Caulerpa now in BOI

It’s be good to know which superyacht people are talking about. One of those that has been getting lots of media attention never anchors. Like has not anchored since it was launched. It stays in place through GPS and can even rotate to make sure the owners wake up with the morning sun coming in to their berth. Maybe the lynch mob doesn’t hold all the facts?

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Rangi1 said:

It’s be good to know which superyacht people are talking about. One of those that has been getting lots of media attention never anchors. Like has not anchored since it was launched. It stays in place through GPS and can even rotate to make sure the owners wake up with the morning sun coming in to their berth. Maybe the lynch mob doesn’t hold all the facts?

Artifact.

Fully electric position holding

Artefact: On board Nobiskrug's striking 80m hybrid superyacht (boatinternational.com)

3 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

I can understand the locals who don’t rely on Auckland boats for a livelihood getting atagonistic and they are probably a majority . Your summer cruising plans being curtailed probably have as much importance to them as a new motorway connection in dannevirke .

I mean did you give a fig about surf tours plan the young bloke had who parked his IACC boat on your local reef ? From what I read  were way more concerned about your reef , sounds like you spoke to the media about it too . And that’s fine I would be more concerned about my neighbourhood reef as well .

The east side of barrier is pristine and I would lose my sh*t if a superyacht went over there , actually I am pissed off . They should’ve been made aware and if they were aware it’s arrogance in the extreme.  I don’t give a flying Beckett block about the whataboutism of the incompetence of the agencies involved , it’s easy to see the wood from the trees with a super yacht anchor potentially dropping that sh*t on the eastside .

It’s a highly emotive subject and I get my undies in a clove hitch over it at times . The slow response and flawed logic from the agencies involved is staggering but it’s unfair to lump in locals who are defending their local bio diversity from holiday makers .

Yes I understand people are very passionate about their environment, as am I. The point I was wanting to make (and seems to have been missed) is the high levels of disinformation and nonsense surrounding the caulerpa issue. Everyone getting all hot and bothered isn't going to lead to effective outcomes.

Referring to disinformation and nonsense is the example given in the RNZ story I posted and you quoted. The 'locals' complaining about a superyacht going into the exclusion zone, going around the east side, then heading up North, and inference being that no enforcement action was taken, and it was spreading caulerpa. The point being that superyachts are very large, visually notable, very easily identified, and can have the entire route tracked on free publicly websites (AIS). 

If said superyacht had committed an offence, I find it highly implausible that no-one did anything. Other than the the govt departments, Biosecurity NZ, Auckland Council etc, there are enough private citizens with enough nouce and motivation (i.e. you, and many others) to follow it up. Much the same way as many people here report fishing quota and poaching issues.

I simply find it implausible that a superyacht could break all the rules and no-one do anything about it. The logical explanation is it wasn't breaking any rules. Therefore, saying it was is just disinformation. Examples being that it didn't anchor, which is highly probably if it was the Artifact, with its all electric drive and GPS spot locking (wasn't it you that said you say it in Deep Water Cove parked up without anchoring?) or alternatively a different superyacht that had the requisite permits from Biosecurity NZ.

As for the IACC yacht that washed up, it wasn't a 'young surfer dude', he was a fair bit older than me. I went down there to offer assistance, as I did when the Kathleen (32ft Van de Stad) washed up on Stanmore Bay Beach, which resulted in me swimming my anchors out in the dark, in the storm, in the surf, to stop her smashing on the sea wall. Which worked by the way. IACC guy got his boat off very easily on the high tide with a jetski only. And to be honest when I offered assistance he was fairly rude. The thing that irritated me about that was the sh*t hopeless piece of 3 strand Bunnings cloths line he used to attach to the mooring buoy. Accident waiting to happen, which happened within 4 weeks of mooring there.

I understand you are using that as an example about passion of the environment. No one's motives are in question. But that is confusing the issues. With regard to said superyacht, unfounded or unproven allegations, especially in the media, aren't going to help, and are only going to serve to turn people with common interest (the environment) to turn those people on each other, instead of dealing with the problem at hand.

Its a bit pessimistic but I dont think we can stop the natural spread, if at all, even with a massive increase in funding to remove it but that doesnt mean we should be careless. At some point people will have to accept that its here to stay and then we are all in management mode.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Psyche said:

even with a massive increase in funding to remove it 

Wheres this funding coming from? Hospitals have been told too save 80 million. Every service is being cut in NZ including bio security staff.

If antone thinks mpi/bio security are going to throw millions at this weed think again

• Upvote 1