Boat refit videos

I've been watching an interesting, sometimes entertaining video channel on youtube recently by a youngish Danish guy who bought and refitted a 40 year old 30' boat with the intention of living on board and is now doing the same with a 38 footer. He had only a few months experience of sailing when he started. Both boats have needed a lot of work (including extensive osmosis on the second boat) and he's doing virtually everything himself despite having no professional expertise (he's a software developer).

I mention it partly in reaction to a comment IT made the other day about the number of older NZ boats that just aren't being maintained properly, which I'm sure is true. I've found it interesting watching these videos partly because they show just how much a determined and resourceful person can accomplish on their own without a huge amount of experience. Not only is he relentless in tackling every possible project on the boat, he is clearly having a ball in the process, which is kind of inspiring. I know we like to believe in kiwi ingenuity and all that, but perhaps if there was more of what this guy has going around, there might not be as many poorly maintained old boats around. Maybe that reflects the way NZ culture has shifted over the last few decades.

I'm finding watching the videos in chronological order the most enjoyable (he's made 192 so far!), but there's a much shorter overview playlist that gives a general idea of what he's up to.

• Upvote 1

I've really enjoyed these too. I like that he takes the challenge head on and addresses everything, very inspiring to this also, youngish software developer with little experience, and you're right, he's actually pretty entertaining!

I spent a few weeks addressing leaks, battery and wiring issues etc etc on our Lotus, (now up for sale), and was down at the boat most days and weekends fiddling with things. I'm amazed how few people I see on their boats, are many just rotting in their berths or is the maintenance happening at midnight?

Nice work Dambo! How long did that take you?

The little Caribou was about 6 months at home - if you take a look in the gallery, you can see a pic of the new/replaced roof.

The Spencer was done in a couple of months in the yard at Okahu Bay/The Landing but in two (or was it three parts)  Every single day of the week after work/on the weekend.  Rain or shine. A BIG dehumidifier and warehouse blow-dryers.  

Really should have taken more pics and be posting them in the glass over ply repair thread - I'm a f*@king expert... (now) 

The Caribou still sits in the front yard and gets used most years (spent last summer in Westhaven) 

Sadly the Spencer was wrecked by the new owner.  I'd like to think a testament to my work is that he put it on the rocks and the keel didn't fall off!  (one of the many, many jobs was re-welding, sealing, replacing keel bolts, re-glassing, replacing and strengthening floors etc) 

I have learned much - there's probably not a lot I can't do with a plywood boat these days.  I can also rebuild a small diesel, tune a rig, weld, fiberglass, work teak, rewire boat electronics, and all sorts of other cool tricks.  

I recently looked over an old HoS boat and added up the costs for the many repairs etc, then handed the bewildered owner a job-sheet with instructions on who, where and how to get his boat sorted - Apparently the final job came in just a couple of hundy over my estimate.

Have been watching Madz since his channel first started, entertaining stuff. Good on him for selling his house and moving aboard full-time. Although I do wonder about his new boat and sailing it across from England. It didn't ever seem that seaworthy