Rough( ish) Piedy ?

John B

A friend of mine mentioned last week he wants to do up a Piedy. Can't spend a lot of money but he's a skilled boatbuilder and wants to make a special job of it owing to a long connection with Townsons.

What's out there? Something needs saving?

Heya John,

Dad told me i was meant to pass some details on to you.

Born slippery (i think is its name) is for sale, they are asking around 3k. It is on the hard at Devonport Yacht Club.

Red Label might not suit the special job ya mentioned, because it is a pretty different cockpit set up (fully re-done, with cut out transom etc), and expect some wet timber. ...

The one in Devo is quite a traditional one with short cabin etc, looks a bit like the the original Pied Piper.

It keeps popping up on trade me, but a quick call to the DYC would get you a number im sure.

Cheers Ben.

Thanks for that guys.

I'll be in Auckland today on business, so I can slip over to Devo to look at her.

Richard is not replying to my calls. Maybe he is out of town. I'll be back in Auck on Monday to pick up my daughter from the airport so if anyone can tell me where to find Red Label?

Candyfloss.

hi candifloss, maybe text him first and tell him why you are calling? red label is on the pier right next to the yacht club in half moon bay marina (whats the number or letter marshy?)

Hi Summerbreeze.

Yeah, that's me. Older, but no wiser. Here's the link: forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?106923-The-way-we-were....

It still works, & will until my Picturetrail account expires. I intend finishing my new boat to the same standard, so how rough she starts out is pretty much irrelevant to me, just as long as she has enough good gear to get her sailing.

Don't understand how your linky system works, but copy & paste that into the Google box.

Candyfloss.

Thanks for your help guys. I bought the one in Devo. Next job, get her back in the water & over to Thames. See you at next year's Des Townson Day.

Candyfloss.

Hey Candyfloss.

Just went through your original building thread. Fantastic! Real Kiwi nostalgia there right from the 80s hair to the "land crab" (I learnt to drive in one of those..)

To anyone who has not visited it, here is the link. What a brilliant documentry of classic kiwi boatbuilding in double diagonal.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?106923-The-way-we-were....

If the Piedy comes even close it will be stunning.

As you say Smithy. It was the shots of turning over the hull on the lawn that took me back - I wonder how many Kiwi photo albums contain one or even multiple occasions of this image.

Archived