Fiji Race 2010

Quarter Pint

Yes the coverage of the race was very dissapointing and most family and friends had trouble following it so no doubt the general public had no chance at all, but the resources of our local clubs are very limited and the organisers at Akarana did a brilliant job of organising and running a brilliant race that culminated in a great destination where we were welcomed by the Denerau community and our every need taken care of with a smile and a thank you!!

It was a great boat race with little seperating the various boats on corrected time and while the general public may struggle with the various rating systems there is a yachting audience who understands it well and would have bought into the race given the information and opportunity.

It is also not known how much promotion and press releases that were put out by Akarana, they may have been providing the information and the various media may have ignored them or not reprinted in full. I note the very little coverage on Sailworld and none in the mainstream media. Our IRC victory didn't rate a mention on Sailworld or the local media but has had wide coverage offshore.

Then when an article does get through the filter people complain becasue their favourite isn't mentioned, why not salute those articles who succeed and work to add to the list rather than winge because your favourite hasn't got into print.

Now we also have the usual whingers about the 50'ers and the number of crew etc...we usually race offshore with 7( not 12) but this year took 8 as a favour to a friend, I have a very stable crew and don't take crew from any other boats and have a long list of reserves. We would love to see more 40' and 30' out there but despite all the talk there are few who make the effort. This is not crew related, you just have to look at the quality crews who have raced in recent seasons on the 35' - 40's to see that.

As to Skiddy, he never made a sched even when within VHF range going up the coast, never made a sched or satphone call during the race..we thought he had pulled out at the start as we heard absolutley nothing from him at any stage of the race, we were supposed to be in a boat race but we new nothing of a guy who is eventually declared the winner, I don't have a huge problem with that and only have admiration for his abilities but it wouldn't happen in any other offshore race and for those of you who think he has been neglected maybe you might like to give him a kick up the arse because he contributed nothing to the rest of us who were in a boat race.

I don't normally do scheds when offshore either but this was a race and a reqirement of the SI's and the daily sched round ups are a big part of offshre yacht racing and are eagerly awaited twice daily. The Volvo, Hobart, Fastnet, transpac, Vendee would not get the coverage they do if the eventual winner had never revealed his position until the end of the race

Fair point Marsh. I'm certainly NOT having a crack at Akarana as I assumed that they would have had info available. The media clearly made no attempt to cover it at all. Bummer. If ST didn't stick to the rules why wasn't he disqualified? I seem to remember something similar happening last time?

Yep AA I don't know why he wasn't dsq'd or at least penalised as allowed for in the SI's. Lion was penalised last year in the Noumea race and she still made most of the scheds.

Maybe they make allowances because he is a singlehander which is bullshit given that meeting scheds aint that difficult even when shorthanded. If he doesn't have an SSB most of the rest of us rented a satphone for backup for the cost of the about 2 hundy and you have to use those in the cockpit anyway.

Yes I remeber it was the same when he did the last race to Musket.

But my point really was simply that he didn't give the organisers much chance to promote his achievement and the opportunity many have commented on here to promote him as a sinlgehander competing in the race was not available until the end. I didn't see the tracker but I understand he didn't have that in much (it al all) either.

Yeah fair nuf. Well it's clear he ain't a glory seeker - not that anyone doing it this year would be getting any. I guess in some ways I admire that he does his own thing, but overall, rules are rules and they're there for his safety and the sanity of others wanting to know if he's ok.

Good on all of you contestants. A Fiji race should be in my bucket list but it isn't. I admire all people who sail offshore.

Marsh, you have made some very good points, as someone who was out there doing it, while the rest of us were watching.

My own comments were based on the "post-match" wrap-up posted on the previous page by Knot Me, which mentions six boats which featured in the results in some way but not Skiddy. Without taking away from your comments, this shouldn't have needed to be reliant on skeds/trackers.

Incidentally it also invents a new boat manufacturer :thumbup: :

Bennetaeu

Personally I think it should be possible to do better than this.

Oh good golly, I didn't want to start any witch hunts, slur anyone or crap like that.

I just saw a YNZ report on the race that left out a boat, in this case Skiddy, who topped 3 of the 7 published results. And as I do have a strong leaning towards thinking if the races (knot only this one) weren't becoming a 'who's got the biggest flashest boat' promotion, we would see a growth in the smaller boats getting out there doing it. And a very much 'Knot feeling any love' impression I have out of YNZ for much beyond Olympics and AC. Also I know many Mags will just copy and paste into their next editions.

Combine those 4 things and I saw red. You should have seen the original post, she was a nasty one, but that was deleted and while I tried hard I just couldn't find any other word for my thoughts bar 'pathetic'. I did try to leave that out also but it's the best word that described my thoughts both then and now.

