Pop quiz

banaari

Without reference to the 'Net, anybody able to answer the following:

1) "Entering the Mediterranean via the Straits of Gibraltar, would you expect to encounter a favourable or foul current?"

2) Give your reasoning.

Was ambushed by this little beast in the RYA Ocean theory exam... as it turned out, there was nothing in the course notes would have helped me answer it... made for a rather stressful couple of hours.

The flow in is on the european side and the outward flow is on the African side. It takes approximately 7 years for the flow to complete a full circuit. plus there is the additional water from the Black sea and the Nile and all the other rivers emptying into the Med.

The flow in is on the european side and the outward flow is on the African side. It takes approximately 7 years for the flow to complete a full circuit. plus there is the additional water from the Black sea and the Nile and all the other rivers emptying into the Med.

According to IT's link, this is true once you're through the Strait into the Med but not in the Strait itself.

My thinking was that it must be tidal so the answer would be "it depends" but apparently while the tide does have an effect it's not the dominant one.

I also thought the Suez might have an impact but apparently this flows either way in some sections, depending on the time of year (according to the all knowing Wikipedia).

Straits of Messina between Italy and Sicily one of the only "tidal" flows in the Med from memory and even then its a result of squeeze between land masses.

I also thought the Suez might have an impact but apparently this flows either way in some sections, depending on the time of year (according to the all knowing Wikipedia).

Excellent reference because when it says so in Wikipedia then there's no doubt it is true!

I would have expected it to be tidal too.

But a very unfair question in an exam.

Archived