Parts for Lewmar Winches

Grinna

While we're talking about winches, where's the best place to get parts for Lewmar winches? I'm thinking of at least pawls and springs and possibly other bits and pieces if necessary (hoping they won't be).

What sort of spares for your winches would you carry for extended cruising? Just pawls and springs or maybe some machine screws, a set of bearings or two maybe?

Pawls and springs (certainly for the likes of Lewmar and Harken) seem to be a standard item at the Westhaven chandleries. Price is a bit eye-watering so you wouldn't want to go overboard on spares - I'd tend to be thinking along the lines of giving them a super-generous service before you leave, replace anything that looks dodgy or worn, and then take fewer spares.

Ideally you would also find you have a standard bearing across all your winches and can get away with just one of those.

Cheers for that Murky. Any idea who the Lewmar agent(s) is(are) in NZ?

I'm hoping that the pawls and springs are pretty much standard across the different sized winches so will only need a few spares to cover them all and will take a close look at bearings, spindles, keys, etc. looking for wear.

Rightly or wrongly they're called "winches" by all and sundry and while it might be correct to call them capstans no bugger would actually know what I meant. So, on the basis that the majority of people call them winches for blardy years, then that's what I will call them too ...... and I shall wallow in my ignorance like a pig in shite :D

Yes, I'm actually referring to sheet capstans here. I've been reminded that its well past time to service ours.

Oh and Lewmar do make anchor winches (or at least sell them under the Lewmar brand) though interestingly they're referred to as capstans or windlasses. :think:

I think Kiwi Yachting are the NZ Distributor for Lewmar, but I may be wrong.

http://www.kiwiyachting.co.nz

Yep, you could get in touch with Gappy on this site, who has looked after a lot of us very well, although for the smaller items their retail relationship with the chandleries would probably do the trick.

Wanted some pawl springs for my winches - chandleries at Westhaven only sold "kits" at up to $70 - got the springs from Kiwi Yachting at a dollar each.

2nd that, got a couple of spare springs and pawls for not much $

See now, its always worth asking the question here on crew.org.nz. There's always some bugger who's been there and done that and can help out. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I'll have a shopping list once I pull them all apart and have a squizz.

The go there would be to rock into BNT or some such outfit with an O ring in hand and ask if they have any of these on the shelf. There are pretty standard sizes for O rings and engineering supply places have stacks of them in all different sizes for a few cents each. Doesn't matter what they're going into as long as you get the same size unit, you're good to go.

The one that stops water squirting up the handle when you pump (this annoys the women somewhat) is a one off with a spring inside it. They won't sell you that ring, I've never found an alternative.

Archived