Personally I found the coverage OK, it could have been better but I think I had about as reasonable grasp on how everyone was doing 'in the big scheme of things'. The trackers are tiny computers so will play up, computers are designed that way. Then popping in and out was zero surprise to me.

And 2 of the lads here did see some coverage in the news. They said it wasn't much but enough to surprise then there actually was some.

So while there will be discussions for years to come, as they do, re boats H/c's and so on that has nothing to do with my post re the report. The post was made and the only target in my head at the time was the name on the letterhead, that was YNZ.

I am afraid that I disagree with Brent with regard to Akarana. I think they did a crap job. Organising the race is easy, turning it into an event is where they need to be thinking. The only press releases were the stupid ticker comments about birthdays and rugby results - all very down country and hoki. As Brent knows my wife is writing an article about the race for an offshore sailing magazine and there is absolutely no effort from the club to provide information. I bet the sponsors were underwhelmed by the exposure.

As with most issues with sailing the log jamb is at club level and probably because it is left to volunteers, but until you guys kick some arses at yacht club committee level the sport wont change.

I was really disappointed to see a build-up piece for the LVT shown the saturday night of the race start. I stomped around the house making comments about reporting on pro sailing wankers who might do some sailing later in the week when there was one of our biggest local yachting events actually happening and nobody covered it, except a private film company featuring on Sky later in the year. Reality is sailing is covered by Martin Tasker, who I think does a great job, but he was in Europe and so the local stuff didn't get covered.

Knot me, you don't seem to understand that YNZ is not a reporting outlet for these events - as you say the media will cut and paste the release. Where do you think the report came from for the YNZ Briefings? They dont go and report on the events, they ask for the report from the clubs and competitors - no report no coverage! The race report is from the event.

You guys target YNZ, but the real target is your yacht clubs. Volunteers mostly, but slack and lazy in many cases, who can't even be bothered to answer correpondence from YNZ. I sat on committees for around 12 years and in the end gave up as my conclusion was that Kiwi yachties get what they deserve. Typically Kiwi, more time is spent bitching and moaning than actually doing anything - just blame the Government, or in this case YNZ.

Also thought the coverage by RAYC was pretty good especially with the live tracking. Great to be able to view that along with the weather maps to get an idea of what was going on and crew also kept things going.

As for keeping scheds. The rules is the rules. Was expecting the initially advised protest to be upheld but then there was a report via a ship from Skiddy at one stage so I thought maybe he had problems and the race organisers accepted that. Seem to remember a news item regarding him not contacting in one of the SH Trans Tasmans. I think that was later reported as an electrical fault.

My point is that the system is set up so that YNZ provides systems and services via yacht clubs rather than direct to individuals, that is why funding/levies is based on yacht club membership. If you want change, then tell your yacht club rather than bitch about YNZ.

One of the biggest problems with our sort is that a large proportion of the participants don't contribute anything towards the funding of the sport through membership, and keelboats are the worst offenders. only the skipper has to belong to a club, and their are plenty of crew who never pay club memebreship and so never pay anything - they are freeloaders. the owner pays for the boat and through membership and entries pays for the administration/organisation of the sport, and all the crews do is pay for some wet weather gear and maybe a round at the bar. How many other sports are there where you can compete year after year and never pay an entry or a club or association membership?

The sport is difficult to present in the media becuase there are no gate takings and the rules are so complicated that no non sailor will ever understand, and to be frank, sailing is bloody boring unless you are actually doing it.

Oh good golly, I didn't want to start any witch hunts, slur anyone or crap like that.

I just saw a YNZ report on the race that left out a boat, in this case Skiddy, who topped 3 of the 7 published results. And as I do have a strong leaning towards thinking if the races (knot only this one) weren't becoming a 'who's got the biggest flashest boat' promotion, we would see a growth in the smaller boats getting out there doing it. And a very much 'Knot feeling any love' impression I have out of YNZ for much beyond Olympics and AC. Also I know many Mags will just copy and paste into their next editions.

KM why do you perpetually blame the "biggest flashest boat" brigade for the little boats not going out.

The little boats dont NOT go because they dont get a mention, they dont NOT go becase they cant get crew (all sucked up by the big boats) cause back in the day the 30ftrs had 3 or 4 up offshore.

They dont go because they dont want to be there. Most 30ftrs gear isnt up to 40 on the nose let alone 12 hours of 60knots.

Why? I blame the governments for taking warm milk out of schools.

Those were the days when men were men, and sheep were scared. You, you blame the big boys. :?

