Best place to buy galv anchor chain?

Clipper

I'm after a new length of anchor chain to go onboard for cruising, to hopefully increase my holding power a bit. Given the cost of chain, I thought I'd ask the question here and see what people have to say about the best place to buy more chain. There appears to be a few lower cost options around, but i wonder on quality.

Any reccommendations?

By far the cheapest is Chains Ropes and Anchors. PM Knot Me.

He has a range from El Cheapo through to the best quality you can get.

When it comes to quality, the real difference in the cheap Chain, especially the Chinese stuff, is not somuch the strength, but the very poor Galv coating. Some Chinese chain has been known to be rust before it even gets out of the Drum and i am not kidding.

By far the cheapest is Chains Ropes and Anchors. PM Knot Me.

He has a range from El Cheapo through to the best quality you can get.

When it comes to quality, the real difference in the cheap Chain, especially the Chinese stuff, is not somuch the strength, but the very poor Galv coating. Some Chinese chain has been known to be rust before it even gets out of the Drum and i am not kidding.

Oh FFS knot another Knot Me groupy! Wheels you were only in his clutches for a day or two and you've gone over already. How much Mt Gay did he get down you in such a short time? And have you really asked yourself how those grass stains got on your knees?

I'm after a new length of anchor chain to go onboard for cruising, to hopefully increase my holding power a bit. Given the cost of chain, I thought I'd ask the question here and see what people have to say about the best place to buy more chain. There appears to be a few lower cost options around, but i wonder on quality.

Any reccommendations?

believe it or not, grant macduff of chain ropes and anchors is your man.

not just price either, but rather the recognition of what will actually last

they also have some very very nice, and very light alloy anchors with staggering holding power

Oh FFS knot another Knot Me groupy! Wheels you were only in his clutches for a day or two and you've gone over already. How much Mt Gay did he get down you in such a short time? And have you really asked yourself how those grass stains got on your knees?

I have the power to corrupt easily. Grass stains, you have to be kidding you seen the dude? Sure I'll never pull a Kate Bosworth, at least while awake, but I'm bloody sure I can pull better than Mr Wheels, besides he's married :lol: :lol:

All depends on where you want cheap or good chain Clipper, often the 2 don't meet. Judging by the tonnes, literally, that has been chucked off some boats in the last month and how a local galvaniser has upgraded his retirement cruiser from a 40ft to a 60fter just from re-galvanising chain less than 18months old, cheap often isn't the best option.

Is it going on a winch or a wench, if on a winch cheap sure isn't the best call as lifetime cost usually works out to be a lot higher, replacement gypsies aren't cheap nor is re galvanising every 2 years. A wench is far more flexible in sizing tolerances.

All depends on what you are putting it on, how reliable you want it to be, how often you want to re galv or replace and a few other things. There is a place for cheap just as there is a place for good. Like many, verging on most, marine items these days a 'cheap purchase price' doesn't mean 'cheapest lifetime cost'. Something many boaters would be better off if they kept that in mind when shopping.

One thing is for sure, at least we know what it actually is that we sell. We are very fast become unique in that area.

Well, you'll have to add me to the list of groupies :roll: Being able to deal with someone who actually understands what they have imported and are selling is a huge advantage in my book.

I'm after a new length of anchor chain to go onboard for cruising, to hopefully increase my holding power a bit.

In fact Clipper, if I was in that situation, I would tell KM what you currently have and take his advice on whether adding extra chain is the best option or whether there are other solutions.

I must admit, I do not feel too well after posting that. :sick: :problem:

In fact Clipper, if I was in that situation, I would tell KM what you currently have and take his advice on whether adding extra chain is the best option or whether there are other solutions.

Good Advice - have pretty much done that already via PM.

Well, you'll have to add me to the list of groupies :roll: Being able to deal with someone who actually understands what they have imported and are selling is a huge advantage in my book.
Which sadly did have to make me tell a Y88er aware his halyard desire was actually Class illegal, an hour ago.
I'm after a new length of anchor chain to go onboard for cruising, to hopefully increase my holding power a bit.

Crap, you told him before I did. Shite, someone does listen to me on occasions.

I must admit, I do not feel too well after posting that. :sick: :problem:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I get to even the hardest holder outters sooner or late.

Is it going on a winch or a wench, if on a winch cheap sure isn't the best call as lifetime cost usually works out to be a lot higher, replacement gypsies aren't cheap nor is re galvanising every 2 years. A wench is far more flexible in sizing tolerances.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny thread this. Entertainment first thing in the morning over here!!

Any reccommendations?

Yup all joking aside in Auckland KM is your man.

If that's the case Clipper better have great tits, good legs and low morals along with shares in a family owned brewery ;)

If that's the case Clipper better have great tits, good legs and low morals along with shares in a family owned brewery ;)

You forgot the corporate box at Eden Park KM. :D

Yeap, all concrete and concrete

Meet the Clipper today. Absolutely no idea why but I thought he was shorter than that. You'll be pleased to know he left grass and concrete stain free, as I'm sure both he and I are as well, knot that he's that ugly, he's just knot my type ;) :lol:

And Mr Murky, the proud owner of some new Y88 halyards left happy but without the class illegal stripped halyards he initially desired. But as he is now aware of that rule he's on the prowl for those who might knot. Damn nice bloke................ for a 88 owner :twisted: ;)

His senses were still slightly fuzzy from the chloroform at the time. :lol:

Nah it was just the first time lose in Auckland all on my own and I was rather like a "Possum in the headlights" kinda dazed.

Archived