Tablet for navionics

Hi, going to get a basic tablet for navionics, phone has been great but thinking bigger screen and something I can leave on board would be good. 

Anyone had a good experience that could steer me in right direction would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

Any 64gb Android will do the job, but I have found this couple give a very good run down of pros and cons, and cost v effectiveness...

https://sailingkerguelen.com/en/best-gps-tablet-navigation-android-apple/

Edit:  If you decided to go IOS over Android,  pay careful attention to the difference between Apple wifi v cellular.  You always want the cellular option if you are prepared to pay the Apple premium, because they have GPS, and Wifi only models don't.   Android models (as far as I am aware) all have built in GPS whether it is cellular capable or not.

BTW, I use the term GPS in it's broadest sense - there are many satellite providers these days, but I just band them together under GPS in my brain to save having to remember names like Galileo, Beidou or Glonass.

Did a trip to Fiji, cruised there then home via New Cal using only tablets with Navionics and Predictwind (with a back up laptop with Open CPN)

There was an Apple IPad and a Samsung tablet. Both worked really well, with the following caveats:

I found the Samsung easier to use but I have android phone so it was probably a familiarity thing than performance.

We had repeated headaches trying to download weather routing/gribs, using Iridium go and the Samsung. But the Apple unit just seemed to 'get along better' with the Iridium. It got so bad that a departing crew in Noumea left me his IPad to ensure I would have access to the downloads on my trip home.

Visibility in sunlight was another issue, manouvering through tight reef systems in the middle of the day facilitated the manufacturing of a cardboard shroud to keep the sun off the screen. Mounted under eave of cockpit roof using Railblaza star port and adjustable tablet mount.

This was on a 50ft Cat so easy to keep them dry, not sure how they would go on a 30ish foot mono 🤔 

If I was going to go that way I'd get a proper industrial ruggedised tablet.  Yes, they are about twice the price of a mid-range brand name device, but they generally have better, brighter screens for daylight use, and they come already IP67 or better waterproof and somewhat bounceproof.

This sort of thing 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/computers/tablets-e-book-readers/tablets/listing/4623710434

If it’s going to be outside it’ll need to be protected from spray and rain. My boat is a launch so my setup just uses an ordinary iPad. I love Navionics. It syncs with my iPhone so you can create routes on one device and they appear on the other. Any old iPad will do the trick though as mentioned by Zozza above it must be a wifi+cellular model. It chews through the battery so you need to have a plug nearby for charging. I have mine mounted on this bracket - see pic …

IMG_3275.jpeg

Tablets are ok, but I think a wired in dedicated chartplotter with buttons not a touch screen is superior especially if its going to be exposed to the elements. Tablets need to be charged so they need a port which can make them vulnerable, also they can be dropped and misplaced unless mounted permanently. That said they are a great option with many advantages not the least being value and screen real estate, especially as a backup or second station but they require more care than a chartplotter. 

I know someone who went to Fiji relying primarily on an Iphone with navionics!

Yes I should just upgrade to a chartplotter and keep navionics on phone for back up. I've looked briefly at chartplotters and most seem fish finding as priority when all I'm really looking for is good navigation. Cheers for your help crew

We have two chart plotters and iPad with navionics, nobody ever looks at the plotters

did Fiji last year, never used chartplotters for anything other than AIS

The CP are old E80 series, I need to add a wifi  hub I believe then I’d get all the plotter info on my iPad 

IMG_0959.jpeg