Crossing Cook Strait

Looking at the picture of "Greg", I thought yikes.

Grant, same thoughts about it being a Barge. I couldn't think what the heck the guy was referring to in relation to "Bee Barge" though. But he seemed to be suggesting two different group sizes. I went hunting for that "Add" to read it again, but couldn't find it. I though maybe someone here might recognise some detail in it the rest of us don't.
Oh well, as you say, the muppets are going to cross no matter what. It's a pity the weather is looking reasonable for today. But it will be a different story for anyone going across Saturday and Sunday.

IMO, as a commercial skipper,  this would be viewed by MNZ as commercial. Skipper would need more than SRL 24m, or a cook strait  AND passenger endorsements. Likely require a 500 ton Master with towing cert. Vessel would need to be in survey for the number of passengers.  Looking at the pic above, no way thats in survey. Same for the skipper I suspect. 

If they want to do it then it's really no big deal provided everyone knows whats its about and they are consenting adults, the skipper is ultimately responsible.

Clearly its not being done for commercial gain and the rules are there to stop unlicensed operators and unsafe vessels plying a trade, so although it could technically be prosecuted I am not sure the authorities would bother.  Where I draw the line is when people naïvely embark possibly with kids thinking they have the security of MNZ commercial regs to rely on. 

5 minutes ago, Psyche said:

If they want to do it then it's really no big deal provided everyone knows whats its about and they are consenting adults, the skipper is ultimately responsible.

Clearly its not being done for commercial gain and the rules are there to stop unlicensed operators and unsafe vessels plying a trade, so although it could technically be prosecuted I am not sure the authorities would bother.  Where I draw the line is when people naïvely embark possibly with kids thinking they have the security of MNZ commercial regs to rely on. 

Anyone who charges is REQUIRED to be registered in an survey. $35 pp is charging...

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Island Time said:

Anyone who charges is REQUIRED to be registered in an survey. $35 pp is charging...

I am trying to look at it from another point of view and without the context of the protest. No way would I get on board lets put it that way! Are you saying that they have now set a fixed fee and not a "koha" that changes it completely.

If it is a working boat (fishing, barge towing or similar looks and sounds most likely) it would fall into the scope of the HS@W Act as well, regardless of whether people were being charged or service was being provided for free.  Plenty of scope under the act for charges in the event of an accident of any sort.

51 minutes ago, Psyche said:

And the skipper is responsible no matter what

and the owner if its a different person.  And any deckie.

Social media is referring to the encampment in Picton as "Dumbkirk" based on the reality that many turned up unvaxxed and unmasked and then wondered why legit ferry services refused them. 

For those choosing to make use of these free "services" the name seems appropriate.

Psyche, the thread has got confusing in that there are now two seperate boats or sailings being discussed. This "Greg" and the original Bee Barge or whatever the heck it is.
I think the Bee Barge is sailing across today. Anyone in Picton today that might be able to go take a look and a photo??

3 hours ago, wheels said:

Psyche, the thread has got confusing in that there are now two separate boats or sailings being discussed. This "Greg" and the original Bee Barge or whatever the heck it is.
I think the Bee Barge is sailing across today. Anyone in Picton today that might be able to go take a look and a photo??

I looked back through various posts and the reference to the Bee Barge was originally by a bee keeper apparently in the north island.  On his page the closest thing to a barge was a pontoon with a dozen bee hives on it, the name fits but nothing else does.....

Today we seem to have had a launch and a yacht (maybe 2), reasonably quite flotilla

10 hours ago, splashprincess said:

And 4 yacht crossed Cook Strait over the weekend - but not to protest, for the Central Triangle! 

yep got told about them, took one look at AIS and it was 'yeah, nah wrong crowd " :-)

Looking forward to seeing them leave on Friday