sailmaking

Guest 000

I need a sail about the size of an Optimist sail for the little praam I'm building. I have a machine and a suitable floor and limited experience in sewing Sunbrella awnings for the H28.

I'd like to have a go at sailmaking as it would be a good skill to have but don't want an expensive cock-up. Any one else done it?

Thanks erice.

I've read all that I can find on sailmaking and it doesn't seem to be too complicated.

Mind you I did the same on carpet laying and the less said about that little exercise the better!

I guess what I need to know is has anyone read a book, built a sail and the end result was not too bad.

Hey, it's a bit of cloth, Scissors and a Sowing machine. Cut in general shape and sow hems. Can't be too hard eh Chris. Just think, learn how on the pram sail and then you can set up shop and become a sail maker. A whole new career. ;-) :thumbup:

Theoretically.

Do you use double sided tape to assemble the panels before stitching?

If so, how do you stop the adhesive transferring to the needle, and does it matter?

How do you match stitch tension to Dacron stretch?

How do you calculate seam curvature for sail shape?

I think sailmaking is a bit more complex than it appears. But, picking up some 4oz Dacron on Tuesday so I'll either end up with a sail shortly thereafter or yet another magnificent cock-up.

Hoping strenuously for the former.

Theoretically.

Do you use double sided tape to assemble the panels before stitching? Yes, go and see kent Luxton (asuming you are able to get to picton) he will sort you out

If so, how do you stop the adhesive transferring to the needle, and does it matter? Only really maters if you are doing really long seams then you ahve to clean the machine regularly

How do you match stitch tension to Dacron stretch? Run the sticthing as loose as possible. Shouldnt be an issue with 4oz dacron.

How do you calculate seam curvature for sail shape? totally depending on the type of sail. I would be putting about 15-20mm in over 3 seams to start with. the luff curve is also very important to the shape

I think sailmaking is a bit more complex than it appears. But, picking up some 4oz Dacron on Tuesday so I'll either end up with a sail shortly thereafter or yet another magnificent cock-up.

Hoping strenuously for the former.

Im down in Waikawa and Nelson next week if you want me to bring something down for you. For the edges I would be just doing a 30mm turnover rather than adding a tape but you will need a rope up the luff . for the eyelets int he corner you are best to go to someone and get them to put them in. the tools needed are quite expensive.

sail.jpgThanks for the replies.

Attached the sail dimensions from the plans. As you can see, its pretty small.

I think I'm ok with the actual construction of the sail - what I don't know is how to build in a shape, if its even necessary on such a small sail.

For example, do I make the sail totally flat but put a little curvature along the foot to induce a bit of fullness, or does each seam have to be a little curved?  I'm sure the luff would be straight as its not attached to the mast, and the leech is self explanatory but what about the yard - would that seam be straight?

Like everything, once you look a little deeper it becomes more complex.