Kite Pole for End to End gybing

Fish

Ah you see, you are where most boaties are, never quite enough $ to get exactly what you want! Good luck with it, and if it doesn't come off there will always be something else.

Another thing i have learnt with small boats, is that the price between good ones and bad ones is less than the cost of getting a bad one to the level of a good one! If you price up what other piedys you can get for that price even the suspect is stupidly cheap.

Amen to that Marshy!!

They say with classic cars either buy the minter or the basket case.

At least with the basket case you don't have to pay for things that look OK but you need to redo anyway.

The minter will work out cheaper, but you don't have the "joy" of the process. :D

And make sure it actually is a minter, not just looks a bit like one!

Another thing i have learnt with small boats, is that the price between good ones and bad ones is less than the cost of getting a bad one to the level of a good one! If you price up what other piedys you can get for that price even the suspect is stupidly cheap.

Talking of spending money, was that Mercenary I saw Sunday morning motoring around just outside BBYC marina without a mast?

Haha yes it certainly was Ferarri, Although thats not really a case of spending money. I think i broke every record in the book. Pulle the mast out and changed the configuration from Two spreaders with Jumpers to being three spreaders in a swept cathedral setup where the Jumpers terminate at spreader two and carry the jumper loads down the Cap stay rather than transferring it onto the opposite D2. Had been thinking about it since i bought the boat and just decided driving home from work on friday that the weekend was the time to do it.

Weird thing is unlike most boating jobs:

1) The job was done quicker than thought.

2) Cost less than i thought

3) Went better than i thought.

The whole process cost me bugger all and i managed to do it - from sails off boom off etc to rig back in tuned ready to sail in less than 48 hours which was a stunner. Didnt even miss a tuesday night race.

Dunno yet, first sail tonight, Rattle n Rum has been like that for a while now. I Dont think it will make huge performance differences. But it will help keep the rig in the boat. With the huge round roach mainsail it doesnt clear under the backstay in the lighter breeze which was a bit of a issue letting it off with inline jumpers and made gybing a pain. So in that respect it will be more user friendly.

And also in a blow i think we will notice two things, firstly that as you putt lon backstay the swept jumpers will slacken allowing the rig to fall off helping de-power, where the inline jumpers held it straight no matter what. And also the rig used to fall off alot with the old diamonds with gennakers on tight reaching as the Diamond would stretch and so would the D2, now the rig should set up nicer in these conditions. (Thats the hope anyhow!) Time will tell...

Weird thing is unlike most boating jobs:

1) The job was done quicker than thought.

2) Cost less than i thought

3) Went better than i thought.

The whole process cost me bugger all and i managed to do it - from sails off boom off etc to rig back in tuned ready to sail in less than 48 hours which was a stunner. Didnt even miss a tuesday night race.

Marshy have you fallen into some kind of boating parallel universe? This is completely unheard of. How can the rest of this tap into some of this good luck?

Ah, just figured out the answer, it is the result of years of practicing on other people's boats and working through your allocated quota of obstacles niggles and f*ckups.

for Gods sake don't let any of our other halves read this or they'll be under some misconception that a job on the boat only takes an hour, not all weekend! This could spell the end of the floating man shed!!! Squid delete this thread before it gets out of hand! :lol:

Archived