bump n grinds mast (or lack of)

compression failure. mast was about 20yrs old aswell.

luckily no one was hurt. spreader gauged a chunk out of the hull and broke a stanchion. but we managed to salvage all the sails and halyards. only rip was along the luff tape of the gennaker.

Yep there it is!! To be honest no idea why it failed. The boat and rig have only been in the water and workn since 2008...but the mast sections are older than that! NO fault of the crew and the conditions seemed ok - 12-15 knots NW...not much vang on but seems to be a compression failure!! All the same - watch out for M2 - gotta be better than M1!!!

Hey wont be the first or the last to see the iron hit the water!...Guessin JH will be lookn for a new job for a while:) :oops:

never nice when that happens - but could be a perfect opportunity to upgrade to a carbon stick...

I'll second that. You've got a carbon prod, time to go all the way!

That was my first suggestion when I saw them coming in - if a little tongue in cheek it's still worth looking at fer sher

...and yes young J. I did reckernize ya - half a size bigger than when you sailed with me!

A good day was had on the Meltdown :thumbup:

I'll tell you how much fun we were having. When your mast went over we were so far ahead of you that you were a little white dot on the horizon. Now THAT'S fun! :lol:

So it's true AA. You have flipped over to the dark side... (That good huh?)

Give up JH. You will never win that arguement, except when you come to pay Marina fees, or get hit by a 50kn squall......

I'll tell you how much fun we were having. When your mast went over we were so far ahead of you that you were a little white dot on the horizon. Now THAT'S fun! :lol:

I'd just like to point out at this point in time we too had a healthy lead over the Bump, and where somewhat bemused when we couldn't work out where she had gone at the bottom of the reach (having been looking for an actual mast and all...) I was actually starting to consider the possibility of a win over the series leader, but not to be :evil:

There is the possibility loosing the rig was a cuning ploy to avoid being beaten by us :wink:

I figured we were having a good race as we were fairly close to Kant Know at the first top mark (fairly close being we could still see them). This resulted in a debate if they already lapped us. As it transpired they just had learners on board :lol:

Archived