Days Gone By…

4 hours ago, Leftred said:

Any idea what year that would be?

My current boat is much older than I am, but a picture of her being transported for launching in 1973 or 1974.

IMG_3297.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG

1968 according to the author Townson 32.

What design is Flying Cloud.

Swing keel?

A one-off Alan Wright design. Sold without builder or build year known, but I managed to track the builder down and he shared some old photos which was really fantastic. Hasn't been Flying Cloud for a number of years, and I would have changed her back but the current sign writing is quite nice.

Standard keel.

Sadly for sale soon as I've gone larger and plastic-ier.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, ex Elly said:

The 3 saloon windows, and the long skeg are unusual for a Townson.

the first boat(white hull and decks) is a Townson 30, "Magic Flute" design. The blue yacht is an Alan Wright "Transit" design.

Wright's early designs Nova, Variant, Nerissa and others certainly had some Townson influence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 29/08/2023 at 2:44 PM, marinheiro said:

the first boat(white hull and decks) is a Townson 30, "Magic Flute" design. The blue yacht is an Alan Wright "Transit" design.

Wright's early designs Nova, Variant, Nerissa and others certainly had some Townson influence.

Do you have any more info on the Transit designs? The Wrighty book didn't go into much detail.

There's another Dennis Bettany built boat in there called Gemini that looks almost exactly the same, except being 35ft and a bilge keeler. Those photos of her being launched with the blue hull (long since changed to white) were sent to me by Dennis a couple years ago.

10 hours ago, Leftred said:

Do you have any more info on the Transit designs? The Wrighty book didn't go into much detail.

There's another Dennis Bettany built boat in there called Gemini that looks almost exactly the same, except being 35ft and a bilge keeler. Those photos of her being launched with the blue hull (long since changed to white) were sent to me by Dennis a couple years ago.

Not alot more info. At that time Wrighty was churning out designs almost as fast as Richard Hartley and Frank Pelin, the plan business was very lucrative in those days. There were a few more built including the original "Transit". Design looks to be a mix of Townson and Lidgard hull and cabin shapes

Gemini was a twin keeler, built for Jim Varney, one time Auckland Harbour Master and Cat 1 Inspector. There was a Sea Spray feature in the early 70's on her which I have in my magazine hoard archives, I can send you a scan when I get back to NZ in a couple of months if you cannot find one before.

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

Not alot more info. At that time Wrighty was churning out designs almost as fast as Richard Hartley and Frank Pelin, the plan business was very lucrative in those days. There were a few more built including the original "Transit". Design looks to be a mix of Townson and Lidgard hull and cabin shapes

Gemini was a twin keeler, built for Jim Varney, one time Auckland Harbour Master and Cat 1 Inspector. There was a Sea Spray feature in the early 70's on her which I have in my magazine hoard archives, I can send you a scan when I get back to NZ in a couple of months if you cannot find one before.

Nice thank you, that'd be really awesome. Definitely a lot of Townson influence, although I prefer the window shape to the Townson elliptical ones. Very much a family resemblance to the Nova when out of the water too, just scaled up a lot.