Fiji Race 2010

Quarter Pint

Guest Rocket

I don't like the concept - but it is down to choice. I feel the game is complex enough without trying to guess when boats started. I refer you to the last White Island Race - I did it and we saw "Corinthian" boats going the other way - i.e. there was no attempt to have all boats finish at once - it was just a shambles. Add to that that a weekend race with a Friday nght will likely attract more punters.

Anyone can understand big beats small on water - no-one can understand starting a

day apart and sailing in completely different weather and then calling it a race...

Say 'the smaller ones don't want to be there' is a total crock of sh*t. Didn't you read that thread a few months back where quite a few smaller boats said they would love to do it but only if they were racing like on like. Like me, most didn't regard putting 30fters next to 60fters a race. The thread also made mention of what I did above about just knot feeling wanted. If a club puts some effort in to the shorter end of the fleet I'm sure they would get entries.

What? They are called Divisions.

All the "horrible big boys" started in other divisions. If you and your mates are waiting untill someone creates an offshore for <30ft you will be waiting a long time. (or getting a 6.5)

Dont talk about it just do it.

Maybee less posts and more working bees might help?

Guest Rocket

I meant to say we crossed paths with "Corinthian" fleet at Cuvier on the first night...

Why not just have 2 divisions that start at the same time and have winners in each with an overall winner - which is what we used to do back in the day when we had fleets... Surely as the financial crisis bites again we have to find ways to play his game cheaper and get it back in front of the public.

A great opportunity to showcase all that is good about our game and the mad bugger participants was missed. Surely TVNZ would have run the story in the news if it was presented as solo dude beats the money and full crews to Fiji....

BTW I don't give a rats that he didn't obey the scheds - half the fleet spent their time switching their trackers off randomly. And I know those things fail constantly... If we are serious about scheds then get a tracker that works and can't be fiddled with bolt it to the back and lets get on with it.

Obviously would agree with Danaide. The fact that we were allowed to enter the Southern 600 series and the White Island Race is all down to the RAYC and their interest in making ocean racing more achievable for smaller boats. The fact that only one turned up is a reflection on owners not the club. They did everything possible to make it ‘doable’. Great communication and high expectations in terms of preparedness and communication schedules. We were in the Corinthian division, two handed, in the smallest boat. We didn’t enter to finish or just cruise. We went as hard as we could. I assume everyone did. At one stage in the evening it was blowing hard and we were both chucking. We lowered the main put on the autohelm finished chucking then got back into it. Them’s the breaks. If the starts don’t suit the premiere boats then start in the Corinthian division. The argument about the weather is crap. Small boats get different weather!! That’s a fact. We’re out there longer. Big boats just moan if they draw the short straw. I haven’t heard anyone complain when the following breeze fades, there’s a period of calm and then a header all the way home for the small boats. And then the big boys keep all the silverware. We were lucky to pick up the two handed win in the Southern 600. We didn’t feel like burglars. We won!!!!! We planned for it. We wanted it. That’s why we entered.

Everyone seems to always be getting ready when it comes to longer races. Enter the bloody race first. That way you have a deadline and will be. Interestingly small boat entries were missing in the Brin Wilson yet quite a few smaller boats were out for the Balokovik. What’s the difference? Cost is a factor but not a major one. Many would spend more in a month on ciggies than it cost to get ready for the White Island Race. Other yachties were generous and loaned us gear. Storm sails, code 0, dan buoy, sat phone….. Fantastic. I loan guys gear too. That’s how it works. What goes around comes around.

I’d love to race further and if I can get a category upgrade will. But stop blaming boat size and your state of readiness. If you’re really committed to an event you will be ready. I was recently in the Devonport Yacht Club and couldn’t help looking at all of the old pictures on the walls. Seemed to me that the predominant boat in the 1977 Round North Island race was the Raven 26. I think we’ve just got soft.

