Fosters

God I miss Fosters old shop. Life is just not the same. Why do things have to change.

Fosters was part of my cultural womb and since they have been relocated I have been traipsing the waterfront like some lost soul.

Here is a shot of me all dressed up and ready for some real marine retail therapy.

uqg6yXa.jpg

Yup, that is one of those new fangled carbon bodied 100v lithium Seagull Powermaster outboards in my left hand.

The swag cast over my shoulder contains my Whale phone that is presently running Scrimshaw as a operating system.

My shopping list includes fast set oakum and pitch for those small vacuum bag tasks that are regularly arising on the good ship Priscilla.

God I miss that shop.

Mr Street could you please have a word with those Harken chaps and at the very least get them to install some creaking floor boards in the new outlet.

Thank you in advance.

The old Harken/Fosters building was a special place. Legend has it that at high tide they would get salt water puddles in the basement. Receiving your new hardware in a brown paper bag was all part of the Fosters experience also.

What you can smell is Stockholm Tar.

The old Fosters building has a water powered lift built out of wood in it. Humans aren't supposed to use it but we often did. It also have a newer one. Apparently it's one of the oldest in the Sth Hemisphere that still works.

Down deep in the basement there are water pumps. As the building was built on the foreshore, or what was the beach back in the day, WT is right the basement would flood when the tide is high without the pumps.

I can't say what I remember about working there, too many are still alive so still can be arrested and locked :twisted: :lol:

It is hard for us younger ones :shifty: to imagine the foreshore reaching up to the Fosters building and it being flooded on a high tide.

Via the wonders of google I found this:

Modern day Queen Street was a gully through which the Waihorotiu Stream flowed and emptied into the sea. The shoreline at that time ran along modern Fort Street (originally Foreshore Street), along Jean Batten Place to the junction of Queen and Shortland Streets.

Archived