Fiji Race 2010

Quarter Pint

a small boat won this event, and upon his arrival the organisers tried to protest him out. whatever some of us might think of this particular sailor, he did do it solo and he get get there and he did it in a 30ft 20 year old Muir

well done Bretton

post-971-141887160715.png

Say 'the smaller ones don't want to be there' is a total crock of sh*t. Didn't you read that thread a few months back where quite a few smaller boats said they would love to do it but only if they were racing like on like. Like me, most didn't regard putting 30fters next to 60fters a race. The thread also made mention of what I did above about just knot feeling wanted. If a club puts some effort in to the shorter end of the fleet I'm sure they would get entries.

What? They are called Divisions.

All the "horrible big boys" started in other divisions. If you and your mates are waiting untill someone creates an offshore for <30ft you will be waiting a long time. (or getting a 6.5)

Dont talk about it just do it.

Maybee less posts and more working bees might help?

dirty deeds would have smoked u all

Writing a media release

Option one... employ Zoe to do it for you. :)

Or...

• Date it and state where/who it’s coming from.

• The most important information should be in the first sentence or two. It’s hard work to have to read through to the end to find out who won, and if media have to shorten your story they tend to simply chop off the end.

• Start by covering... WHO, WHEN, WHAT, WHERE, HOW

eg. Solo sailor, Bretten Holland took the overall PHRF win in the 2010 ANZ Auckland to Denerau Yacht Race, arriving into Fiji yesterday after eight days, 16 hours and 32 minutes at sea.

• Supporting info follows in descending order of importance.

• Timeliness is important – Get it out quickly.

• Word economy is important – short and snappy is better than long winded and ‘flowery’

• Limit paragraphs to between one and three sentences.

• Offer reliable contact name, number and email at the end for follow up or questions.

• Include quotes from key people if possible.

• Attach one or two images in if you have them. (With photo credit note if required)

• Accuracy – proof read it and use spelling and grammar check.

• Format – plain text without too much formatting is best - makes it easy for media to publish

I can supply a media contact list of key yachting media (email me on jodie@yachtingnz.org.nz) and further advice to event organisers, teams and/or individual sailors. I will happily run reports in the Briefings newsletter which goes out to around 6000 people.

Another New Zealand sailing news website, Sail-World’s Richard Gladwell (sorry David) recently gave some really comprehensive guidelines on the topic. http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Sail-World ... ines/68014

JBW

Wow that Sail-World guide is very thorough! Don't be too daunted, even if you aren't a pro writer or don't have heaps of time to put into it, giving it a good shot is better than nothing and the effort is always appreciated by media, who can always do a bit of editing.

Two clubs that do a good job are Waikawa in the Sounds - Nicky does a good job of keeping in touch with the media after major events and her info is often used as the basis for newspaper stories - and Lesley Haslar with her BOI newsletters (one of which I just received a few minutes ago). They both have loads of character and good information and are really effective and fun. In particular Lesley's enthusiasm is contagious and I'm sure her updates are a significant contributor to the growing fleet at BOI.

Thanks ladies.

Now Mr Squidly those posts need to go into Tech Talk?? Headed - Here's help on how to do your event report and the contacts, or something like that.

The more we as boaters/clubs can help the media, the more the media will help yachting get more coverage. That's gotta be all good or in todays speak a win-win.

Far be it for me to write something more just so Bull can read something that wasn't there in to it ;) If we can get more smaller boat, dingy sailing reports into the wild the less likely or it may help reduce the sport as being seen as one full of big flash boats and or rich pricks only. Hell, some locals in Whataphuka may read one and find they have a Yacthie just around the corner so pop down for a visit and a sail...... and then keep doing it. Another win-win.

Now back to finishing a rush job on a small 45mt 58 million dollar boat :lol: :lol: A fizz nasty so it isn't really a real boat ;)

Far be it for me to write something more just so Bull can read something that wasn't there in to it ;) If we can get more smaller boat, dingy sailing reports into the wild the less likely or it may help reduce the sport as being seen as one full of big flash boats and or rich pricks only. )

Cricky KM, you really must have a monumental chip.

Be careful it doesnt hold your head under, thats how the brain becomes starved of oxygen and can lead to dribbling and or inane posts.

Far be it for me to write something more just so Bull can read something that wasn't there in to it ;) If we can get more smaller boat, dingy sailing reports into the wild the less likely or it may help reduce the sport as being seen as one full of big flash boats and or rich pricks only. )

Cricky KM, you really must have a monumental chip.

Only in your mind, which probably only due to your apparent lack of ability to read. Keep trying, one day you'll get there.

That's a tad unfair really. It's blatantly obvious you just don't understand so I shouldn't be so harsh, Sorry Bull.

Its all very well talking it up for the single handed sailor , who im my book did well . But does anyone know about the total cockup with his handicap . He has installed an Canting Keel and 2 Daggerboards . This in its self is fine but when he declared it to YNZ they didnt adjust his handicap and he raced under his old one . I think youll find YNZ and Akarana are sweeping this under the carpet and the win while earned may not off been justified !

Can someone shed light on this as I believe that REVS was on an whole the best performing boat. . Hats off to the Bay Boys as they have earnt Kudos amongst there peers again !!!! :D

Oh by the Way where was General Lee again ?

his keel cants to 18 degrees

what does the ran tan do?? 45??

the keel makes up for the 3 other crew he cant find not the 30 crew he has replaced

Think you'll find the average penalty IRc applies on full canting vs. fixed keel on the same boat is around 3.3%

Would also refer you to the slightly alternative view of how people performed in the race

http://www.racetrack.org.nz/race.php?ra ... &ps=50&s=5

Not that I wish to knock Revs performance as she sailed well, particularly in the final stages, but I remain unconvinced. Think the reality is the smaller boats spent relatively more time in breeze.

what a great result

I think if you have a look at race track results for the coastal classic - the boat that sailed the best above their handicap won the race

skiddy two at 114% is a winner al day long

well done Bretton - you're a .................. and a star

looking forward to reading your story :wave:

Guest Dry Reach
Thanks ladies.

If we can get more smaller boat, dingy sailing reports into the wild the less likely or it may help reduce the sport as being seen as one full of big flash boats and or rich pricks only. Hell, some locals in Whataphuka may read one and find they have a Yacthie just around the corner so pop down for a visit and a sail...... and then keep doing it. Another win-win.

;)

Well said there KM. Promoting dingy sailing and to the poor to middle income "majority" and promoting more dingy sailing and local regatta's is the answer to grow the sports numbers, talent base, IMAGE, and ultimately the future at world and olympic levels. I just wish we lost our focus on putting all our SPARC money into the Olympics, and 20 )mainly overseas based) sailors!

Who do yo think could manage and action this???... ah? let me :think: Think :crazy: ...

answer here..........

markm I don't get your post re canting advantage at 3%.

When that 30' canter finished with Georgia in the Coastal are you saying that they are only 3% better than if they weren't a canter?

When Skiddy Too changes his keel to a canter, are you saying the advantage is only 3% or the equivalent of 3 on the rail?

I think we need to change the policy on our boat and start putting three on the rail so we can screach around the ocean at 25kts as well!!

Archived