Parnell Poo Pipe

1 hour ago, Psyche said:

Any updates on the repairs, Rahui?

They just started welding sections of the bypass pipe  today. They need to put in something like 30 x 12m sections and they work 24x7 to get it done, but given they have to bury it under st georges road it won't happen quickly. 

Then it will be at least 10-14days till the water is safe. 

Rahui is still in place.

Yacht clubs seem to be taking a strange position on it this time , blaming Rahui on cancelling races -instead of saying the wind is too strong which was the case last week.

They never cancelled earlier in the year during the first Rahui, and nor should they this time -though I would not be keen on sailing an E7 through it... Ferrys and fishing boats are all operating , cruisers are cruising ...

Have you guys had your racing cancelled? All of them or just a couple? Will be a cracking evening for a Wed night race.

Your committee must think you are terrible sailors, putting your head underwater while on those big yachts. Its not good for boat speed putting your head underwater, you know...

21 minutes ago, K4309 said:

Your committee must think you are terrible sailors, putting your head underwater while on those big yachts. Its not good for boat speed putting your head underwater, you know...

Hmmm lets see...

• E. coli levels in the Waitematā are at record highs
  • all 23 monitoring stations, from Herald Is, down to St Helliers are reporting "very high risk" 
  • watercare has urged that people refrain from recreational activity on the water
  • the water around the overflow outlets is black, it's absolutely wreaking of sh*t and are in the worst condition I have ever seen them - I am surprised that we have not had an algae bloom yet

People can and do fall overboard, gear can and does end up in the water...

If you have never dragged your sail or your sheets through the water, if you have never taken a face full of water over the bow when setting up for a sail change then you aren't trying hard enough.

Committee's have a responsibility to their club members to weigh the available information, assess the risk and make decisions.

I am no water scientist, but given the information, the visible untreated untreated sewerage exiting the overflow pipes and the advice publicly available, I think the decision to cancel is the right one.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

Hmmm lets see...

• all 23 monitoring stations, from Herald Is, down to St Helliers are reporting "very high risk" 
  • watercare has urged that people refrain from recreational activity on the water
  • the water around the overflow outlets is black, it's absolutely wreaking of sh*t and are in the worst condition I have ever seen them - I am surprised that we have not had an algae bloom yet

If you have never dragged your sail or your sheets through the water, if you have never taken a face full of water over the bow when setting up for a sail change then you aren't trying hard enough.

Committee's have a responsibility to their club members to weigh the available information, assess the risk and make decisions.

I am no water scientist, but given the information, the visible untreated untreated sewerage exiting the overflow pipes and the advice publicly available, I think the decision to cancel is the right one.

Where can the coastal classic start be shifted to that’s safe from poo ? 

1 minute ago, Ex Machina said:

Where can the coastal classic start be shifted to that’s safe from poo ? 

Rangitoto channel vicinity has got to be better than Ōrākei ...

Hopefully in 16 days this environment disaster will be over.  Watercare will hopefully will get the bypass pipe finished within the next 6 days and then 10 days of tidal flow should fix it...

Fingers crossed.

image.png.8a667c53986a536499ce042d8843a401.png

23 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

Hmmm lets see...

Have they got some publicly available water testing results?

Yes, the committees should be carrying out a risk assessment on the available information. Not just blindly following a dictate from an unelected race based group. My understanding is the warnings are around gathering shellfish, swimming, and recreational based activities that bring you into contact with water. A key clew here is the website being called "safeswim", not "safeboating". Kayaking would be marginal. Spear fishing def out. Fishing from a boat? I'm not seeing a major issue with that. Same with yacht racing. Noting I haven't sat down and done a full risk assessment, but that I do understand microbiology and wastewater.

Anyway, its a cracking day so I'm just heading out fishing for the rest of the afternoon.

• Downvote 2
24 minutes ago, K4309 said:

Have they got some publicly available water testing results?

Yes, the committees should be carrying out a risk assessment on the available information...

Dont worry, we're on it

• Upvote 2

A couple of things I don’t follow. Is the sewerage flowing into harbour continuously because of sink hole?