Part of the reason for the changes in participation numbers is, I believe, the fixation with being first to finish or be amongst the leaders. Interesting that the same thing hasn’t happened in motor sport. Look at the rally scene. What about the challenges of; being organised, being ready, of competing and of completing. Look at the solo Trans-Tasman this year. It was mostly about personal commitment and personal challenge.

As far as the Fiji race goes I take my hat off to the boys on the Cheetah. A young guy committed and prepared to do the hard yards to get there. They look like they had a great race and I doubt the challenge was diminished for them because they didn’t finish first. Likewise for Trish in the Trans Tasman. What an effort. When I asked her was she going to have another go in a bigger boat her reply was ‘the challenge was to do it in a Reactor’.

Small boat owners!!! Stop moaning. Stop pontificating. Stop getting ready. You are!!!! See you on the start line in Nov for the 2010 Around White Island Race.

Smaller yachts have never sailed in the same weather as the bigger boats for the entire race duration at any time in the history of yacht racing.

Slower yacht starting a day earlier is no different to finishing a day later after starting at the same time. Sometimes the early starters get the rub, sometimes it's the late ones.

The early start is an attempt to have all the competitors in the club for the prize giving.

There is a pursuit series in the RPNYC program that shows how much of a lottery trying to race vastly different speed yachts against each other is.

It is just nice occasionally when the faster yachts get left on the course for a change when the wind dies. :)

Well said Tman

I think the main reason for more large and less small is the fact that if you can afford to own and campaign a 50'er your more likely to have the time to do it, were as I have to pick and choose what I can fit in and am limited at this point to only one biggy per year

But in a few more years yes we will be there and in a boat under 40'

Guest Rocket

I understand that Slacko but the reality is with Corinthian and Premier you finish up with no winners in the eyes of the media so they ignore the whole event.

But back to the thread - reissue the press release guys - it is an insult to the PHRF winner and stand out performer!

I've only just caught up on this thread.

I do PR professionally, not only in yachting, but in the general business world, mostly for events.

I can tell you that the ONLY way that events like this are going to get media coverage is if the clubs/organisers put a lot of work into making the media coverage happen. I haven't seen any media releases about this event, before or after it. Either I'm not on the mailing list any more, or I just completely missed them. I actually did write a story about the race, and it would have been a good opportunity for the event to have had some good coverage within the sailing world, but was on a deadline and couldn't get information. As a result, it was a very brief little piece just noting the event's passing, and the provisional results.

I say this with all due respect because I know the people involved and I think RAYC are a great club and they are one of the ones that I look up to. The club does do a really good job on many levels and they are really good at making things happen. But I think in this particular area, the efforts made to get media publicity has to be ramped up if you are going to get the results that the sailing public expects.

This includes providing press releases and photos quickly (on an as it happens basis is ideal) so that others don't have to try to pluck stuff out of thin air which almost always results in ommissions. Even then stuff can go wrong. Last year I missed a glaringly obvious new record in the Coastal Classic media simply because nobody told me until too late.... it happens! I did make efforts to readdress it later but it wasn't the same for the boats concerned.

The big boats are always going to get the glory. It's just the way it is. Because small boats are what I love, I try to put a lot of focus on that area in the Coastal Classic but it's an uphill battle and adds a lot to my workload... and to be honest, it hardly gets a notice by the sailing public! (But I do it because I love it)

As an aside, Fendall Halliburton and RAYC actually go to a lot of effort to make offshore yachting attractive to smaller boats. For whatever reason it just hasn't really been taken up this year. I think 'Bull' is on the money with his thoughts about this one.

I don’t usually post, but this time I stuffed up and I need to apologise.

I am Editor of YNZ Briefings and I wrote the wrap up report in question. It wasn’t a press release from RAYC or written on their behalf. It was an article in our newsletter and I wrote it – and sometimes the yachting media publish my copy so it should be balanced and accurate reporting.

I neglected to report on Bretten’s success and it is a glaring omission – no excuses – my mistake. This morning I apologised to Bretten and he has kindly agreed to give me his perspective on the race for me to include in the next Briefings issue.

I have been in touch with relevant media contacts to ensure they don’t use my report from the newsletter without also reporting Bretten’s achievement.

