This as a F***ing joke right?

I have no issue with people wanting to live aboard and that does not matter if they are Boaties or not. I do have an issue with Live aboards in Marinas on Boats that can not, nor have any intention of going anywhere, just because it is cheap living, IF they are keeping real Boaties out of the Marina because there is no room. I believe Nelson has that problem, or so I have been told.

Back in the days when GH allowed liveaboards they were all on a 30 day notice period. Misbehave and you could be out in a month. (Still no idea why they have decided not to allow liveaboards and no one will give me an answer).

However unlike Wheels , I think if you pay rent for a space, then as long as you don't intrude on others you should be able to do with that space what you wish. What about the boat that never goes out and you complain and get him tossed out, only to find his wife died and he has been grieving but hopes to get out again "one day"??

There are lots of non liveaboards that hardly ever go out, I wonder if statistically liveaboards use their boats more than non liveaboards?

I do think that there is two types off liveaboards. There is the people that a living on there boats in marinas,

And there are the people that liveaboard but are on the move all the time. I am one off the latter and am convinced

that there is more off the moving liveaboard, than the static. I am seeing a lot of the same boats all the time.   

far better than going on a benefit and taking my kids to Sth Akl.

Sorry Dambo, but this comment really got under my skin.

I recently moved out of South Auckland, but I'd be back there in a heartbeat if the market were to drop suitably.

Yes there are some seedy characters about, but they are everywhere. 

We lived in South Aucks for around seven years, in two areas often called rough by some, but loved by the people that live there. In Wiri, we were in the minority, being white with a young family, where most of the locals were older white folk, or young PI families.

For the first few weeks we were a little nervous, but honestly it turned out to be a great neighbourhood, with a genuine community feel. Would often walk down to the local 24/7 shop in the middle of the night, which I wouldn't do in a lot of other Auckland suburbs.

Then we moved to Weymouth, on the border of Clendon. Not actually as good as wiri in "feel" but still a great place to live. There are also some extremely good primary schools in the area. the kids could play in the streets until dark, generally without a care. 

South Auckland has a bad rep because the locals aren't rich, and so minor thefts tend to get reported, which pushes up the figures compared to rich neighbourhoods who turn a blind eye to petty crime for "The Greater Good".

Maybe I'm misguided, but a few years in 'rewa certainly changed my perception.

If the lotto man gifts me a winning ticket, I'll be redeeming it in south Auckland. 

Back on topic...

I've often suggested to my wife that we should buy a big tri and park it in the papakura channel. Live on board, and just every few months whip over to onehunga to empty and fill the relevant tanks.

Apparently the harbour master isn't interested in "moored" boats on the Manukau. But even if he were, moorings are cheap!

Some of those big (35-40ft) Pivers etc also go pretty cheap.

living the gulf harbour dream?

(houseboats common on the thames in the london)

The Ferns bought their boat for just under $100,000.

They pay $480 rental a month to the owner of the berth (this sort of sub-letting is not uncommon with marina berths), and a "live aboard" fee of $11 a day.

This gives them access to marina facilities like a laundry and shower, and secure car parking.

Water is provided and there is a mobile pump for emptying the waste holding tanks on their boat.

The boat is connected to a power meter, and they pay their own electricity costs, which Jeff says are not high: in the summer they paid under $30 for three months.

All of this adds up to around $850 per month 

1462507077160.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home-property/79713322/this-auckland-family-looked-at-house-prices--and-decided-to-live-on-a-boat