How much faith should you have in an epirb?

From Evans Starzinger on CF:

I should add that Beth just last week interviewed the USCG (5 of them on a conference call) on how (and how well) international SAR was working.

They specifically said that the Indonesian SAR leadership had changed recently and that they though/hoped the situation there was now improved. But they also said that #1 if you are more than 300 miles from shore (anywhere) you should not count on getting rescue at all and certaintly not anticipate anything in less 36-72hrs (depending on shipping density), and #2 nearer shore in a lot of the "3rd world" you should again not count on getting rescued. There are just not that many SAR assets once you get outside of the 1st world coverage areas.

Honestly, I don't think you should count on being rescued anywhere ever it's just a bonus if it happens.

I think we need to concentrate more on self reliance while at sea, but hey thats just my $0.5 plus gst worth

(edited because I missed a word out)

Not sure what your question is Squid.

Title asks about EPIRB (suggesting a technical reliance question) but the narrative you've opened with is about the local rescue facilities in your area which are nothing to do with your EPIRB (or SSB or Sat Phone for that matter).

If I try anwer the question I think you're asking "How much faith should you have on being rescued anywhere in the world?" the chances rise in proporition to how well developed the region is. Same way if I dail for emergency services in a 1st world country I expect them to be on the scene within minutes. In a 2nd or 3rd world country you can try dialling for help but in reality you need to look after yourself e.g. get yourself to hospital.

Unless someone starts throwing a pile of GPS satellites up to replace the fast crapping out old ones, knot that much in a wee while I think Mr Squid.

And what Willow and AC said.

Does it really matter? Aren't we all going to be fried by global warming on Dec 21st 2012 anyway?

EPIRB satellites are different from GPS satellites.

I think EPIRBS have saved more lives than life rafts by now. We're lucky that the NZ RCC is so good, and will support Kiwis, no matter where they are in the world.

EPIRB satellites are different from GPS satellites.

I think EPIRBS have saved more lives than life rafts by now. We're lucky that the NZ RCC is so good, and will support Kiwis, no matter where they are in the world.

But what can they do if an epirb goes off near Sri lanka. We ring Sri Lanka and say , "one of our boats is in trouble 250 miles south of you" and they say "and your point is?"

a message regarding the distress call will often be sent across the Sat-C system and be printed out on ships in the area so one of the many ships passing by there should respond.

If the GMDSS gear is working correctly the ships in the area should be alerted.

Perhaps you could encapsulate the entire history of crew.org in a single mega-poll by asking people whether they think they have a better chance of getting:

a) a speedy rescue off a third-world country

B) a fair hearing from the NZ criminal justice system

c) reliability out of a shackle made in the east, or

d) a PHRF that you are totally happy with.

Seriously though, if the issue is:

There are just not that many SAR assets once you get outside of the 1st world coverage areas.

and some of these countries are still dealing with problems like sanitation and drinking water that affect the survival of their own citizens onshore...is it reasonable to expect anything different? [as you slide past on your world cruise, no offence intended].

But Squid, there would be very little of the Ocean that would not have a vessel within a day or two of anywhere, apart from the extremes of ocean that most average crusiers would not be anyway. And not to mention that even places like Sri lanka, there is someone's Navy somewhere. Don't they have to under Universal and Maritime Law, go to aid of someone in Distress?? Certainly ordinary Shipping does.

But I am like you in many ways. Jury rig and what ever to get you home adn EPIRB would be the last ditch effort as you are stepping up into the Liferaft. It would be nice to know that having to step up to the Liferaft and setting off that EPIRB as I did so, that someone would hopefully be then heading in my direction.

People seem to thrive on worst case scenario's, leading to what happens if!! etc.etc. Self reliance is the correct way to go, this isn't helped by the safety industry doing what they do best, using fear to sell their products. We should be taught that an epirb is for use only after every other possibility has been exhausted. Not because you are seasick or don't like the size of the sea's that are running.

In the Pacific you will not get a response from any of the authorities there. As previously stated they have more important things to worry about. Others of the yachting fraternity may come to your assistance if contacted by radio but they are not linked to epirb signals. The moral being that if you don't have the self reliance needed to go cruising safely maybe you shouldn't be there!!

People seem to thrive on worst case scenario's, leading to what happens if!! etc.etc. Self reliance is the correct way to go, this isn't helped by the safety industry doing what they do best, using fear to sell their products. We should be taught that an epirb is for use only after every other possibility has been exhausted. Not because you are seasick or don't like the size of the sea's that are running.

In the Pacific you will not get a response from any of the authorities there. As previously stated they have more important things to worry about. Others of the yachting fraternity may come to your assistance if contacted by radio but they are not linked to epirb signals. The moral being that if you don't have the self reliance needed to go cruising safely maybe you shouldn't be there!!

The most sensible post for a long while, give the man a rum.

In a coastal situation the rescue services would rather you let them know you have a problem even if you are still working on a solution.

Getting a mayday call once it's dark, and the weather has turned to crap isn't helpful to a rescue situation.

Better to send out a pan pan so the rescue services can drift into the area without haste while being kept in the loop.

Obviously this doesn't totally apply 1000 miles from the nearest shore, but who knows, a ship may be just over the horizon.

I'm not talking about setting off an epirb just in case though, more using the radio gear :)

Archived