Tigre Flipped?

Thanks mate but I am sorry. I was warned not to go out and I was arrogant enough and confident enough to go. The boat is really good in big seas. What let me down was an error in multihull sailing. She would not have gone over had I been on the ball.

What I had not given much consideration to was what it takes to rescue someone and all that goes on after. I should not have been out there on my own.

Gutsy reply Clive. Look forward to hearing the story.

AA - "antagonistic individuals"? Can we not question things? I had you pinned as more of a thinker. If the 20% of contributors who make 80% of the posts are going to protect each other undyingly at the expence of robust discussion the site will loose its value for most I would suggest. While some use it as a social networking site for the like minded, I suggest the silent majority use it as a site to discuss and learn about things marine, to good effect.

While some thoughts may be put bluntly, and even sarcasticly on the odd occasion, at least they are thoughts!

AA - "antagonistic individuals"? Can we not question things? I had you pinned as more of a thinker. If the 20% of contributors who make 80% of the posts are going to protect each other undyingly at the expence of robust discussion the site will loose its value for most I would suggest. While some use it as a social networking site for the like minded, I suggest the silent majority use it as a site to discuss and learn about things marine, to good effect.

While some thoughts may be put bluntly, and even sarcasticly on the odd occasion, at least they are thoughts!

There is no problem questioning things, but your first post on the matter called clive a cock. That is unacceptable behaviour on a civilised board in a situation like that. You know you should have worded things better, and that is what is upsetting people. Not your questions, or perhaps even you opinions, but your attitude and way of presenting them.

Cock - -- Slang term formerly used to describe Penis, more latterly used extensively by Clives countryman James May in abundance, to describe freinds idiocy.

Lets not be to precious here. Anyway off to work now, see ya next time

Brucey, I am a thinker, almost never post without considering the implications of what I'm about to say, and yes I do think you're antagonistic - in almost every post you make. What I don't know is if you set out to be that way deliberately or if you simply can't be bothered typing more words to describe your thoughts more fully. I presume your career aspirations do not include the diplomatic services?

Back to Clive and Vagabond. Kudos to you Clive, it takes a big man to say stuff like that.

Clive

thanks for the praise.

for me the real stars here were the helicopter crew that rescued you and the two BOI coastguard crews that towed the boat to Red Head firstly and let us have a go at righting it and then towed it to Opua

having seen them in action particularly their determination was impressive

JK

Hey Clive, great posts bro, i aint no multi guy but i would go to sea with you anytime.

Yep we've all got ourselves in situations where we are outside the bounds mostly through wanting to extend ourselves and the confidence that comes from time at sea and the trust you build in your boat and mostly we get away with it, and after the terror subsides you think 'I aint never getting myself in that situation again' then sometimes it goes really bad but for most it happens in private and we don't have to face our peers and you can mend your damaged pride in private...Hats off to you for the way you have dealt with this little skirmish with the sea gods.

As for JK, yep he's a gem but man don't put that stuff too much in the public domain his ego knows no bounds and it is Megan that is the brains and runs the show anyway...thank god. Great to see you had a good experience with the coastguard and those Helo guys know no bounds in excellence and courage.

As for JK, yep he's a gem but man don't put that stuff too much in the public domain his ego knows no bounds and it is Megan that is the brains and runs the show anyway...thank god. Great to see you had a good experience with the coastguard and those Helo guys know no bounds in excellence and courage.

haha ... yea good point! :D

Some sad pix... She was all up and running with only me and the crew left to sort our selves out and start winning on line...

5383987186_15268777f6.jpg

P1000867 by Clive Wright, on Flickr

Jason standing by

5383971804_82e867b51c.jpg

Tigre. In a bit of a state by Clive Wright, on Flickr

JK, Greer and Ryan on Sinewave shadowed the tow. Megan at the helm.

5383973706_ff966978de.jpg

5383975684_46eb986226.jpg

5383977908_45226d99ae.jpg

5383375207_4a7644714d.jpg

Tigre and TWU bow to bow...

5383981778_33b023a033.jpg

Oh that's just nasty. Never nice seeing a boat like that but a nice recovery but the looks. And using my old barge, go RB.

Ashbys seen to have done well out of the week, last count 4 boats in there, probably more. Good for them, bugger for the boat owners though.

Big ups to the BOI team, locals and the other competitors, good to see there seems to have been plenty of helping hands and gear.

Clive do you know what of the damage was done in the flip, the tow and the re-righting attempts?

Did the rig come down in the flip?

Did the beam break when u stuffed it in or the righting?

Clive, sorry to read all this. Brave Post before. Good on ya mate. You get a whole lot of credability in my eyes for making statements like that. I hope evverything is repairable, not too expensive, and that you get back out there soon.

BTW far from making the "multihulls look bad".

Once again I am reminded what a fantastic bunch of guys sail multihulls and how self less they are.

So many people are willing to drop what ever they are doing to lend a hand and there is such a great "can do' attitude amongst the multihull fraternity.

it really makes a difference too when you are facing the reality of the dire situation you find yourself in (regardless of who's fault it might be) and just so many people can offer some assistance which in my case has saved me a fortune.

I also read somewhere with some amusement how ordinary the standard of the starting is on the multihull startline and how good it is on the Y88 fleet.

For one the Y88 starts I've seen are a shambles, and secondly the Y88 goes a lot slower and is a whole lot more maneouverable so is a miles easier boat to start.

Please take it easy on the innocent bystanders as you guys continue with your shootout here. :roll:

Here's the quote you were probably thinking of, from the Mahurangi thread. Seems unlikely that he is an 88 owner but instead someone who was crewing on a multi.

Were you sailing in the multi fleet brucy?

Yessireebob we were there. You wernt were u?

Seems barging at the boat is the norm, as is giving room for no good reason. Wouldnt survive 5 min in an 88 or any other fleet of good starters.

Archived