flying tiger takes gun

very satisfying sail last night on the flying tiger, a 2 sail reach followed by a gennaker reach to flax point, and beat up to orakei, then cracked sheets to finish, a fun boat in all those conditions. put 6 minutes on the fastest Y88 and 3 mins on the fastest Ross 930, plus doing it in style! rumour has it that the boats will be available ex container for around $110k, ex sails, great for a syndicate.

a 727 put 4 minutes on an elliot 7.9 last wednesday. dunno what ya bragging about.

also had a look at the results....ya put 5 minutes on a 50 year old hollowed out tree. the stewarts did the same course. probably did about 20 tacks more too.

The FT beating A R930 by only 3 mins would be more embarrassing then something to brag about.

I think you meant to say -

put 6 minutes on the fastest Y88 and 3 mins on the fastest bastardised Ross that was once a 930

7 and 12 mins quicker W/T.

The FT's been going better than I thought she would. The price talks, you can rubbish it if you like, but you'll have to spend the best part of double or more to get something qualitatively better.

Lots of good second hand boats, the 50 year old log I guess being an example, can't go second hand forever though, guess it will make the classic racing pretty sharp if we do of course.

Ahh Trubie, nothing like stirring things up.

Given their overseas rating is about the same as a Mumm 30 shouldn't you be in B Div?

Anyway I'm glad it is getting used. How does it feel for horsepower?

burn the piece of sh*t

a 727 put 4 minutes on an elliot 7.9 last wednesday. dunno what ya bragging about.

also had a look at the results....ya put 5 minutes on a 50 year old hollowed out tree

Ahh Trubie, nothing like stirring things up.

Given their overseas rating is about the same as a Mumm 30 shouldn't you be in B Div?

Is this a New Zealand website or did I accidently log into www.crew.org.uk ? What a negative bunch of whingers !!

First... if it's a piece of sh*t that needs to be burnt....then you better get busy as 95% of the Auckland fleet also needs burning.

One day the fleets of Young 88's, Farr 1020's and 34ft long hollowed out trees will need replacing. From a cost effective point of view this is the best option I have seen to date. I'm pleased that the boat is finally out racing on wednesday nights so we can see how it performs. I don't see Trubi's post as a gloat, in fact as its debut wednesday I expect to see even better performances in the future. A fleet of these on Auckland harbour would be a great addition.

Let's not. nzrat does have an extensive in racing, design and construction which can be found online if you know where to look, but that probably won't advance the debate.

Trubi, if you had time, I would be interested to read something slightly longer about how you found the boat to sail vs the many other designs you have raced.

Here is an old thread from when the boat first arrived - it also refers to an announcement that was on the home page but the archives don't seem to stretch back that far:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14259&p=148860

Not a bad boat, just needs a few mods.

1. The hull needs to be narrower

2. It needs a couple of stabalisers each side of the hull

3. Then you could get rid of the ridiculous lump of lead off the bottom of the centre board :lol: :lol:

A Rev-B on the windows would go a long way! The only other thing that I don't like about the boat is the size of all the gear. Everything just seems a size light on wgat you'd expect. But that's probably part of the secret for keeping the cost down. I guess the proof will be in how long that boats last without any problems with construction quality etc.

Sure, but Black Fun is a smaller boat with half the RM. you'd expect the gear to be a lot smaller. Larger spec grear just buys you safety and service life. Anyway, Nothing against the FT10. It's cheap and good enough for inshore racing. Seems to go well against the good ol' 930's After all, they are the bench mark for a mid 80's 30 footer! :thumbup:

Archived