Television on board

You can have it if you want to spend the $. Cheap antennas from a few hundy, to the flash satellite tracking antennas that work anywhere, all the time.

Remember that NZ and other countries are getting rid of terrestrial broadcasts - it's all going digital. So old/cheap antennas may work now, or in some places/countries, but they will eventually stop.

Sorry I have not really kept up with this - The TV was the first thing I removed from Island Time when I bought her!

Ditto,

Apple TV is a nice light power usage box you can plug in and get on demand stuff like netflix and what ever you have downloaded. You can get decent broadband in alot of places now with the RBI 4g, About 80gb of data for $60-90/mth for those spending alot of time on the boat :)

as above

have recently been mucking around with a spare 19', 12v lcd flat screen on board at the mooring

even with the sky tower dishes only being a few km away the reception is terrible with just a set of rabbit ears

seems every time the boat rolls in swell or wake, reception is momentarily lost....

erice, rabbit ears are far too directional and they have very poor gain. You need an Omni Directional TV antennae.

Go see KM for one. He actually sells VHF and TV antennaes as well as chain and rope.

But these old system arials will only work with digital terrestrial systems. Not all of the country has it. Auckland

does, but I have no idea about CHCH.

You can step up a grade and go for a sat dish. If you are in a berth, you can set one up on the pole. But if you want

to view on a swing mooring or anchor, then you need to be able to have the dish that will follow the Sat as the boat

moves. These used to be stupid expensive, but have come down to just the area of just really expensive. I can remember

looking at one about 10yrs ago and the price was $25K. You can now buy them for around $4.5K. These ones track

horizontally and vertically and lock onto the signal and follow that. But if they should lose the signal briefly, they

can take a bit of effort to get it back again.The type I have tracks horizontal only. It uses a magnetic compass to

maintain direction. It cost us $1700 back when the flash ones were down to $23K. They also have disadvantages and while

it works for us, it would be too frustrating for many. When it gets a little ruff, you often lose the signal.

We watch the news and maybe a couple of favorite programs in the evening. But that is only when it is the two of us

and have run out of things to chat about.

Oh and speaking off getting internet on the Boat. What a rip off it is to buy Data for a T-stick if you only want it

for 1 or 2 months. You can only buy 5 or 6 gig, depending on who you go with and it was $90 odd dollars.

Also depending on who you go with, you have a limited time and you lose the data you have if you have not bought it.

So watching TV via the net is just not possible. Plus I found the speed in some places, as bad as the old dial up speeds

Oh and speaking off getting internet on the Boat. What a rip off it is to buy Data for a T-stick if you only want it

for 1 or 2 months. You can only buy 5 or 6 gig, depending on who you go with and it was $90 odd dollars.

Also depending on who you go with, you have a limited time and you lose the data you have if you have not bought it.

So watching TV via the net is just not possible. Plus I found the speed in some places, as bad as the old dial up speeds

Yep got to agree Wheels -  tstick data cost sucks

Have had various TV setups over the years but ended up reverting to the trusty laptop, as long as they have decent speakers or can Bluetooth to the stereo it's all we need for those rainy days and don't suck much power.

I have 5gb of data on my phone plan and have 4g in most of the places we go so have been watching a lot of netflix over the holidays. Just have to make sure your turn down the quality as HD sucks a lot of data and the low quality still looks very good. DVD's are a good backup for out of the way places.