Fiji Race 2010

Quarter Pint

Marsh, several boats have had IRC certificates both with canting and without. Of those I was paying attention to or have records, the average difference in their ratings was 3.3%. I would expect this would vary a bit depending on exact detail and nature of a design. Whilst not perfect, it's the best objective measure I know of to determine the difference.

As to Karma or Deep Throttle, I think you may find that the canting aspect has less impact than you seem to think. I would draw your attention to The likes of the Cone of Silence and to a lesser extent, the Melges 32. COS is well documented as being able to at least pace the likes of the Farr 52OD in downwind conditions, that is to say, it's downwind performance is somewhere similar to that seen in last years coastal by Karma et al. Closer to home, you may recall a Kiwi boat called Positive Touch which in good hands was within 3-4% of Overload with her canting keel. Whilst it certainly helps, the canting keel aspect of these boats design is not the primary reason why they are as fast as they are.

For a boat like Skiddy at 3000kg odd, whilst it won't hurt, it isn't going to turn a boat that plays with 88s into a boat that can thump a 1050, the weight benefit just doesn't affect it's ability to plane that much and she doesn't carry enough sail to truly benefit from the gain in righting moment.

Oh, and if you want to screach around the harbour at 25kts, you should infer from the above that it is my opinion that removing 13,700kg of weight from your boat may produce greater benefits than putting three more on the rail.

Thanks Mark for the explanation, us fish mongers take a bit of explaining!!

It also clarified any thought i may have had to go down the canting route, it seems a whole otta trouble for very little gain.

I not sure which 13700 kg of weight you think I should remove, the 13700 the designer put in or the 13700 of various supplies we neeed to keep the machine running.

I also very pleased that normal service can resume and we can keep the crew off the rail!!

thanks again,

Definitely start by taking a leading role in drinking the supplies and emergency rations. After you get through those if the keel is the only thing canting you'll be doing well and the concept of flying around the place will have a whole new dimension to it.

In response to col's remark below... read it and weep buddy...

"apparently starlight express saw 30 knots boat speed under reefed delivery main on the way back. sounds fun. thats what im told. dont know how much bullshit filter needs to be applied"

post-10842-141887161041.jpg

I lent my gps to Squid last year when he did a delivery on that cat. When I got it back it sad the mex speed was 1200 knots! f*ck Me Squid how did you do that? Even a 747 doesn't fly that fast!

I like the case where someone re programmed the little screen on the photocopier. Now when you turn it on it says "coordinating robot uprising".

Hi Guys,

If you didn't already know there is supposably a documentary on the Auckland Fiji Race on Sky Sport 1 at 6:30 tonight, I think it will be repeated a number of times over the next week but not sure of timing.

Kim

Was just about to post that.

We had a 5 part documentary made by Silver Fox Productions.

First part tonight at 6.30pm on Sky Sport 1.

I havent got the programme dates with me, so am not sure if it's weekly or nightly, but here are the next times>sorry cant remember offhand if they were am or pm...(will find out)

Marsh /Mark

On the Karma if we couldn;t cant our keel theres no point in going yachting if you look at it in the respect of our bulb is say 300kg lighter than a standard 30ft boat on a boat that is only 1300kg sailing any so I will put money on it the gains are far more than 3% and I am sure we get appropriatly penalised on PHRF and if we tried on IRC think we would get laughed put the door so no point in trying.

Cheers

Gappy

Agree there is no way Positive Touch would be any where near the speed of the canters except flat running in breeze or in the real light maybe. Having sailed on a number of canting keel boats I think it is the only way to go and really does make a big difference.

Marsh /Mark

On the Karma if we couldn;t cant our keel theres no point in going yachting if you look at it in the respect of our bulb is say 300kg lighter than a standard 30ft boat on a boat that is only 1300kg sailing any so I will put money on it the gains are far more than 3% and I am sure we get appropriatly penalised on PHRF and if we tried on IRC think we would get laughed put the door so no point in trying.

Cheers

Gappy

I've only got 767 kgs on the Demo

Yep guys, I get Mark's power to weight thing but having been beside Pussy and Overload on the water when the breeze goes forward a bit, starts to crank and they dial up the cant it is a beautiful thing and I struggle with the 3%.

I don't think you get fit enough guys on the rail of either boat to match the power they can generate when they get their conditions.

Hi all,

Well it was a gruelling race, especially for us 24yr old (Mike Potter (skip), Roddy Burgoyne, Kim Rose, Kris Lee) first time ocean racers aboard the mighty Cheetah II! It was also one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. Eleven days in the smallest, oldest and slowest yacht in the race was an adventure to say the least! As you all probably know we had our fair share of conditions and pushed the old girl as hard as we could.

Some of the highlights/lowlights include:

Surfing the Cheetah down ocean swells far faster than she was ever designed to go, 14 knots isn’t too shabby.

Passing through the eye of the storm on the second night, wind dropped from gale NE to 10 knots for 30 mins then straight back into gale SW, we made the call to take shelter in Bay of Islands and while en route we watched the wind instrument pinned at 60 knots (the max reading, was definitely gusting more than this, got this on the snout too). We estimate we lost at least 18 hrs by taking shelter but hey safety first, danger last….

Putting our one and only monster masthead kite up in all conditions- downwind, upwind, calm, rough, light wind, heavy wind

Breaking only kite pole, repairing only kite pole (cut a section off it & sleeved it over the break). Pole was a bit short but it worked (featured a bit more flex)

Night watch goodie bags / ludicrous amount of Red Bull shots (cheers Red Bull).

Probably total of 2 days of less than 5 knots wind for us and watching the windex do 360’s. Kite up, kite down, head sail up, head sail down and so on…..

Catching mahimahi en route while the big boats were starving

Arriving in Denerau and getting amongst the awesome Fiji hospitality

Having a well deserved “quiet” rum/rum/rum/rum/rum…..rum….

Cruising the Yasawas and having an absolute blast.

I had a great time participating in the race and would do it again in a flash. The welcome in Denerau was fantastic, facilities were good and everyone was hugely helpful (special thanks to the Skeggs). There were also some pretty major issues with the race, some of which have been touched on earlier in the forums, which need to be addressed for future races. Having no finish boat when you cross the line as you complete your first ocean race was a bit of a downer. As was sitting on the yacht waiting for customs to arrive while the prizegiving was taking place (we could see and hear it)

Perhaps some kind of post race debrief would be in order?

Interesting watching the doco last night, not exactly a balanced view of the race as a whole. I had a HD video camera on board cheetah II so could have contributed some footage to show what the race was like if you are hard core offshore like us Cheetah II folk. :D When I learn how to edit I’ll post it up somewhere.

So in all it was the ultimate boy’s trip and despite the arm chair critics we faced before setting off we proved ourselves and the boat more than capable and had a primo time doing so.

Oh yeah and it only took us 7 days 11 hours to get home, port tack and only one sail change....bit easier than the race!

Roddy

Cheetah II Crew

Great report - thanks (aahhhh the memories!!)

Let us know if you need help with the video. Getting it on to You tube is pretty siimple, then we can all enjoy.

And pick up a bottle of Mount Gay from The North Loft.

An excellent report in Briefings on Skiddy II's Fiji run. Nice work Scribe :thumbup:

Bretton isn't that photogenic though is he :)

Also noted a nice 'send me the news, this way preferably please' in there as well for those who missed earlier in this monster thread. Again nice work Scribe :thumbup: Now lets all get the news to said scribe for everyone to see just how busy many clubs are nationwide.

And I said no one at YNZ listens, I'm very pleased to acknowledge I've now been proved wrong on that point.

Archived