Standard Horizon

Hi Guys,

I have a GX2100 Matrix AIS Standard Horizon VHF radio which needs to go to the local repair agent for a MMSI number change.

If there isn't one in NZ its vkradio.com.au in Australia.

Does anyone know who this is in NZ?

Cheers

Al

Marine Deals sell them, maybe it is them or they can point you in the right direction.

Funny you should mention it. Rang Marine Deals and this is how the call went:

Q: Hey I have a Standard Horizon Radio that needs service. Can you tell me who that is or tell me who the Distributor is in NZ?

A: Did you buy it from us?

Q: Dunno - was on the boat when I got it.

A: If didn't sell it we can't help.

Q: I get that, but perhaps you can just tell me who the distributor is - if they do not service them they will know who will.

A: Sorry that is confidential.

Q: Perhaps then you could ring the distributor for me, and ask the question on my behalf?

A: I don't think this is possible.

Not very helpful. I will not buy anything from Marine Deals again on principal.

• Upvote 1

I have bought a few things from marine deals. Ive had two issues with products that have been rectified perfectly. Whilst that guy sounds like an asshole, I will not hesitate to buy from them again.

My experience with them has been less than helpful also.  Their backup on a product I purchased off them was useless.  In the end I had to ring the supplier myself and sort the issue.  They seem to direct import a lot of stuff bypassing the local agent/distributor.  

Personally I also choose to get bitten once and then shop elsewhere also.  Lucky for us there are some very good and reputable suppliers out there.  

Of course if you want fishing tackle and bbq's well Marine Deals are probably a good choice.  

My experience with them has been less than helpful also.  Their backup on a product I purchased off them was useless.  In the end I had to ring the supplier myself and sort the issue.  They seem to direct import a lot of stuff bypassing the local agent/distributor.  

Personally I also choose to get bitten once and then shop elsewhere also.  Lucky for us there are some very good and reputable suppliers out there.  

Of course if you want fishing tackle and bbq's well Marine Deals are probably a good choice.  

The real shame is that I think Standard Horizon actually is a pretty good brand, at a good price. I suspect they parallel import them too.

The technology got old and people moved on so it left our shores in an official capacity. But it is strange as Standard Horizon is the marine radio side which no one is doing yet they are also 'Yaesu' which is a big name manufacturer in aviation radios which are easy as to buy in NZ.

It was a little more complex than that KM. The Company had been around for 60 or more years, under different names. Over that time it has been Sold, broken up and bit's sold, bits passed around like Musical chairs and sold again and companies starting up under the name and not having anything to do with actual Standard Horizon.

The very original company began in the very early 50's making TV's . It was called Vertex Standard back then. They not long after changed their name to General Television Service Co. and somewhere around then, they also started Standard Horizon. They then branched into Radio with an SSB in the early 60's. the changed their name to Yaesu Musen and started producing Transceivers. They were the first to produce a solid state unit way back in 1970. In 2007 I think, Motorola bought that part of them. Within those years, the had branched out into many electronics with Marine navigational equipment. that was all sold off and Navman and Simrad bought some of it. There is more, but I am sure that lot is boring enough.

Std Horizon (Yaesu) stuff is good, I have one of their VHF's with ais, that with a wifi connection sends to my ipad. Bought from the states, "Milltech Marine".  used NZ posts you shop to get it here, very well priced inc. postage and GST, against whats available here.  Milltech good to deal with, lots of additional info available online, etc.

Word just in from a mate, he said try asking a mob called Com Communications something or other. In Mt Roskill apparently. They are big on radios, more amateur and ham but are the sort of people who could do it or could know who can.

You're thinking of Com-Centre Communications - http://comcentre.co.nz/ As you say they deal mostly in ham radio stuff, but probably know the rest of the market.

The owner Richard Rowntree was a school teacher of mine many decades ago and ran the ham radio club. Very likely responsible for me becoming an electronics engineer. Good guy from my distant experience.

I wonder how many technologies and good stuff has been lost to corporate shuffling and jiggery. I reckon a lot more than many probably think

Lots.

But if you think back to the 50's on through to the 70's, Japanese Electronics companies had big problems trying to break into many international market. The US being one of them. We talk about the Made in China stuff today, but back then, it was "Jap Crap". And the US viewed the Japanese Electronics industry with great suspicion. I can remember when Integrated Circuits first became a thing. There were myths that the Japanese had secret stuff built into these mysterious devices that could be turned on with the flick of a switch and then the Japanese would suddenly have control of everything. And as many if the IC's for used in military stuff back then, there were huge fears that the Japs could turn US Missiles back against the US.

Of course,it then all changed from Made in Japan to Made on Tawian. Now it is Made on China and such.

If you want to know why we pay so much for our Marine equipment and think we have many choices, take a look at for instance, Brunswick Corporation and what they own.