Bay of Islands Sailing Regatta Anyone??

The Bump

Hey I'm thinking about entering the BOI Sailing Regatta...going to have BnG up there any way - anybody completed the week and your thoughts?? Enteries are open but look a little light - but it is eary days. If anyone has any feedback, let me know. Cheers

Great regatta with well thought-out improvements every year. Go for it - the sooner you get crew, accommodation, marina/mooring locked down, the more fun you will be having while those later entrants are scurrying around trying to pull it all together after they come back from Christmas.

Hay Mr Bump,

Its a very cool regatta, done it three times now.

You can do the hard out windward leeward stuff, which most do, I think 4 odd W/L a day followed by a quick harbour race, or there is the 'Cruising div' which took off last year, its not a good discription. The 'Spinnaker Cruising' is one good harbour race a day with a later start to cater for the boozing the night before. Last year there where 2 doz plus entries so they split it into two fleets. Good competitive sailing around the bay but less intense than the W/L stuff so good for friends and family to come along enjoy some racing and see the BoI.

Good social programme. Unfortunately the legendary Roberton Is beach party has been canned for a weather proof piss up in the sponsors tent on Opua Wharf.

Plenty of sports boat action as well. Couple of Nationals Champs included this year.

Very cool regatta, just do it.

...and don't be concerned with the 'lack' of entries. I was all jazzed up to do it last year, to the tune of pulling my rig and doing some work, getting all mentally prepared etc but when Christmas came there were still only 4 entries so I pulled the pin.

So that meant there were 25 boats in my division and it would have been both competitive and a lot of fun

bugger :problem:

Yes highly recomended, we took the jagged edge up and had the best time ever, i have done it about 6 times on various boat and wouldnt miss it. look for a house, (book a batch or holiday houses is best) for the best value acomdation and stay in paihea within walking distance to the bars and it will make life alot easier. taxis are pretty much non existant.

there is usually a bus that runs between the Norths Beer tent and paihea.

on the trip back we took the jagged thru the hole in the rock, so you would probably fit too.

its great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BooBooNZ#p/u/4/ccARn-Ivy7Q

do it brucie! pity about the roberton party being canned. it was great fun last year :thumbup:

nevertheless, get your entry in and a marina birth booked soon so we dont have to try row out to the boat while blind drunk

JH is sailing on da Bump again in BoI - I predict the keel will fall off in the 2nd race. :lol:

You obviously have not seen the way I over built the bottom!! Even JH could'nt pull that sucker off!

Thanks for all your comments - booking a marina as we speak!! Hope to see you all up there for a bit of fun and beverage or two!!

Yes highly recomended, we took the jagged edge up and had the best time ever, i have done it about 6 times on various boat and wouldnt miss it. look for a house, (book a batch or holiday houses is best) for the best value acomdation and stay in paihea within walking distance to the bars and it will make life alot easier. taxis are pretty much non existant.

there is usually a bus that runs between the Norths Beer tent and paihea.

on the trip back we took the jagged thru the hole in the rock, so you would probably fit too.

its great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BooBooNZ#p/u/4/ccARn-Ivy7Q

Wow that looked like fun....guessing there's more space in there than it looks..!! :wtf:

Archived