Gas stove glass door shattered- Mariner Princess

Just back from a week or so in the sounds - you always expect a few things to break, but one we didn’t was the trusty old Mariner Princess stove - oven on 220deg to cook some chips and BOOM the internal glass of the door shattered with a big bang. Fortunately the outer liner is intact or could’ve been quite messy.

Question does anyone know where I could find a replacement door for an otherwise perfectly good stove? I know they don’t supply parts officially any more. Or maybe if the door can be re-glazed?

thanks

I don't know anything about those stoves, but I know you can get heat proof glass from most glaziers. This glass is designed for use in wood burner / fire doors, so should be an appropriate specification for your oven. In fact it is probably oven door glass they sold me for my fire door. I'd just phone a glass shop and ask them for oven door glass.

The only question would be how to mount it / install it properly. I'd assume it has a gasket or surround with some screws or something. The only trick would be getting the size right. While you are sussing how to install a new piece, you could keep an eye out for what made the last one explode, possible twisting or something un-even in the mount?

Thanks, helpful, will go hunting for some glaziers. I wondered if the thermostat wasn’t working correctly and made it over heat? Bit of excitement while moored in Hītaua Bay at least.

10 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Thats the only time I have heard of this happening with a Mariner , back when Fred was in high production and his wife delivered weekly we sold hundreds of them.

They are great stoves, I’d be very upset to have to replace it. I’m sure any replacement wouldn’t be as solid.

There was one for sale on Facebook last week in Nelson for $150. In working condition. I nearly bought it for spare parts.

The title of the post is a bit alarmist. I wonder if it can be updated?  Not in fact a gas explosion, simply cracked glass on oven window.

23 minutes ago, vortex said:

Sure felt like an explosion when it went - happy to update the title if someone can tell me how though.

Click on the title and you can edit it.  This only works if you are the person who wrote the original post.

3 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Click on the title and you can edit it.  This only works if you are the person who wrote the original post.

Thanks -  for some reason I can't click the title at all - tried on phone and pc, maybe I don't have full rights or something. Feel free to change it for me assuming you have moderator rights.

• Upvote 1

When mine shattered in the rough not from heat I made a pattern out of appropriate thickness MDF with the holes for handles and bolts and even drew on the pattern for the blackout round the perimeter and took it to window shop and hey presto turned up one week later exactly like the original holes,blackout and all.

Yes there is a fireplace glass but when they identified the remains it turned out to be just toughened glass but mine was the outer glass not the inside glass. And it was cheap like $220

• Like 1
On 11/01/2024 at 9:04 AM, vortex said:

Question does anyone know where I could find a replacement door for an otherwise perfectly good stove? I know they don’t supply parts officially any more. Or maybe if the door can be re-glazed?

@vortex I've just replaced my Mariner Oven.  Oven stopped working 2023, so decided not worth repair, and replaced with new.

Was planning to sell for spares and parts.  I'm Auckland based.  Message me if interested....

Cheers Scott

WIN_20240114_13_13_17_Pro.jpg

• Like 1
On 15/01/2024 at 8:13 AM, funlovincriminal said:

I'd be keen on the black backing to control knobs and a rack/tray out of it if you're breaking it up

Message sent FLC.  Cheers Scott