Yep fellas, I share your frustration and salute your passion for our sport. My comments re Akarana were really about the race, I didn't see the coverage and certainly the lack of coverage aint down to YNZ and I guess I was being a bit of a soft cock re pointing the finger but we were just happy to be in an offshore yacht race.

The old kiwi custom of kicking one sector just to promote another was what got me going (I know this wasn't the intent)....better to take everyone forward at every chance we get.

Go the Skiddy Too (just contribute to the race and do your scheds next time), maybe we can see more shorthanded sailing for this race in the future, it is the perfect offshore race to further develop these skills and a fleet of mini's or Figaro's or Truxton's shorthanded next year would be very cool.

I see SSANZ is promoting a round new zealand race two handed, next year after the RNI the Ak-Fiji would be a great shakedown and a much easier race to take on shorthanded than round NZ.

Wait until Google Earth goes live and we can zoom in on the boats in 'real-time'. Boats will also carry live video streaming. Just imagine; sitting under a cold shower in your wet weather gear watching the race on your 3D wall size screen turning the mixer to warmer a little each day as the boats get north.

Knot me, you don't seem to understand that YNZ is not a reporting outlet for these events - as you say the media will cut and paste the release. Where do you think the report came from for the YNZ Briefings? They dont go and report on the events, they ask for the report from the clubs and competitors - no report no coverage! The race report is from the event.

Opps, Thanks for the clarification Brett. I did indeed think that was written by YNZ.

In that case it's even worse as the host club should know everything. Oh good golly, that's a shocker.

In that case I apologise to YNZ for knot understanding the guts behind the report they sent out, even though I think they could and should do a quick check especially in big events with history like this, something to ponder maybe. I'd like to retract most of what I've said and been thinking over the last day or 2 in relation to that report and YNZ.

And RAYC, I can only say get your excrement together. I know it's knot easy for a club with volunteers but one person could generate a pile of paper i.e. good race reports, in an hour or 2. What was just sent out was just crap, counter productive to both the event and yachting in general.

Bull, I didn't want a sh*t fight and the drama that's now going on so are reluctant to start the whole big verse little again. But as you asked, the pre-race promos and report shows the focus of events like this does seem to have swung all 'big and flash'. I have a smaller boat and are actively changing it to get Cats 1 and 2. From all the promos, literature, radio reports, general talk and now post race reports, knot one bit said to me 'Come do the XX race in your small cheap boat, we do really want you to come and play'. All I saw was 'Come do this race that has got these big expensive race yachts..... and we would like some others just to bump up the number of entries'.

I have zero issues getting a experienced offshore race crew (I can very easily get more than I require), getting the boat ready and starting. 40kts on the nose, harden up there Bull, I've sailed in more than that with mum and the kids aboard, totally drama free. If 40kts scares you, buy a fizz boat. What a bollix statement that was.

It's just a case of I don't want to be treated like a second class entry just to fill out the entries list. I'm knot going to enter a race that I feel doesn't at least try a little to appreciate the work me and my team have put a lot of effort into getting ready for.

The 2 paras above apply to more than one event so it's knot totally this race only. And obviously a tad general. And at this point I'd like to specifically exclude SSANZ as I believe they do in fact cater for and appreciate all entries no matter what they are.

Saying that, if my boat was up to speed the chances were high we would have started that race, in the Premier Div, we weren't going to do it just for a cruise.

Say 'the smaller ones don't want to be there' is a total crock of sh*t. Didn't you read that thread a few months back where quite a few smaller boats said they would love to do it but only if they were racing like on like. Like me, most didn't regard putting 30fters next to 60fters a race. The thread also made mention of what I did above about just knot feeling wanted. If a club puts some effort in to the shorter end of the fleet I'm sure they would get entries.

As I didn't want or expect quite this response to be part of the closing play of this years events, I'm now outta this thread. If Bull would like to continue the chat re big and little, which I think could do with a nice thrash out, start another thread please.

Guest Rocket

I started the big versus little aspect and I stand by it.

I am well over this fascination with the largest boat - particularly in respect to ocean racing.

What is missing in the game is well sailed little boats winning - then we get one and the press release ignores it WTF?

They should pull that report and put out a corrected one which appropriately recognises Skiddy Too or whatever his name is.... best effort in freaking years!!!

Saying that, if my boat was up to speed the chances were high we would have started that race, in the Premier Div, we weren't going to do it just for a cruise.

Knot Me you have the concept of the Corinthian Div completely wrong. It's not a cruise as you put it it's a sub div of the race that's competing against everyone else. The only difference is that the start is earlier so that the leaders should finish about the same time and everyone can be there for the pissup

It's comments like yours that devalue the whole concept :thumbdown: :roll:

If Skiddy had started when he was meant to he would have most likely been first in as Hot Shot was in 2006.

Archived