Race week

im bringing boat up from Tauranga and have never been to Bay of Islands. ill arrive before marina has space for me. i have a 3.23m draft. where is a good place to anchor with good holding and reasonable shelter. thank you

Formula,

South of the Bay Whangamumu is good in anything, how far you go in depends on weather. Whangaruru good in anything except medium / strong east, even then not a complete disaster.

The bay itself tends to be more of a pick based on weather thing.  Most of the all weather anchorages tend to have permanent moorings in them.  Tends to be something nice inside Urupuka that works in an easterly sea breeze.  Opua inlet itself always has shelter somewhere though we've always found somewhere we liked before getting in that far so can't swear to it for overnight.  Closer in to Opua you are the more you have issues with moorings and wakes from traffic.  Really it's for us a case of looking and checking charts for depth once we're there.

From memory there's a section on anchorages on the Coastal Classic site which might help more, my experience is pretty much limited to finding a pozy for one night.  Akarana cruising handbook if you have a copy is pretty descriptive if you want to check a particular bay and usually on the money, definitely worth having a copy.

thank you for that. was planning on barrier first night then either wangamumu or wangaruru the second night. bringing boat up on my own so wanted easy sails distance wise. been studying charts over the last few nights. have chartplotter but more prefer charts when going into places unknown. ill sus out tracking down an akarana cruising handbook.

Should be plenty of options for places to anchor in the BOI if you get there early.

I'd start with pipi bay (awaawaroa) on moturua for breezes from the northern half of the compass and opunga or waipiro for anything southish. All have more than enough depth for your draft.

One place I would steer clear of is otehei bay on urupukapuka. Chart shows 3.3m in there, and good shelter in almost any direction, but the entrance is shallow so while you might get in there in the top half of the tide you might have to wait for the next one to get out.

Formula, great to have you back out on the water!

I'm taking the Elliott 50 sportivo up and we are in island racing division 1 with ran tan and equilibrium. Thought you might be a better fit in there with us than windward lewards with the TP52s.

we looked at divisions and after talking with harry on mayhem we decided to do A division with them as it gives us more races per day. we are learning the boat especially with all the mods weve just finished. we know we're nowhere near the tp's pace but we are coming up to learn the boat in its new configuration and just enjoy the week sailing.  boat has all new inside structure from engine to 2m in front of mast. cabin bubble' longer prod and we also plumbed up the bow.