Elan 350

I just did a google on it. It appears to be a new, heavyish, 35ft cruising yacht that'll sell here for about $300 - $330K. Its marketed as a racer, but at 5+ ton im not so sure. It has twin rudders and chines aft.

Not the kind of boat you typically show interest in, Squid, what's the story?

I like Elans, one of the few production boats I could consider buying new. I like the combo of good design/race pedigree (Rob Humphreys) combined with strong construction (I think all hulls are certified to Germanischer Lloyd A1 standard).

Haven't personally seen the new 350 but it seems to get rave reviews.....

From marinebusiness-world.com

Alt_Elan350%20Twin%20Rudder%20Twin%20Wheel%20Design.jpg

Back from the World Premiere launch of Elan 350 Cruiser Racer and also the Impression 444 Cruising Yacht at the Elan International Dealers Conference and Internautica Boat Show held on the splendid coast of Slovenia and straight into following through enquiries.

We've seen and sailed the new Elan 350 Cruiser Racer – the bold with twin rudder, twin steering design - and here to tell you just how much this boat radiates pure WOW Factor and causing a real stir.

Even we were more impressed than expected!

If you really want a very Special Boat mid size– this is it - no question! The Elan 350 is just streets ahead - there is simply no comparison.

Out of this tiny country of stunning beauty come these stunning blue-chip boats. It's a formidable culmination of 60 years history of boat building craftsmanship and the long passionate working collaboration with the distinguished English designer Rob Humphreys.

When travelling thousands of miles to sail test a boat, one wishes the weather could be ordered in advance but you just get on and move with what you get because the buzz overtakes it all. We scheduled ourselves for an early afternoon sail but we faced grey skies and the mirroring grey Adriatic Sea and little wind to accompany which did thankfully whip up from time to time.

We hopped on the rib and bounced out to the 350 sailing beautifully with kite flying and a team of Elan Dealers on board; we came up astern and quickly managed the jump-off/ jump-on-exchange in a flash onto her wide and magnificently powerful transom.

She continued to glide through the water effortlessly even when there was just a breath of wind. (that's the Humphreys design for you).

How did she feel? Well…simply sensational! The twin steering is so responsive and the boats is absolute joy to sail.

The twin rudders really change the character of the boat. We found that it is a boat that can be pressed hard and riding on the chine you can feel the response from the rudder which is almost vertical into the water.

The boat tracks like its on rails and so you could certainly carry full sails longer. Going to windward the boat was a dream. The 350 is designed to have real- sea-going capability and a turn of speed that promised exceptional performance for a boat in this category.

We had to take what light wind we had and collectively make our judgment on the performance of the previously launched 310 which was test sailed in 25 kts of wind and tagged ‘Pocket Rocket'.

The 350 is relatively lighter for her length than the 310 and the sail area to wetted surface ratio also greater. This amounts to sparkling speed potential and so you can truly expect great results from this new 350. The boat promises to excel downwind due to the design of the hull and powerful broad transom.

Maneuverability of the boat under motor was excellent; positive and precise especially in reverse.

With her broad transom, the cockpit space is lavish with well designed layout for the competitive sailor but also especially suited to the cruising family with easy access due to the twin wheel configuration.

Elan and Humphreys have again set the pace and this radically designed short-handed format will surely take on especially where crew numbers cannot always be assured. In all, the New 350 model looks and feels like a 40ft and has so much going for it.

And how does she look? Again we say- sensational!

Her clean, well proportioned lines and chined hull speak for themselves and just look so good with a clear neat topside and huge cockpit ergonomically detailed with helmsman footing that can be popped up out of the cockpit floor to suit the heel of the boat.

She looked every part of sleek and classy and genuinely so! Trimmed in black and white – sheets as well; black boom cover and custom made composite wheels design by Elan looking every bit Hi- Tech and teamed as well with brilliant Spectra Mainsail and Jib in silver grey.

The 350 clearly translates as an outstanding performance cruising yacht as well. Belowdecks opens out into an impressively eye pleasing mix of smart design in light woodwork with an outstanding level of finish, splendid space, head-height and comfort. The powerful aft quarters of the boat result in unrivalled cruising accommodation that would be the envy of many larger cruising yachts.

The 350 is designed in three formats; a high performance club race boat, the ultimate cruiser racer of an exciting performance cruising yacht.

You could not ask for more in a true Cruiser Racer. Sailors can be confident this boat will do what it says it will - and what they want.

To add here, during the boat show we spent a good deal of time going through the yachts on display at the and altogether the new look Elan Cruiser Range rolls out an exceptional line up. The boats are noticeably highly engineered, the level of finish and details is superior and this stands apart from the Humphreys design performance, handling, sailability, stability etc.

The baby of the range, Elan 310 which really is no baby, has been a runaway success since her release and looks equally sensational and sails like a ‘Pocket Rocket'.

