Fiji Race 2010

Quarter Pint

Boats rating less than 0.800 on PHRF
Knot for much longer based on that magnificent effort.

And maybe now the powers that be mightn't be so big boat only focused as well, that'll help.

And maybe now the powers that be mightn't be so big boat only focused as well, that'll help.

Apparently knot.

Top boat in 3 of the 7 results and didn't even rate a passing mention. Raced Solo and didn't even rate a passing mention. Out there in 50kts solo and didn't even rate a mention. Smallest boat in the fleet (? or close as ?) and didn't even rate a passing mention.

That's sad, very sad. Actually it's pathetic.

O’Canada first to Fiji for President’s Trophy

The 2010 ANZ Auckland to Denerau Ocean Race challenged the fleet with a wide range of conditions.

Check below for SKY TV screening times of SilverFox TV's documentary on the race.

Fierce northerly headwinds hit the fleet on day two, as predicted by forecasters in the lead up to the race. Competitors report winds in the 30 to 50 knot range which then subsided as the system passed.

The bulk of the fleet then spent a few days drifting in very light fickle winds before transitioning into the trades which were a little slow to appear.

Open 60 O Canada built an early lead on the fleet and continued to stretch out going on to arrive in Denerau Friday 9:41am, after an elapsed time of 139 hours and 41 minutes. Skippered by Olympic Finn sailor Dan Slater O Canada took line honours convincingly and were presented with the President’s Trophy as first boat to finish.

Caught in the drift-off Wired [bakewell-White 52] followed crossing the line second just over 30 hours behind O Canada. Ran Tan II [Elliott 50] was third three hours behind Wired.

Striking the mid race light patch meant that the corrected time winners were essentially determined in the second half of the race.

On board Bennetaeu First 50, Bird on the Wing, Brent Marshall and crew enjoyed Hors D’oeuvres and full meals. In spite of the offshore luxuries, Bird on the Wing, now a race regular, this year things went their way and the boat claimed the coveted IRC win by a mere eight minute margin from brand new boat General Lee [bakewell-White 36].

When asked about race highlights, Brent Marshall, Bird on the Wing skipper quotes, “Being at sea with a brilliant group of friends and sharing in the joy of ocean racing.”

“The windy second night saw us as one of the boats which advanced best up the course, and the three or four extended kite rides we had at different stages in 20-25kts.”

Ross 40, REVs sailed a strong race pushing to the west early on and persevering with that track despite the wind hole. They were seventh in to Fiji and returned solid results across the divisions – first on ORC Club, second on PHRF, and third under IRC.

Guest Rocket

Well up to us to point it out RAYC - their reporting is sad - the only performance I would be talking about is the little solo boat. Last time I loooked we were running out of big boats with lots of crew in NZ...

Wake up the future is not 50-60 footers with 12 crew it is way smaller - 40 foot or less - $ wil drive this...

I don't know why you are surprised? The RAYC promotion and coverage of the race has been pathetic from start to finish, from their sh*t website to the useless race tracker! They need help! So do the organisers of the Auckland-Tauranga race

To be fair Bretten does not help his cause as he is not the most helpful or communicative character and tends to rub people the wrong way - but then being a solo sailor he simply isn't a normal person. Without a doubt, even with a dubious handicap from our PHRF assessors who must simply be on drugs, Bretten's effort was successful and he should be accorded all the fame and glory that goes to the winner.

Unfortunately the media and the public don't/can't understand our sport (can't blame them for that) and the way that the guy who finishes last can still be the winner?? And the biggest most glamorous boat will always attract the most interest - I think that it is a case of just getting used to it.

It was YNZ and is what will be copied into the Mags etc for next month, as they do.

It wasn't RAYC Rocket. And I agree with the rest of your post.

Nice post Brett and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but with all the pontification gong on from YNZ about growing the sport, reports like that will have the totally opposite effect.

And totally agree Bretton can and often is his own worst enemy but as you say he did get out there and do it so should be afforded the credit for his achievements.

Don't start me on PHRF....

It's a fair point Brett, joe public are only interested in line honours even if they don't understand the phrase. But overall what disappointed me was that there wasn't even a mention of it on the news each night. The Louis Vuitton Series got coverage, so did the TP52 series, both on the other side of the world, but not even of the Fiji race happening right under our collective noses. I know that for the majority of the population watching sailing may be marginally more interesting than watching paint dry, but, I'm just disappointed that our boats, designed, built and sailed by Kiwis don't even rate a mention. I am getting used to it, but it's a pity.

I would have thought "here's a boat sailed by a crazy guy all on his own" would have been a relatively easy sell to the media, being the novelty rather than the norm.

I'd certainly say it should be an objective of yachting (or any sport) to continue to try to portray itself in the way it wants to be seen, regardless of whether or not there is immediate acceptance by the media. Bigger battles have been won over the years.

AA, the issue with Louis Vuitton and TP52s vs the Fiji race on TV would have come down to the availability of good footage, which is the hurdle you always have to overcome with TV - if you can't give 'em good pictures, you are on the back foot.

That's one thing the VOR guys have done a great job with.

Formula One racing would probably not get the same mileage if all they could offer was a text report.

The BS on the tracking website ticker about the rugby really ticked me off at the time. Who cares about some mainlander on board one of the yachts getting upset about the score?

What about some decent scheds position info etc? Keep the crap out of it next year please.

Yeah Murky you're right. But if the Yanks in the spy bases can watch a couple bonking on a beach somewhere from a satellite, then surely a 30 second slot on tv is possible? The LV coverage was good and the TP52 stuff gave me a boner, but hot on the heels of Jessica Watson going solo rtw, (and lets face it she really is a Kiwi) then surely our fleet , and especially Skiddy Too deserved a mention. I don't know Bretton but surely a red yacht around 30 ft-ish must get almost everyone excited!!! :thumbup:

Archived