Removing a bulkhead

I need some advice, Can I remove the bulkhead that seperates the froward V berth from the cabin?

Sorry no photo, The boat is a Catalina 7 trailer sailer. It has a door that can be closed effectively sealing off the V berth. We don't use the door. My wife finds the space a little claustrophobic, she wants the wall taken away to open up the space. I know the post under the mast is essential but I'm thinking the rest of the partition is for privacy only??

The obvious answer is to buy a 50 catamaran, working on that (one lotto ticket at a time).

I would not be wanting to potentially compromise the structure of your hull. The bulkhead is most likely considered vital ( although I am no engineer ).

I would consult with an engineer or at least a well regarded boat builder before considering anything dramatic.

I'd certainly not remove it without consulting Alan or another naval architect. It is a structural member there to add torsional stiffness to the hull, and to help bear the compression loading induced by the rig. The pic above seems to show a beam on the deck head, and there is likely another under the floor to bear these loads - does yours have that?

It is a structural member there to add torsional stiffness to the hull, and to help bear the compression loading induced by the rig.

That's exactly what it does. In a bigger Hull, something could be built to replace what this does, but I can't think of anything that does not end up taking up space and create more weight. A Bulkhead adds a lot of torsional strength with little additional weight.

Thanks for all the replies, yes the picture is the same as mine.

It sounds like a bad idea to remove any of it, I will email Alan just to confirm.

It's not a deck head beam as such, it's the channel for the pop top (the entire cabin top lifts up) I guess the inherent strength of the channel acts as a beam. Because of the pop top I think the bulkhead might be even more important.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Awesome space!

Googled Catalina 7 and came up with this photo. There are others also.

oe

That's a Catalina 22, they are American. The Catalina 7 is designed by Alan Wright, although they do look similar and both have a big pop top they are not the same boat.

Wow that was a quick reply!

Alan said,

"Some Catalina's were fitted out differently to suit owners specific

requirements.

An entry bulkhead and door to the frd berths was not common but a hull ring

frame or partial bulkhead is essential in way of the mast.

Cheers,

Alan Wright"

I told the wife it will be easier to get a bigger boat,

That Noelex 30 on trade me looks nice.......

• Upvote 1

Seems like a perfect opportunity to lobby the wife for a bigger boat. Slip the words "safe", "safety", and "kids" in as many times as possible and hey presto.. it's time to start browsing trade me!

Love the way you think!

The Catalina 320 has a useful solution to this problem. They have two lift out panels that opens up about 70% of the bulkhead.

Have a look here;

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/13851#

Now you have done it, She saw the size of the cabin and said yup lets get a bigger boat!

When she agrees just try and suppress the evil laugh.. Otherwise things come unravelled pretty quick

I don't think I will have the evil laugh problem, it was a little too easy......hmmm could be a trick?