up the windows on the kids boat - Each window appeared to be different/hand cut so I made a pattern for each one and carefully labelled it including where all the screw holes were. They cut, drilled all the holes and flame polished the edges. Not cheap but not overly expensive and I am still very happy with them.

I will be going through this process in a few months time. My question is what kind of sealant would be best to use?

I think Sikaflex 5200?

There's a great posting from someone somewhere on crew.org that details how its done properly- hopefully someone can find it and/or post a link. Its not hard, but there's a few sneaky tricks that ensure you do it correctly. I thought I knew better and did it my way. The end result is leaky windows that need to be redone :thumbdown: One day ill get around to it or throw some money at FNG

Archived