Then, when we stepped on board the Elan 380, we just went WOW – yes again – what an absolutely beautiful composition, look and feel of a boat. This model replaced the ever popular Elan 37 with her remarkable success record, but we have to say the Elan 380 is tiers and tiers above!

A single rudder format, the 380 is simply a sensational looking sailing yacht that carries the well known Elan Cruiser Racer hallmark.

Interestingly we also spent a good deal of time with designer Rob Humphreys himself and do so each new model launch. This time, we were met with the exuberant ' Hey, the Aussies are here…!' as he flashed his lights pulling up outside the walled glass front of the hotel, where we sat taking in some welcomed Slovenian wine upon arrival. It's always a pleasure to listen and exchange and that goes for his whole team too.

Rob is a highly respected passionate designer internationally- with an incredible wealth of knowledge and experience and has worked with the Elan marque for some 15 years. He is notably unpretentious, sincere and has a great sense of humour and great company.

Good stuff, thanks guys - AC, it's a friend who looks like he's just sold the big heavy cruiser coz the kids want to race and go faster, but the wife still wants to have a civilised Xmas cruise.

I suggested Valium before all those people lined up to buy it, but his wasn't sold then.

What's the V word (or boat)?

Elan 350 sounds like a good candidate for what he and his family are looking for based on that brief description.

Don't worry Murkey. It looks like I might be out of the market for a little while.

The Finance companies have shifted the goalposts for moored yachts. I had approved finance for 20% down, rest over 5 years about 12 months ago. Now the interest rates have gone up, and they want a minimum of 40% deposit... For reasons I don't want to go into, I can't put it on the house, so I think I might be stuffed until I can save some more $$.

That's a bugger as a yacht I have long admired that is immaculate and a bit of an Auckland icon is available, and I just can't find finance....

The reason given to me is that they have a few defaulters and they just cannot sell their yachts right now... Not my experience I have to say!! The right yachts get snapped up. The ones that don't sell tend to be tired and/or overpriced. Valium was aperfect example. Witchy Woman another. Both sold in under 2 weeks.. Right price, nice boats.

Anyone know any good finance companies that will lend on yachts??

Saving = not sailing and I'm not getting any younger. I lived on board my own financed 30 footer in my 20s, for 3 years and it was the best decision I ever made. Sure it costs more in the end, but money isn't everything. If I hadn't financed it back then I never would have done it. We just made sure we had enough put aside to cover the payments. After 3 years, sold the yacht, made 3000 pounds profit and paid back the remainder of the finance...

Sorry about the thread drift!! :oops: :oops:

What ever happened to saving.

Well lets see. Put it on tick and enjoy it now while you are young and fit enough.

Save till you can afford to pay cash and hey, maybe even get a fantastic Cash deal, but be 90 and in a walking frame and can't enjoy the boat.

Or looking at it from a slightly different angle, ones like Tuffyluffy must have investments to be able to afford a $350K boat. Investments must mean someone is borrowing your money TL. So I would be saying, yeah go on everyone, borrow as much as you can and buy the baot of your dreams so my investments can earn a great return and i can step up to a bigger and better boat :wink: :D

I've just finished paying my boat off after 5 years. Sure I had to pay the interest bill, but I've now got a much better yacht than I ever would have been able to save for. Monthly payments were taken straight out of the pay packet - for me it was a bit like compulsory saving. Now I have a fully paid off yacht and having got used to living without the extra money every month, it now seems like I've got a huge pay rise.

In the mean time, have had 5 years where I have done at least a couple of thousand miles in it, spent probably six months on it all for nothing (compared to chartering or doing an overseas trip once a year).

Do it while you're young enough. My wife would not have counternanced me bying a shitbox, because she wouldn't have been comfortable on it. She was right behind taking on a bit of temporary debt to get something that she wants to spend weeks on end on.

Did you try Toyota Marine Financing Smithy?

Yeah, apologies for the drift, still, it is an interesting yak. :)

Wheels, I wish my boat was worth $350K! More like $150 - 200K on a sunny day if im lucky, but then again, who knows in this market

I guess its a personal, priorities thing. Personally, i just couldnt sleep with debt on a (usually) depreciating asset. I blame some Scotish ancestry. I spent my 20's working hard, saving money, building investments, sailing dinghys and other peoples keelers so that i could afford a decent 40fter once i hit my 30's and am young enough, fit enough and debt free enough to enjoy it without needing to work.

By the way Wheels, if id invested my money in 'Finance Companies' i certainly wouldnt be a boat owner now :wink: :)

Thanks for the tips guys. Rangi 1, doi you have a contact at Toyota Marine Finance? BM, do you have an email. (Phone is horrible from out here).

Yeah I went through Sharpie first. His guys think that because I work offshore I am going to take the boat and run away somewhere they cannot get me.. Funny enough, it's not the earning power or fact I have no other debts, it's everyone else defaulting that is stuffing me up! If anyone can pass on contact names and email addresses, please PM me!

Thanks, Smithy.

Archived