YNZ choices for Olympic classes

from the home page

The YNZ submission proposes that ISAF replaces the Event slate provisionally adopted in November with the following Event slate...

1. Men's Windsurfing - RS:X

2. Women's' Windsurfing - RS:X

3. Men's Single-Handed Dinghy - Laser

4. Women's Single-Handed Dinghy - Laser Radial

5. Men's High Performance Two-Handed Dinghy - 49er

6. Women's High Performance Two-Handed Dinghy - Evaluation Trial

7. Open Multihull - Evaluation Trial

8. Men's High Performance Single-Handed Dinghy - Evaluation Trial (to be suitable for men in the 85kg + weight range)

9. Men's Two-Handed Dinghy - 470

10. Women's Two-Handed Dinghy - 470

What do you think?

If 90% of the sailing throughout the World is really being done in Monoslugs, then keep 9 monoslug events and 1 multihull event.

In the Grand Prix sailing World, with the Focus on extreme 40's, The AC in Cats, the new SL33 Cats and other AC Multihull feeder classes and boats.

The focus in the real world is definitely heading towards Multihulls, the classes in the 2016 Olympics should reflect that.

There are too many events and hence it costs way too much to stage.

There should be 5 events only maximum.

I was intrigued by this:

The submission to ISAF from YNZ was written after wide consultation and discussion in and out of New Zealand.

I'd be curious as to what that entailed, maybe I'll ask Jodie.

It's the Olympics....... does anyone really care bar a few corrupt officials, the worlds steroid suppliers and the way too many vested commercial interests?

I cannot fathom like you clipper why would you want to keep the 470 its just an old heavy pig.

Now for the mens 85kg and above clas I reacon they should use Jollyboats fast and fun lol

But really why are we sailing shity old boats at a premeir sporting event

KM, is this a late push from the 930 association for inclusions in the Olympics?

Sexism, perhaps I'm missing something but it seemed to be only a one event discrepancy by my counting, myself I wouldn't have claimed this as rampant sexism. Perhaps you're suggesting the idea of ditching the fat mans one person dinghy in favour of a fat womans one person dinghy, that should be, err, interesting?

KM, is this a late push from the 930 association for inclusions in the Olympics?
Hell no, the Class doesn't need to be trashed any further. Mind you the idea of being able to sell my boat the day after the decision for 200K is somewhat appealing :)

Sexism, perhaps I'm missing something but it seemed to be only a one event discrepancy by my counting, myself I wouldn't have claimed this as rampant sexism. Perhaps you're suggesting the idea of ditching the fat mans one person dinghy in favour of a fat womans one person dinghy, that should be, err, interesting?

It appears you may have missed something, the list above has only 1 event that isn't listed as a 'His or Her'. Discriminating on the grounds of sex is illegal in NZ, most other countries and in vicinity of any lesbians. The worlds youth sail Optis and don't discriminate.... generally.

If weight is a problem, and that's about all it can be, just have a 'Who ate all the pies' division and a 'Go eat a pie' division, as very commonly happens widely in yachting now or would that be discriminating against anorexics and lardarses? Also if you went that way the Olympics would become a lot more inclusive, something it's been heading away from for a while now. If you want to claim the best of the best status you 1st have to race all of the best, at the moment you can't.

I reckon all that is needed is ...

Windsurfer : RS:X

Single handed monohull, single sail : Moth

Single handed monohull, trapeze & gennaker : ?

Double handed monohull, trapezes & gennaker : 49er

Single handed multihull, single sail: ?

Double handed multihull, trapezes & gennaker : ?

It's the Olympics, so should be for the best sailing the fastest boats - and ones that are appealing on the TV.

No need for weight targets - find whatever competition suits your body, just like track and field athletes do. No need for separate womens divisions, these boats do not require outright strength.

No need for weight targets - find whatever competition suits your body, just like track and field athletes do. No need for separate womens divisions, these boats do not require outright strength.

Agree, a far better option. Nice thinking.

but i guess they use 470s because it takes a little more concentration, or maybe skill and knowledge of what angle to have the spi pole at in relation to headsail etc, i understand that using the hedsail and kite while running really changes things to do with kite trim, rather than hoisting a genny and tearing off at 25 odd knots

I have never seen an olympic event for:

fat mans running

fat mans swimming

fat mans cycling

fat mans high jump

fat mans diving

shall I go on?

Perhaps we should include the bellyflop as an event?

JH - I would hate it if the 3.7 became an olympic class. If you compare the amount of dollars you pay per ounce of technology in the laser, my new sail would have cost $5k.

Just as a side note, I think we should have teams racing in the Olympics. :shock:

Can't believe you're asking that.

The Olympics are still the absolute pinnacle of the sport.

Without them we'd be way worse off than we are. Don't tell me anyone really thinks that getting a spot on a billionaire's flash cat so that you can race one other boat is as good as it gets. Ask, Coutts, Grael, Ainsley and co what their greatest achievements are. Olympic Golds don't come from weetbix packets and to get one you have to be the best in the world, not just handy on a keelboat.

Sort of agree with Zen but due to the Olympics being so closed shop/number limited I'd still prefer to win a Worlds than an Olympics. To call yourself the best you have to beat all the best and all of the best are rarely at the Olympics. The AC isn't really the pinnacle for that much bar smack talk, bollix and money spent. The worlds best sailors aren't all there, the best technology isn't either but will be a lot closer this time and at the end of the day to win you only have to beat one boat every 4/5 years.

But hey, I'd be a happy chappy if someone slung a gold over my shoulders all the same.

Some 1/2 drunk dude in a pink fairy costume turned up in shed 44 tonight with a medal on his chest, full of smak talk about dragonboats being the real deal not yachts. :D

Archived