F I V E knots

Attended the Open Day of CANANZ (thanks so much for the hospitality!.. and yummy sausages) but was amazed and somewhat annoyed at the speed at which vessels past berthed yachts. OK, we are not talking accessive speed but what if someone was doing something below and a child happened to hang their feet over the side between the topsides and dock? (this has happened). There was scant regard for what their wake was doing to vessels along side and this inside a enclosed harbour. I have personally experienced worse on the pick and a long way from the channel. It seems pride in one's ability to operate a power boat is mostly non existant these days. 5 knots? how does that tui's add go?

agree there are some shockers around. just inside the breakwater near the tank farm while taking the stewart 34 out for a practice sail on sunday. near capsized the thing on the waves 3 big launches kicked up going at about 10 knots. i got wet cos of those waves.

Often why inside Marinas and breakwaters where boats are moored etc, the rule is usually "No Wake Zone". Because 5 or even 3 kts can still create wakes. Especially the small fizznasties where they run around niether on of off Plane, creating an horrific wake.

It is also not just the safety of say some kid with legs over the side, it is the fact that boats are being crunched and rubbed against fenders and damaging paint work, yanking on mooring lines and just being uncomfortable for those aboard.

I wonder if VIDEOing these twits and turning it over would work? As a (ex) launch warden down south, thats how we nailed jet skis (trying to catch them in a Naiad was near impossible) so simply waited for them at the boat ramp! The courts accepted the video as evidence. I know the harbour master can't be everywhere at once but surely some enforcement is possible (before some one gets hurt!). Nothing like fender rubs all along your topsides!

We've done this to death before but the worst instances i've ever seen were by coastguard launches. I still vividly remember (circa 2000 0r 02 or so) the 1020 exiting the w or x fairway and showing me its forefoot nearly back to the keel as it hurdled the wave left by the dickhead in the 45 or 50 ft Coatguard boat doing 12 to 15 down the main fairway. I was in a dinghy,on a glassy day the wave broke down onto the pontoons all along there.

I agree , it should be no wake zones 5 knots max in the marina.

I'm moored on the poles at westhaven and often have to hold on for dear life as a swell from a launch comes through.

Not to mention the BL@#$DY ferries! who the hell lets them come into Westhaven!

SHANE

Wake and power behind it is a Sum of the speed. Size of the wake does not always equate to the power it can pack in itself.

But in most marinas, it is a No wake Zone. 3kts should not produce a wake, at least of anything significant.

Some of the smaller ferries used to use the fuel dock.

Just a FYI, trying to maintain a very slow speed of 3knots on some powered craft can be a challenge due to the speed they will do just clutched in, 6knots was the clutched in speed on a boat I was on yesterday.

One Solution - Only vessels allowed to enter the marina are those that are going to berth there.

Yes that is correct Rigger. And hence why they actually say a "no wake zone" instead of 3 kts. Many of the Mussel boats in Havlock have very little steering because they have such shallow hulls and are so wide and have to travel at 10kts through the channel so as they can steer. Or so they say anyway.

However, the hulls that zip along at 6kts cluthed in leave very little wake anyway, because they are such easy hulls to push along. That same thing applies to the big mussel boats.They scoot through the Marina at 5kts and higher, but leave no more than a ripple. The real nasty wakes come from the smaller planning boats that are not on the plane. They power around the Marina with the bum deep in the water and the wake is terrible. And that pretty much applies to any planing Hull. The hulls just squat and dig a hole and push out a nasty wake.

Hi

Any activity on the water that raises concern should be reported to the Harbourmasters Office Duty Officer (09) 362 0397 (ext 0 for 24 hour emergency) email harbourmaster@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz

The Harbourmaster is responsible for all on water activities other than SAR (Police) and Air Crash (RCCNZ). Photos or video of offending, together with trailer rego, vehicle rego, vessel description and name will help locate and identify any possible offender.

The real nasty wakes come from the smaller planning boats that are not on the plane. They power around the Marina with the bum deep in the water and the wake is terrible. And that pretty much applies to any planing Hull.

And due to the above reasoning it would be a brilliant idea to impose a speed limit of 12 kts in the inner harbour ... NOT.

Some of the smaller ferries used to use the fuel dock.

Just a FYI, trying to maintain a very slow speed of 3knots on some powered craft can be a challenge due to the speed they will do just clutched in, 6knots was the clutched in speed on a boat I was on yesterday.

One Solution - Only vessels allowed to enter the marina are those that are going to berth there.

You bring up an interesting point "rigger". Some ships by their size and hull shape require a certain amount of water to pass over the rudder to ensure maneuverability but then, the law is the law. If they require to run at higher speeds then they should be towed in! (A tender rafted up along side).

I believe your other option a winner too. If you have NO REASON to be in a enclosed marina then you have no business being there. I believe some sight seeing cruise boats pass through too? But policing something like that would be a nightmare but it would also increase security!. My boat isn't moored in Akl (yet!) but suspected a LOT of vessels past by it at high speed when I'm not there so got a jar of water, stuck a strip of blotting paper down one side and half filled it with dyed water. The results were equivilant to about a 3 meter swell! Maybe the new "super city" will find some more dosh in the coffers to pay for more patrols but i fear the problem will only become worse as more un-educated boaters take the water.

Archived