For AA - preparations for the new boat

rigger

They managed to fit a mono into a multi berth? Gosh, isn't that a surprise :lol: :lol: :lol:

What other things will he need for his new boat :)

At this stage I believe it's 2 or more hulls, a rig, some sails, a few beams.................. ;)

They managed to fit a mono into a multi berth? Gosh, isn't that a surprise :lol: :lol: :lol:

What other things will he need for his new boat :)

At this stage I believe it's 2 or more hulls, a rig, some sails, a few beams.................. ;)

I mean additional to the boat and normal fittings :thumbup:

Someones going to have a " Meltdown" if he has to leave that Berth.

Offender even lived on that one a long time ago.

That berth has been around....Slut.

Good to get into in a Nor easter Use the prod as a brake by ramming the pole...well thats the way I did it. :D

I've only been on Kan't Know once, but "idling" into the start box at 16 knots just blew me away! I think Steve was glad that the race was a short one as he probably got sick of me going "WooHOO WOW YEEEHAAAA!!!"

My heart just isn't in the mono's anymore.

AA, I know what you mean, even on Putiki Express, cannot now go back to the drudgery of mono sailing.

All I need to do before I buy Kant Know is to convince Karen what a great investment the Tri would be.

cannot now go back to the drudgery of mono sailing.

I spent years sailing boats faster and more exciting than yours John, which were monos by the way, yet I find sailing my current shite loads slower leadswinger equally as enjoyable but just in different ways. How about instead of you buying KK John and then having to live with the boring drudgery of inshore sailing all the time, what about you spend the same money and sail a nice 40-45fter to some tropical atoll paradise and relax on a golden beach with your like to become I'm sure, a Island Princess. See even sexy multis can give you plenty of drudgery. Open both eyes John, the yachting world has many dimensions beyond speed only ;)

Yeap, Kant's a great boat unless you're on a startline next to it :? Seen it start many races but yet to see it finish one, my binos are good but knot that good :) :)

I spent years sailing boats faster and more exciting than yours John, which were monos by the way

Well said KM. There seems to be this fascination with speed at the expense of everything else with multi hulls. I have done the 18ft skiff thing, the 12 ft skiff and even a 16ft hobie cat. While all of these were fun at the time I am now at a stage of life where I enjoy taking the family out for extended periods of time. I get the best of both worlds where I can one weekend be two handed sailing around Waiheke and the next spend up at Kawau in a degree of comfort with fridge, freezer and running water and a double bed.

If I was to go out and get a GBE or tri it would be at the expense of my family and that would be kinda selfish in my mind. I absolutely accept that everyone has different priorities and is at different stages of life so I'm not knocking the multi's. But I am getting a bit tired of the the reverse.

Out of interest I would rate the 18ftr or 12ftr over the Hobie for adrenaline rush. I'm sure in 20knot the Hobie was faster but the the skiffs were a completely different kettle of fish, especially under kite.

I spent years sailing boats faster and more exciting than yours John, which were monos by the way

Well said KM. There seems to be this fascination with speed at the expense of everything else with multi hulls. I have done the 18ft skiff thing, the 12 ft skiff and even a 16ft hobie cat. While all of these were fun at the time I am now at a stage of life where I enjoy taking the family out for extended periods of time. I get the best of both worlds where I can one weekend be two handed sailing around Waiheke and the next spend up at Kawau in a degree of comfort with fridge, freezer and running water and a double bed.

If I was to go out and get a GBE or tri it would be at the expense of my family and that would be kinda selfish in my mind. I absolutely accept that everyone has different priorities and is at different stages of life so I'm not knocking the multi's. But I am getting a bit tired of the the reverse.

Out of interest I would rate the 18ftr or 12ftr over the Hobie for adrenaline rush. I'm sure in 20knot the Hobie was faster but the the skiffs were a completely different kettle of fish, especially under kite.

Which is why the perfect answer for many would be something like 'Bad Kitty' which provides great combo of speed and comfort. But you need the $$$s.

Which is why the perfect answer for many would be something like 'Bad Kitty' which provides great combo of speed and comfort. But you need the $$$s.

Yep, looking at her interior pictures she looks very nice if you have the $$$. I didn't see her name mentioned in the Simrad or the Coastal classic however.

I know that if I had the $$$ and was silly enough to show the wife the interior , my racing days would be over in an instant!

All the above few comments are fair & valid, but KM I think if what you want is speed & just a weeny bit of interior room then a multi IS the way to go - (Bad Kitty's and her ilk excepted - would love a BK by the way but not in this life time I'm afraid) So I think John is simply expressing a desire to go fast inshore. What's wrong with that? You see KM I harbour no desire to sail offshore. In fact as time goes on, I'm becoming more of a fair weather sailor and I'm fine with that, so blatting around in a sub 9 metre tri is going to give me, & clearly is already giving John, exactly what I want. I'm not a cruiser in any sense of the word. I like to sleep at home in my own bed at night. I've become soft - so what? I just want to zoom around in a trimaran. That's all.

I've been sailing for over thirty years, started with a Kestral. My problem is if another boat comes over the horizon, I need to chase it and beat it. I found the only way to go faster in monos was to spend more money to get waterline length. I thought about cats/tris but was always reminded that they don't point.

I've had keelers (last one a 1020) that although a great boat, really did nothing for me. My Elliott 740 that I upgraded from was far more fun. I sold it for Elliott 7. I enjoyed that and decided that that was my fate with sailing. Until Multihull sailing...

Karen, my wife is not a sailor but loves cruising... the anchoring up in a nice bay with friends overnight. She loves Putiki because

a. No leaning, no matter the weather

b. We get everywhere a lot faster

c. No dinghy needed, with a bit of working with the tide ( incoming ) we anchor on the sand, and step on step off

The only downside with Putiki is the room inside, so my next multi will be something like Kant Know. Sure, I could get say an Elliott 1050 or a 36ft Hanse for that price, but I believe the upkeep would be double KK's and not half as enjoyable

I am not knocking monos, like AA I'm not into offshore sailing, we go out for 2 to 3 nights max and I love passing boats 10 times the value of mine.

I just don't get the buzz of going at the sedate speeds that my wallet limits me in monos.

I knew I'd up the postings with that one :thumbup:

Now read carefully - I have zero issues with any sort (most) of yacht that can sail. I have zero preference over the number of hulls it has (generally) and never really have.

It's the semi-paranoid, self justifying, one-eyed, obviously taken one too many waves in the face at speed owners of many multis whose party line utterances I have issues with, they're causing too much yawning and shocking use of words :wink:

Did I say that nicely?

Sorry John, that wasn't aimed at you specifically, you were just on hand at the time and no different than many others. And the above is 99% in jest, I know they Kant Know when to help themselves :lol: :lol:

Now specifically back to John comment. Drudgery is not hull number specific. In fact using Johns boat and mine and the definition of the word, he's the one most likely to end in drudgery, knot me. {insert the 'Ha, take that' smilie} :lol: :lol: :lol:

What you should have used was just a very simple 'generally slower'. There are many monos that don't lean over and a fair few that don't need a ding, especially in your size zone. So all you have left is 'slower' even then that's getting tenuous in the odd spot ;)

Gawd, I'm auguring word use to someone, feck me. Mrs Ackroyd (English teacher who kicked me out of her class) will be turning in her grave :lol: :lol:

Archived