looking for someone who knows how two sail.

Guest shane

Shane I've been seeing your posts here for a while. I worry about your safety.

1. What safety gear, safety plans and safety habits do you have?

2. What sailing experience do you have?

The trips you've spoken of should not be done without good preparation. You may be fine, and taking risks is part of the adventure, but many many people in NZ history have drowned in the waters you speak of. FWIW here's my safety card:

https://kmccready.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/storm-fantasy-sailing-yacht-safety-card/

Well if he is heading to GB on Wednesday, he has picked the best for weather for getting across. But he is going to be sitting there for some time, so I hope he has plenty of supplies.

Erice and exTL, he is actually real, and everything his posts seem. I met him, on his last boat he made it to the South Island. Some foreign chap had helped him over the straight from welly, He was on a mullet boat with a sloop rig (in his profile pic). Last I saw he was leaving the marina (port company told him to leave as he couldn't afford to pay?) for nelson I think. He was paddling the mullet boat as the old outboard was stuffed (someone got it running in welly for him but it only lasted a few days), and had a friend in a dinghy trying to start a 2 horse, which also didn't run that I saw. He said he had some responses to his ads on here, but people that showed up to help would tell him he needed liferaft, flares Epirb etc. which he could not afford. His plan I recall was to have people sail with him until he could, then trip around nz living on the boat. I found and still find it a bit scary...

Shane, what happened to the mullet boat?

possibly 1 of our resident sock puppets

looking for a laugh

IT can you trace the header on his posts 

both old + new?

No posts from this IP except Shane. It's an Ihug address.

Erice and exTL, he is actually real, and everything his posts seem. I met him, on his last boat he made it to the South Island. Some foreign chap had helped him over the straight from welly, He was on a mullet boat with a sloop rig (in his profile pic). Last I saw he was leaving the marina (port company told him to leave as he couldn't afford to pay?) for nelson I think. He was paddling the mullet boat as the old outboard was stuffed (someone got it running in welly for him but it only lasted a few days), and had a friend in a dinghy trying to start a 2 horse, which also didn't run that I saw. He said he had some responses to his ads on here, but people that showed up to help would tell him he needed liferaft, flares Epirb etc. which he could not afford. His plan I recall was to have people sail with him until he could, then trip around nz living on the boat. I found and still find it a bit scary...

Shane, what happened to the mullet boat?

This all scares me the more.

But maybe I'm just being paranoid - he's out there sailing around having an adventure, learning to sail and I'm here on a keyboard...

I guess like me Dambo, your at your keyboard working so you can afford to go sailing in a manner you consider safe, rather than going out there in a old run down boat, without much knowledge, skill or safety gear, and expecting others to help you or put themselves at risk for nothing, be it doing deliveries or fixing the motor... I'm still wondering what happened to the mullet boat.

Yup.  

I sold my last boat to a 'learner-sailor live aboard cause it's cheaper on the dole adventurer'.  I think he lasted 6 months before the Coastguard picked him up off the rocks - I'm guessing the boat was carved up where she lay (Mataitai Bay) by a salvage company and the council or harbour master or whoever will be forever chasing him for the costs.

Guest shane

Hi i sold the mullet boat. i sailed alone around from Picton two Havelock. Then Havelock two nelson with two guys. then nelson two golden bay with a gril and guy. Where the moter was haveing really bad problems. And everyone whatit money it was getting two hard. But I loved that boat so much. I'm really smart and my dreams two sail around nz then the world. I can't work because I have really good reasons y and I'm not any doll badger. I am just have dreams that I'm trying two make happen. :)