Propspeed

Chewing Gum

Last time I put Lanoline on my Prop, I drowned the Sheep. So I stuck a hose in the mouth of the next one so it could breath and tried again. It worked, but sadly the sheep shrank when it dried out.

Seven or eight mentions of lanolin and knot a single sheep joke yet. The lack of immaturity on this site is disappointing.

You have something you want to tell us Murky?

Maybe wanting to come out of the pastoral closest so to speak? :wink:

A thought from left field. What about a coating of tar? Knot too thick and let to dry off well should make it quite hard. Any ideas how that may last and work anyone?

My prop still has the original paint on it. The bloody stuff's only lasted 22 years....so far :thumbup:

knot me, wait till you stick it on your tender for some fun and then plow over a sand bar you didnt know was there. happened to my 8 horse.

there was propspeed done on one of the boats i sail, folding prop. it didnt seem to last all that long. after that we decided that since im in the water before most races anyway, why not just scrub it? a tank of air isnt much and lasts about 9 bottom cleans.

Hey KM, remember over on that other Forum, the stroy oif the Fellow that coated his prop with marker pen :D

The story goes that when he pulled his boat out a year after having a new prop fitted, the only part that was clean was the price that had been written on the prop in marker pen. So he thought there must be something magic in that stuff and went and bought a box of markers. He coated the prop in the pens and tried it. I think when it came out again, it was covered in growth, so it didn't work.

knot me, wait till you stick it on your tender for some fun and then plow over a sand bar you didnt know was there. happened to my 8 horse.

You mean like all my other outboards? :) Luckily this one has a 1.9mt crash fender a few metres in front of it. It this prop hits sand I'm in very deep do-dos and probably about to fall over :?

Good memory Wheels, I do remember that. It would be an interesting experiment for sure. Maybe someone with a 3 bladed prop would like to do a pen/propspeed/lanolin mix and report back what works best.

Last time I had propspeed applied during a liftout it cost approx. $100. That's 1 tank of petrol or about a fifth of a big night out. Hardly seems worth dicking around trying to do a DIY job.

you know i have always wondered why no one has ever dipped their prop into that nonstick stuff for frypans.....teflony stuff, uncertain of application technique though i suspect brush on would be out

There are Teflon paints. There are Silicon Paints as well. That is basically what Propspeed is. A slippery coating when wet that nothing can adhere to. It's a very strange to the feel. A bit rubbery.

Tried to get Propspeed from distributors - they only sell to applicators unfortunately.

It does work very well in my experience although it does depend on the applicator

There is a rival product called pellerclean which I have not tried.

from Propeller Services NZ Ltd:

Price for one kit is $160incld GST

It is very similar to propspeed but you can apply this yourself as it is in kit form

Best regards Selwyn

Propeller Services NZ Ltd

153 Domain Rd,

Papamoa 3151

Tauranga,

New Zealand

Ph 64 7 5422699

Ph 0800PROPELLER

I haven't been able to ask about the propspeed yet. But in regards to the Anti-fouling paint. This is the information I have obtained so far.

The anti-foul is made by Hempel, which is a huge company in Denmark. The first Hempel factory opened in 1915. Today they have 6 R&D facilities and 20 manufacturing plants, 47 sales offices and over 130 stock points across five continents.

The NZ distributor is Coatings NZ which is Auckland based. Sorry, I don't know the address, you will have to look that one up. They do trade sales from the Wharehouse, so I suggest you guys pop in and buy direct if you want it.

There is a huge range of products available, but I will just list the Anti-fouls here seeing as that is what the subject is.

Firstly, they do not do any coating similar to Propspeed.

They have 5 types of anti-fouling coatings.

Globic NCT: this is a Self polishing High performing coating based on Nanocapsule Technology (I hear ya asking, but no idea) for bottom and boottop with 2 polishing rates, high polishing and low polishing.

Oceanic Range: High Solids, Tin free, self-smoothening and self polishing for bottom and boottop. Offers protection for up to 36mths on the sides and 60mths on the bottom.

