1 hour ago, K4309 said:

My question is, what is the actual benefit of all this stuff you guys are talking about? As in, what is the benefit of an Orca Core2? I'm after the practical difference here, not the difference between 10Hz and 50Hz processing.

Right now for round the cans I want NextLeg TWA and NextLeg AWA to be more accurate than the current random numbers I get out of the Zeus. 

For longer races I want a Twd that doesn't change when the wind picks up or doesn't change 10deg when on opposite tacks.  I would prefer not to be doing the calibration in my head at 2am in the dark as the wind speed increases or decreases. 

More accurate laylines, time/dst to laylines would be a plus as well but for daytime racing it doesn't really matter. 

1 hour ago, K4309 said:

Are you trying to get an autopilot that can drive faster than you can in all sea states? 

High accuracy wind data will have a flow on effect to the quality of the ap response. But right now that's not my issue as the tiller drive isn't responsive enough anyway. 

1 hour ago, K4309 said:

Or do you feel you current wind readings are inaccurate due to pitch and roll of the masthead unit? 

They are pretty much useless when there's any attitude occurring. Eg reaching across from Barrier the other day in 1m swells the wind speed was probably 8knots.  But the sensor was measuring upto 12knots for 3-5second periods which coincided with roll. For sailing by hand this doesn't matter cause we sail to the sails anyway but obvs this would have a flow on to the AP drive.

So for now just looking for a poor mans decent Wind Triangle calculator 🤣😂 then when I next get a decent AP and direct drive the benefit will flow on... 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem said:

Right now for round the cans I want NextLeg TWA and NextLeg AWA to be more accurate than the current random numbers I get out of the Zeus. 

For longer races I want a Twd that doesn't change when the wind picks up or doesn't change 10deg when on opposite tacks.  I would prefer not to be doing the calibration in my head at 2am in the dark as the wind speed increases or decreases. 

More accurate laylines, time/dst to laylines would be a plus as well but for daytime racing it doesn't really matter. 

High accuracy wind data will have a flow on effect to the quality of the ap response. But right now that's not my issue as the tiller drive isn't responsive enough anyway. 

They are pretty much useless when there's any attitude occurring. Eg reaching across from Barrier the other day in 1m swells the wind speed was probably 8knots.  But the sensor was measuring upto 12knots for 3-5second periods which coincided with roll. For sailing by hand this doesn't matter cause we sail to the sails anyway but obvs this would have a flow on to the AP drive.

So for now just looking for a poor mans decent Wind Triangle calculator 🤣😂 then when I next get a decent AP and direct drive the benefit will flow on... 

triangulating the wind between your ears and your nose is pretty cheap 

•  
  20 hours ago, Guest said:

Do you reckon NAC2 could cure S wobbles DW with crossed up following sea Matt? Or Mute them a bit.

If you are using a AC12 or 42, the main issue in steering downhill is a fluxgate or (slightly better) a RC300 - which is a rate compass, but still a fluxgate. The single biggest improvement you can make is a new compass - like the precision 9 - it's solid state, and gives MUCH more accurate and stable heading output to the AP computer, and therefore results in a much better course. I noticed that most in a quartering sea. If you want that AND  better wind steering, then change the ACXX to a NACX (The X's are just the model to suit your boat)

I have 10Hz H2183 (2013) SS and from what I gather from net the precision 9 is not significantly better. Looks like a NAC 2 would be the way to go.

5 hours ago, Guest said:

I have 10Hz H2183 (2013) SS and from what I gather from net the precision 9 is not significantly better. Looks like a NAC 2 would be the way to go.

Ok, that's a much better heading sensor than the usual ones on an AC12!

So Yes, a NAC2 or three would be an improvement.

However, I have had customers complain about them as well, and also H5000 pilots. All the pilots need to be setup correctly, usually by more than just autotune. With the AC12 and the NAC series, the low and high speed settings can be used to have normal and running settings, rather than low and high speed. S turns are often the result of too much rudder gain, but can be wrong counter rudder settings as well. There is a pretty good description of this and how to set it up on pages 25 and 26 in the NAC2-3 commissioning manual. There is quite a bit to get right, incl

Turn Rate, Rudder gain, Counter rudder, Auto trim, Init rudder,  Rudder limit,  Off heading limit, Track response, Track approach angle, Course change confirm angle etc, and then all again for the low/high speed settings. 

I suggest you spend some time experimenting before outlaying some $$. Unless you want good wind angle steering - the AC12 doesn't really do that well...

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, K4309 said:

OK, serious question this time.

I have a Nexus NX2 system, and my masthead wind transducer has shat itself (end of life, between 10-15 years old).

The wired Garmin gWind is a straight swap for it. The rest of the system is still working fine (noting I've blown FETs in the AP controller twice, and installed an aftermarket circuit board fuse) If one other things shits itself on my nexus gear (long out of production) I may be compelled to do a full replacement, and probably with B&G gear.

I currently have a hybrid Nexus/N2k system. One of my NX2 multis failed so I decided to replace it with a B&G Vulcan 7. To get the Nexus wind, speed and depth data to the Vulcan 7 I installed a Garmin GND10 which is a gateway/converter between the Nexus bus and N2K and vice versa. The GND10 needs to be programmed for data direction e.g I have the GPS data from the Vulcan feeding the Nexus bus.

