Vendee Globe 2020

omg, now Hermann who is vying for the win after time corrections has hit a fishing boat!

At 1950hrs UTC this evening while racing in third place, some 90 miles from the Vendée Globe finish line off Les Sables d’Olonne German skipper Boris Herrmann (Seaexplorer-Yacht Club de Monaco) was in collision with a fishing boat. He reports damage to his starboard foil and some other damage but he is unharmed and has secured the boat and is proceeding towards the finish line at reduced speed.

1 hour ago, muzled said:

omg, now Hermann who is vying for the win after time corrections has hit a fishing boat!

At 1950hrs UTC this evening while racing in third place, some 90 miles from the Vendée Globe finish line off Les Sables d’Olonne German skipper Boris Herrmann (Seaexplorer-Yacht Club de Monaco) was in collision with a fishing boat. He reports damage to his starboard foil and some other damage but he is unharmed and has secured the boat and is proceeding towards the finish line at reduced speed.

Occurring 80nm from the finish and dropping from 17kn to 7kn he should drop from 3rd to 7th. Whilst 3rd/4th should finish within minutes of each other @ their current speeds. Close racing!! 

Excellent interview with Isabelle Joschke.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/22331/isabelle-joschke-i-just-want-to-enjoy-this-sunny-day-to-feel-and-enjoy-the-stillness-under-my-feet-right-now-nothing-more

Those boats sound like a nightmare to jybe.

A tightly matched fleet
That was super exhilarating and exciting, Every 4 hours there you had new standings, there was a new verdict. But at the same time I found it hard, sometimes I found it very hard in the manoeuvres. I felt I couldn't always run them together. In the gybes I could see I was losing ground. I was frustrated and sometimes panicked because when I was going towards the ice zone I could lose 50 miles in a manoeuvre. It was incredibly intense.

But oh so much fun

Seascapes
The seascapes you encounters in the Southern Oceans are unique. The sea is wild, it's scary but at the same time it's made to just surf all day long. Surfing with our boats is a bit mad. Usually we sail for hours of upwind to surf for a few minutes. And there are whole long days of feeling the boat racing fast and hard. I really appreciated and enjoyed the nights in the Pacific Ocean. It was so beautiful! The nights were very short, there was an orange horizon and dream like moons. I felt like it was in a fairy tale when I watched the sea and the skies

• Like 1