Westhaven Floating Dock

I use the floating dock how many times a year  

42 members have voted

1. 1. I use the floating dock how many times a year

• Never
    • more than 4

How many here use it's services and how often?

Just wondering what facilities will be required if it gets the 'big piss off', by whatever means, by Akl CC.

I understand it will be shifting it's location. The exact position is yet to be decided.

Correct but the word is there are some conditions/costs which could basically be very hard to meet. Just thinking that if for whatever reason it doesn't shift and goes away, what the hell are we left with? A duopoly of yards??? Anyone else thinking 'a lot more pissing around' and 'Char Ching'?

It is something the harbour that is chocker with boats desperately needs to have for many reasons.

Just thinking if I and indeed 'we' need to get militant on someone, inside ACC, arse.

Extreme violence is called for KM, the dock's an institution, banning it would be like making pavlova illegal. It's immoral, prejudicial to the public good and probably unconstitutional.

Don't we have a Bill of rights to protect us from this sort of thing?

What is this Floating Dock thing??

The best thing since cut bread wheels. It'd be worth you sailing up to Auckland just to experience it! If only he served flat whites while you wait eh :lol:

how much does it cost, why is it better than a "normal hard stand"

So much handier why? - I can walk out my back door, go get a full bum scrub and be back home in under 1 hour. What's more my boat isn't even in Westhaven. Try that with any hard stand. As it's so easy I do if fairly regularly just to make sure I'm good for racing, knot spreading nasties, just to make sure the keel is still there and/or how much of it. Others I know do the same.

Cost for a 31fter $80 all up. That includes one of the lads doing all the scrubbing. I have suggested he ups the price to 2 hundy and provided cappuccinos and a dirty dirty girl for use while we wait but apparently his wife doesn't trust him to keep his hands off good looking staff :) :) The 2 yards close by charge around $270 min just to lift it out of the water and then put it back in, more for water blasting and so on. 1/2 a day would run you close to $370 inc the wash in P21, probably more in Orams I would expect.

Faster and cheaper. Knot to mention there is fast becoming a lack of anywhere you can actually do a quick scrub. Knot allowed too on the piles anymore or at least the piles that are left.

I suppose I could go to Westpark which maybe cheaper but that's an hour each way in travelling alone or put in other words 'I just couldn't be bothered so I'll just do something illegal and quite possibly damaging to the environment instead'. I very much doubt I'd be alone. Knot a good look when MAF are sending boats paperwork saying keep ya bum clean and stop the spread of nasties, which I fully agree with.

Wheels, around 25T if pushed I think. All the stuff down that corner the locals use has to go to make room for a couple of superboat berths. That includes Bruce at Mast and Spars, the barge connected to the dock. No more handy pull up alongside for a rig tickle any more either.

All good doing superboat stuff and taking the bucks but what about the roughly 10,000 boats floating on the harbour already. They seem to just be considered collateral damage and just an annoyance in someones grandiose plans.

And I suppose one thing you guys really lack up there is some decent deep water to operate the thing in So it can't go just anywhere.

Well ya better all get it sorted before i arrive then. I complain enough about costs down here. I don't want to be coming all the way up just to find I have to keep complaining :wink:

No one with a brain would think it's a good idea to loose the floating dock. It's as busy as. Can't see what the problem is with moving it closer in to the mariner. A mariner is a working environment not a photo opportunity. I think the big danger for Westhaven in the long term is turning the car parks into apartment sites like the viaduct. Short term gain for long term pain. Once it's gone we can never get it back.

To put things in perspective many of us know that Ken has a suffered a serious stroke at the time the dock was due to be relocated due to the expansion of water front where the floating dock is located to accomodate the super yacht refurbishment industry related to the Australian outfit that now owns Orams. I would like to post a big ups to Ken and his family for the marvelous service & character that they have offered the boating community for all these years and wish him and his family the very best.

Cheers

Jake

We lost our quick cheap slip in Welly a couple of years ago.

It was in Clyde Quay, run by RPNYC.

Less than $50 for a quick out/in with blast.

The runoff straight into the tide wasn't a good look though. :)

What a fantastic facility! :thumbup: :thumbup:

It would be a travesty if it is moved, and I also share the worry that the western side of the tank farm will sprout apartments. Where will all the marine industry go then?? This is a great little corner of Auckland and should be left alone. It's a great place to poke around on a sat with the kids. Get rid of the tanks fine, but leave the marine facilities. It's a harbour for god's sake.

I hope a solution is found, and get well soon Ken.

This is an essential service. Needs to be retained.

1800 boats in Westhaven. All need their bottom cleaned. And now we can't use the grids because the marina have decided they want to comply with some Danish Blue Flag system that no-one else complies with (and without consulting any of the marina users). Many people have signed petitions and the WMUA have voted to retain the floating dock.

Does MAF Biosecurity (the sea squirt people) know about this?

Ken's had Anticipation up there but only on a very calm day, I seem to remember asking the question a few years back, dunno how keen Besty is

Archived