Olympic Range: Same as above, offers 36mth protection.

Hempasil 77500: Biocide Free, silicone fouling release coating with high solidscontent for Deep Sea, high activity vessels with service speed in the 15-30kt range.

Hempasil 77100: Copper Free, Biocide Free, silicone fouling release coating with high solids content for high speed craft, powerful commercial and military vessels with service speeds above 25kts and with medium to high activity.

(I am wondering what those two products above might be like for prop and shaft)

The price is something like $30/ltr. The guy getting me the price couldn't remember the exact figure he was told, but was pretty sure it was around that. It's might be slightly cheaper, but I don't want to mislead, so lets go for higher. Even if we can get 2 or 3 years out of it, it makes it cheaper than anything else I know and if we can't, then at least it is no more expensive than anything else at the mo. If we really can get 60mths, that will be a real bonus. It is also available in 5ltr tins.

I hope that helps, I am certainly keen on giving it a go next haul out.

Great post Wheels.

I want some Globic NCT, no idea why but just like the sound of my bottom being tickled by Nanocapsules.

Nanocapsules are submicroscopic colloidal drug carrier systems composed of an oily or an aqueous core surrounded by a thin polymer membrane. Two technologies can be used to obtain such nanocapsules: the interfacial polymerization of a monomer or the interfacial nanodeposition of a preformed polymer.

You didn't know that???? Used a lot in the medical field by the looks for drug delivery.

Interfacial nanodesposition, Is that a medical way of saying 'small ugly bastard'?

Interfacial nanodesposition, Is that a medical way of saying 'small ugly bastard'?

It sounds more like what a Big scary looking Female Nurse named Bertha is about to do when shes pulls on a rubber glove and tells you to bend over. :shock:

Thanks Wheels.

That Hempels looks like its worth a go for sure. I'm always after value for money and doing things better.

About your propspeed question, the last time it was applied 2 years ago it was well gone and had acorn barnacles over it after just 6 months.

The re-launch is near - hull antifouled in Altex No.5 and would like some suggestions as to what to do with the (i) saildrive leg and (ii) prop. Both have previously been painted, and the prop needs a good sand or clean (suggestions as to how best to clean welcomed) to get rid of the old dried barnicles and paint. Looks like the lanoline on the prop could be a good option but what about the saildrive leg?

Your saildrive is probably alloy, hence an antifoul without copper is the go. I use Petitt Vivid from Altex.

Regarding your prop, since she’s out of the water, drop the prop off and give it a good clean with an electric wire brush then sanding disc to remove all the old paint and barnacles etc. Then, and I know this sounds weird, put the prop in the oven (take the scones out first) and heat the prop to approx 40-50 C, then while the prop is hot, smother it in Lanoline (apparently the heat facilitates the absorption of the lanolin), then bung the prop back on. Job done!

I have used "soft seal" on the prop that seems to last just long enough between hull scrubbings (when it is redone) as any of the much dearer products on the market. I use a slightly course (rough) piece of foam plastic (rubber?) that seems to take enough of the International Trilux 33 off the hull to reactivate it, it is a hard antifoul, the boat just can't go fast enough to have it working as well as it would on a faster vessel. The current antifoul coating will have given me 2 years by the next slipping and probably had 5 good scrubs over that period. In the current range of product available that is as good as I can probably expect.

I have also heard of spraying the hull with bleach (janola) that is supposed to keep the grass mown, havn't tried it but it might be worth a try?

So how did we get on with the prop speed vs lanolin issue?? Has there been any developments. Were doing a haul out on the Y88 for an anti foul and need to get the prop covered in something. Any ideas??

Cheers, Dan

Nothing will compare to propspeed. Any "grease" type product will not last long at all. Forget the idea of heating the prop and thinking the stuff will get in, it doesn't. the bronze bearing that are self lubricating is a speacial cintered material that has pores that allows lighgt oil to get in. Bornze doesn't and the molecules of greases like lanoline is too large to get into anything. Un less you have the boat out regularly, forget it.

You are better with propspeed or a non copper based antifoul.

Archived