northland 438?kg met bust

You mean that stuff is worth over a Mill per Kg ?? :wtf:
And what, do they reckon someone pointed the Boat at NZ with motor running and in gear and just let it go to run itself up the beach? :wtf:

in the 1980's freighters were reputed to drop drug bales off coromandel, at night?

which were retrieved by local fishing boats during the day

no one ever saw the drugs being delivered at the wharf but some boats that were never landing many baskets of fish

were still providing enough money for the owners to get new houses, new cars and overseas holidays....

presumably a pretty close watch is now kept on the fishing industry, from within the fishing industry

but those freighters can still drop the drug bales on cray floats for sport fishermen to pick up

perhaps these guys got caught by the tide trying to do a remote beach transfer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong_Su_incident

On 16 April 2003, police officers observed the Pong Su close to shore at Boggaley Creek near the seaside town of Wye River in Victoria and followed two suspects on the shore as they left the beach and headed for a nearby hotel.

The next morning, the two suspects were apprehended with 50 kg of pure heroin after leaving the hotel. Then, in a search of the beach at Boggaley Creek, Australian police discovered the body of a man of East Asian appearance covered by seaweed close to a dinghy.

It was speculated that the dinghy had capsized landing the heroin, drowning one of the crew.

Police also apprehended another man in the immediate area. Unable to get back to his boat, he had simply remained in the area where the drugs came ashore the night before. A fourth suspect was also taken into custody.

A further 75 kg of heroin in similar packaging was later discovered buried near Wye River in May 2003 after subsequent searches following coordinates from a seized GPS device.

The Australian government ordered the Pong Su into harbour; however, the ship attempted to escape into international waters.

After a four-day chase, known as Operation Sorbet, the Pong Su was captured after Australian Army Special Operations Forces personnel stormed the ship in a helicopter landing.

The Pong Su was secured and brought into port in Sydney. Searches of the ship by Australian authorities revealed it had been modified for long voyages and was carrying enough fuel and provisions to travel around the world without needing to enter a port.

another boat involved

"I think they got the boat off the trailer and into the water at some stage, but they didn't know what they were doing and waves were crashing over the back of it, then they stalled the engine so they put it back on the trailer."

"I think the one they called the skipper would seem older, I would put him at 35-40. He had a satellite phone."

1465898306482.jpghttp://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/81073157/witness-tells-of-helping-city-boys-launch-boat-seized-in-meth-bust

Arrr, I saw that boat beside the RIB and wondered what it was there for. I figured they wouldn't have put the RIB into any ole shed and with another Boat. It would have to be some form of Police lockup.

We have had similar stories of drugs being delivered into the Sounds. Things is, there are huge area's of our Coastline that can be easily snuck into and no one would have a clue.
I have a Frie.......errr.....I have heard a story that someone witnessed a murder in the Sounds. It was a drug handover and one of the people were Shot. The Frie....err...story goes that the witness is terrified of ever going to authorities to tell of what he saw. Knowing the Witness wel.....I mean....the guy that told me the story, who was the uncle of a brother that had a friends cousin hear about it from someone else while holding a glass to his ear against a brick wall, about the story was totally believable and I fully trust him that he is not someone that tells "stories".

Ross, who is ex-Air Force, said he heard a twin engined turbo prop aircraft, which was unusual because only twin piston-engined planes flew to Kaitaia and not at that time of night.

"Turbo props have a completely different sound to guys like me."

"I could hear it but I couldn't see it and then my eyes dropped and here it was less than 500 feet off the water - straight away alarm bells - the minimum altitude you're meant to be at is 1000ft.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/81100557/a-plane-could-have-been-used-to-drop-500kg-of-meth-in-new-zealand-waters

Managing director of Family Boats, Peter Carlson, confirmed the boat found by police with the load of meth was sold for cash at their East Auckland store by one of their salesmen to a group of four men

He also said that plane could have come from the Islands or Aussie. but would have to refuel before heading home. So where would he land at that time of night. and refuel without border control getting excited or do they only get excited with incoming yachts not planes? 

Absolutely beyond me why they didn't use a sea legs enabled boat. All that attention drawn to them trying to launch a stern leg driven sh*t box off a surf beach.

Was queitly reading the ads in my boating magazine and saw that Smuggler Marine do a Sea legs equiped 770 centre console that would have been just the ticket for picking up bags out of the water.

Imagine the marketing irony if the drug smugglers brought a boat of Smuggler Marine.....

three Tongan men and two Chinese nationals 

"triads"

"Some people were trying to launch a flash boat with a stern leg, which are no good for launching off the beach," he said.

"The sea came in and caught the boat and washed it up the beach sideways.

Two men aged 31 and 26 from Auckland were arrested

Some people in Ahipara have noticed one key point - that only 494kg has been recovered.​

"They wouldn't ship that amount, it would be 500kg," one man said.

"There's still $6m out there."

http://bestthesites.com/article/new-zealands-biggest-meth-bust-comedy-errors-thu-06162016-0533.html

"Some of the boys were saying if they had launched it when the game fishing was on, they could have turned up and launched that boat at Houhora ... and no-one would have thought twice about it."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/81073157/witness-tells-of-helping-city-boys-launch-boat-seized-in-meth-bust

You have to laugh at how grossly incompetent these drug smugglers were. Its just a litany of stupid, incompetent, cock-ups from start to finish.

You'd think anyone with half a brain and $0.5 Billion worth of drugs would at least do some basic planning and/or learn how to drive a boat at the bare minimum, but no.

Its the script of a comedy movie - I can see the catch-line now,

"1/2 a ton of Meth, 3 Tongans, 2 Asians, a Toyota, a Camper van and a couple of boats - what could possibly go wrong?"