Yes - the line is blocked, so the flow isn't getting to the Orakei pump station which would norrmally push it through the Hobson tunnel and ultimatly to Mangere

Or only when stormwater ingress floods sewer system beyond capacity? - This happens due to the legacy combined sewage/stormwater system. This is steadily being seperated, but very expensive to do completly. Case in point the St Marys Bay Tunnel, caputred all the flows that would have traditionally gone out into westahven and onto the beach just west of the bridge. This was dumping sewage in about 50 times a year. The new setup, by acting as a big holding tank, reduces this to 12 times a year, and the discharge is now in the middle of the channel, not into the marina. To completly remove any dischare would have been a significant cost increase, like almost an order of magnitude more for a very small catchment in the grand scheme of things.

I believe that has been the case historically without a failure? Does any untreated sewerage enter the harbour by design without a failure? - I dont think so now, pretty much everything is captured where it goes into a pipe. Some older spetic tank drainage fields will still be discharging something I;m sure

• Upvote 2

All racing cancelled for this week, Orakei sewer outfall is used everytime there is a heavy rain event -more than 12 times this year, we are heading back to the fifties when the M class and 18' fleet had to negotiate the seagulls off the outfall running constantly, almost as bad as the constant flows off Castor bay and the new one off Mairangi Bay -Robbie will be turning in his grave .

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Hmmm lets see...

So have you seen or are there publicly available E.coli test results, or are you just doing the misinformation thing to pad out your point of view?

This is what the Rahui says:

“Due to the contamination of the waters of the Waitematā and surrounding creeks, the rāhui placed by Ngāti Whātua supports that there be no swimming, fishing, paddling, diving or entering water. Transport across the Waitematā is allowed.

Safeswim simply says 'Do not swim', and 'Ongoing wastewater overflows'. I haven't been able to google any specific warnings for the Waitemata from official sources.

The 23 monitoring stations CarpeDiem refers to are not monitoring stations, they are modelling points. The safeswim website is based on computer modelling of wastewater overflows combined with tidal / current modelling of the harbour. They have been manually switched to black / do not swim because of the overflow.

There were media reports of warnings regarding 'recreational activity' on the harbour. I would argue this applies to things like paddle boarding, kayaking and waka ama type stuff, where it is likely you will enter the water or get splashed all over. 

Given transport is allowed I would have thought yacht racing could have continued. More so if the courses were set and finished in the outer harbour. But each to their own I guess.

Its pretty clear the Rahui is an expression of a specific cultural approach to hundreds of tons of sh*t pouring in the harbour as a result of dilapidated infrastructure, 110 year  old pipes anyone?  They not saying no boating or any other activity, they are lending weight to a pretty common sense position based on e coli levels in the Waitemata. I am sure you can go for a dip if you want or race a yacht but showing a bit of solidarity from time to time isn't the end of the world. What really needs to happen is a massive upgrade of our infrastructure which is groaning under the load of massive population increases, anyone remember the power cable debacle a few years ago?

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I say keep on swimming undeterred

Under turd get it?

We could ask Parnell residents to hold on for a day or two while the weather is nice? Maybe we could reinstate a few nightcarts?

• Haha 1

As a note, Watercare are about half way through building the infrastructure that would have avoided this / allowed the Orakei Trunk sewer (113 years old I think brick tunnel) to be retired.

That is the Central Interceptor. Cost a tad north of $1billion. One of the single biggest infrastructure undertakings in Auckland, ever. Given the significant price tag, the biggest challenge of delivering the Central Interceptor was getting the budget approved / buy in from all of us to pay for it.

Watercare - Central Interceptor

43 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Its pretty clear the Rahui is an expression of a specific cultural approach to hundreds of tons of sh*t pouring in the harbour as a result of dilapidated infrastructure, 110 year  old pipes anyone?  They not saying no boating or any other activity, they are lending weight to a pretty common sense position based on e coli levels in the Waitemata. I am sure you can go for a dip if you want or race a yacht but showing a bit of solidarity from time to time isn't the end of the world. What really needs to happen is a massive upgrade of our infrastructure which is groaning under the load of massive population increases, anyone remember the power cable debacle a few years ago?

You mean the CBD one in the early 90s ? With the container ship plugged in providing power to restaurants and the like .