Briefings does include a ‘Contact the Editor’ link, and I welcome direct feedback. I also welcome regatta and race reports from clubs, event organisers and participants – if it’s of interest to the readership and I have space I’m happy to include. More ‘grass roots’ New Zealand content is very welcome.

Jodie Bakewell-White

YNZ Briefings Editor

Top effort Jodie, you will get a lot of support with that approach. :clap:

Great that you have set the record straight re RAYC's involvement as well.

Helluva subject to have to tackle in your first post, very gutsy. The tradition round here is that have to do another extraordinary post at 1000 as well, only 999 to go.

I want to start a poll elsewhere, why smaller boats are disappearing from offshore sailing but need help with the reasons to be voted on (looking for owners/crew to vote)

Please add to the list and I'll start the poll. Don't comment here, I'll move it to a new thread.

Too expensive

Been there done that

too big a performance diff with the really big/fast boats

lack of a decent handicap system

No time (family/work...)

apparently starlight express saw 30 knots boat speed under reefed delivery main on the way back. sounds fun. thats what im told. dont know how much bullshit filter needs to be applied

Thunder will sit on 28 knots with two reefs, no.4 and reacher, with the old keel. Brian was doing 32s coming back from Fiji last time around with three reefs and no.4 but it was heading toward brass balls territory at that point (it was also during that horrendous storm that nailed the country so there wasn't too much choice in it).

The boat was peeling back through past Brown's Island one night during a bit of a wet and a bit of a blow, when a spotlight appeared from the ferry that was being overtaken. The captain couldn't figure out what on earth was going past so got the light out for a look. Apparently they don't get overtaken by sail boats too often.

I don’t usually post, but this time I stuffed up and I need to apologise.

I am Editor of YNZ Briefings and I wrote the wrap up report in question. It wasn’t a press release from RAYC or written on their behalf. It was an article in our newsletter and I wrote it – and sometimes the yachting media publish my copy so it should be balanced and accurate reporting.

I neglected to report on Bretten’s success and it is a glaring omission – no excuses – my mistake. This morning I apologised to Bretten and he has kindly agreed to give me his perspective on the race for me to include in the next Briefings issue.

I have been in touch with relevant media contacts to ensure they don’t use my report from the newsletter without also reporting Bretten’s achievement.

Briefings does include a ‘Contact the Editor’ link, and I welcome direct feedback. I also welcome regatta and race reports from clubs, event organisers and participants – if it’s of interest to the readership and I have space I’m happy to include. More ‘grass roots’ New Zealand content is very welcome.

Jodie Bakewell-White

YNZ Briefings Editor

As the one who made the 1st comment re that report and inadvertently started this cascade of related unfortunate dramas at the end of a good event, I do very much appreciate your post. Hopefully nothing was taken personally as all I saw was the YNZ letterhead. Rather impressed with you 'clean up' for lack of a better description, nicely done.

I'm 100% totally happy the oversite has been picked up and cleaned up. I am now at peace with the world once more, ACC excluded.

It sure was one hell of a subject to pick as your 1st post so once again Thanks for having the 'man jewels' to post and tidy it up for me and that chastised bloke you know well :)

So Sorry RAYC and everyone else caught up in this. I do think it as rough as it may seem to have been there for a few moments I think this will work out for the better for everyone. With luck some are sitting there thinking maybe we should drop a report to Jodie and make it a goodie. There's no downside to that.

And nice one to Zoe as well.

As a quick thought, would it be possible for Zoe and/or Jodie to drop a quick post here or somewhere with a overview of the do's, don'ts, timing, what should be in, what shouldn't, formats and so on for those who may want to send in a report but aren't sure the best way to go about it? Just thinking that might make it easier for the reports to be written in the 1st place as I'm sure an awful lot would be thinking 'I'm no jorno so I'll make a hash of it so better knot write anything'. Maybe a quick run down on that in the next Briefings??

Anyone know the feminine for 'man jewels'?

Archived