Trimaran for sale on Trade Me - Any thoughts?

Terry B

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 129677.htm

Hey all, I've finally sold my trailer sailer (money ain't in the bank yet but I'm sure it will be soon?!?).

Soooooo, I can go shopping for a new (second hand) boat. YAY!! And a good time to be buying me thinks...........

Saw the tri above for sale. I know nothing about multi hulls - don't know much about keelers either come to think of it!!! - but was wondering whether this looks like a bargain to your more experienced eyes (given that we only have the details in the ad at the moment). And what you think of the design...?

I sold the trailer sailer to get a keeler in the 28 - 30' range. But hey, doesn't hurt to look at other options does it?

The boat I need is for unambitious Hauraki gulf cruising with friends and family. Don't need a race machine but don't want a s-l-o-w boat to China either.

Whatever I buy, I'll be getting a full survey done! Once bitten, twice shy..............

Look forward to thoughts from all you unbiased, mono hull guys - plus the cat/tri sailers..............

Cheers TERRY

These boats were biult like a brick dunny. Heavy and Slow when measured against the light weight stuff of today. I tend to view them as a Mono with outriggers only because the outer hulls are really only storage spaces. They are not part of the centre hull as far as internal space goes, only part by deck connection. But in saying that, you get a little more internal volume in the centre hull because you don't have the deck and with cabin rising from deck level, around it cutting into the inner area. So the volume is able to be utilized more efficiently. That is about the limit of my expertise on these. Years ago I looked at one of these and a Warram design and I really liked this over the Warram. I thought the Warram was very clostrophobic. But if you want speed, you have to go with more modern lightweight. If you want stability, well they are pretty good. Especially on a mooring.

I would be hesitant at the price though. I think that might be a little on the steep side for what you have there. However, you need to have a good look first. It depends on what has been updated and what is old and needs updating. The rigging looks like Galv. That can be a good thing if it is in good condition, as if it is looked after, it can live forever. But that also mneans the rigging could be old, thus everything else couldbe old and you maybe in for upgrades. Just something to consider is all.

Wheels, don't know about that. My old man had a Piver Trimaran and off the wind it used to fly. I remember we got 15 knots out of the old girl one day, and it was only 25 feet. Going to windward was a different story mind you. This Tri in question was in Napier from memory for some time, and for sale for 80 k for a long time a few years back. I think the current owner chucked a new engine in it due to the old one clapping out.

Be a great boat off the wind and roomy. I sailed one of these back from Tonga about 10 years ago and as long as it wasn't hard on the wind it went quite well and had a great motion at sea. Built like the brick shithouse would be correct but watch for rot.

I am meaning slow against a modern day lightweight Tri, not Mono, although there are plenty of lightweight monos that can beat 15kts. Dawn was telling me last night, she achieved the fastest speed out of the Navy Chico yesterday and was of course skyting about it to everyone...as she would and good on her... but the skipper told her that he has had 15kts out of it once. Once you get a Hull on the plain, waterline length is no longer a factor. The advantage of a Tri is that because it doesn't heal over, the hull plains far easier. But typical of any of those older multi's and a few newer ones for that matter, none of them point high.

Don't think the tri (or multi's in general) are right for me for various reasons.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

So I'll start another thread - about which 28' - 30' you recommend!!

I'm anxious to get one before Xmas -

TERRY

At first glance this Hartley tri looks like a reasonable deal...assuming the sails are not stretched out of shape.....how well do these multis point....could you hit 45 degrees apparent and still maintain some speed....a pretty open question i know...

cheers..Gary

i looked at the hartley tri the other day , it has a good motor and the ad is very good , everything else is hard to recognise from the photos, mast and sails are pretty bad , mouldy inside, lots of diesel in the bilge, the shot of the cabin is very wide angle. some rot in the ply, it would be a miracle if any one bought it for any where near that money.

Archived