I was also looking at what to do when my transducers fail. The Silva/Nexus/Garmin 43mm thru hulls are a bit of an orphan but I don't really want to replace the thru hull fittings. Garmin still do 43mm transducers with a N2k converter box on it.

My second NX2 multi is close to getting its last rites and will eventually be replaced by  B&G Triton2.

I am already running a gWind mhu and once I have replaced the speed log and depth transducers with the Garmin N2k versions I will be able to kick the Nexus server down the road.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kiwi_jon said:

I currently have a hybrid Nexus/N2k system. One of my NX2 multis failed so I decided to replace it with a B&G Vulcan 7. To get the Nexus wind, speed and depth data to the Vulcan 7 I installed a Garmin GND10 which is a gateway/converter between the Nexus bus and N2K and vice versa. The GND10 needs to be programmed for data direction e.g I have the GPS data from the Vulcan feeding the Nexus bus.

I was also looking at what to do when my transducers fail. The Silva/Nexus/Garmin 43mm thru hulls are a bit of an orphan but I don't really want to replace the thru hull fittings. Garmin still do 43mm transducers with a N2k converter box on it.

My second NX2 multi is close to getting its last rites and will eventually be replaced by  B&G Triton2.

I am already running a gWind mhu and once I have replaced the speed log and depth transducers with the Garmin N2k versions I will be able to kick the Nexus server down the road.

I've been looking at that GND10, it is that unit that makes the gWind integrate with the Nexus system. It comes with the wired gWind. Noting that the riggers warned me off putting another wireless unit on, and the retailer wont even sell them, saying they (the Garmin gWind) are complete sh*t, so if I proceed it will have to be a wired unit.

Interestingly I've not had any issues with my Nexus Multi displays. Blowing the FETs on the AP course controller (the computer thingee tucked away in a locker) was due to malfunctions of the autopilot ram. On one occasion it decoupled from the tiller arm and went hard over, causing the FET to blow (the rudder angle unit was giving a different position to the ram). It was something similar the first time I blew a FET as well. Richard Macalaster at Kiwi Yachting was as helpful as he could be, and actually put me onto the original manufacturer of the unit in Aust. I spoke very nicely to him and he found an old 'test' unit that he commissioned and sent me.

It is a bit of an issue having an orphaned system, that is for sure.

2 hours ago, K4309 said:

I've been looking at that GND10, it is that unit that makes the gWind integrate with the Nexus system. It comes with the wired gWind. Noting that the riggers warned me off putting another wireless unit on, and the retailer wont even sell them, saying they (the Garmin gWind) are complete sh*t, so if I proceed it will have to be a wired unit.

There are several ways of integrating a Garmin gWind into the Nexus system. The first is as you mention the wired gWind mhu which comes complete with the GND10. The disadvantage is you need to run a new cable down the mast as the connector on gWind is different to the connector on the Nexus mast cable.

The second option is Garmin make a small adaptor cable that goes between the gWind mhu and the Nexus mast cable. The Nexus mast cable needs to be moved from the Wind port on the server to Nexus/instrument bus port.

25 minutes ago, kiwi_jon said:

There are several ways of integrating a Garmin gWind into the Nexus system. The first is as you mention the wired gWind mhu which comes complete with the GND10. The disadvantage is you need to run a new cable down the mast as the connector on gWind is different to the connector on the Nexus mast cable.

The second option is Garmin make a small adaptor cable that goes between the gWind mhu and the Nexus mast cable. The Nexus mast cable needs to be moved from the Wind port on the server to Nexus/instrument bus port.

My current mhu is wireless anyway, so I'm up for running a new wire regardless.

Since the mhu packed up, I've been going old school and just estimating the wind strength based on the feel on my face and the state of the sea. Given I'm probably looking at $2k to replace the wind transducer, I might just continue with old school wind speed for a bit.

The AP goes find on course heading. We have a powerful hydrualic ram on the back of our tiller steer (37fter), and that is the main thing for me at the moment. Noting I've not raced for a few years so the need for fancy lectronics is diminished.

11 hours ago, Island Time said:

A B&G WS320 wireless wind MHU with a NMEA2000 interface is $1009 + GST....

Do you know if that integrates OK with a Nexus system?

So I bought one of these.  It arrived really quickly (2 days) via dhl.

Installation was simple. Plug & play into the N2k network.  It's all there and present. 

I mounted it in the head behind the mast right on the centre line around 750mm above the water line. 

The charts aren't up to date with the latest linz updates, but then neither is C-Map! 

The conditions weren't calm enough tonight to undertake the necessary calibration steps. So so far it's just another expensive GPS receiver, hopefully on Sunday I will get a chance to run the full calibration and see how it performs.

• Upvote 1

Tritons edge or Orca c2? Can’t tell from your post.

I have committed years ago to Airmar gh2183, Zeus 2, and ac12/42 with a back up drop in for each including  below deck linear drive. Now ten yro. New stuff looks cool but can’t justify updating. Still learning to get optimum out of my boat in terms of sails, trim, conditions, tactics and I don’t even race! 

On 12/05/2024 at 10:17 AM, Guest said:

Still learning to get optimum out of my boat in terms of sails, trim, conditions, tactics and I don’t even race! 

This!  CD just spent more than the total capital value of Stepping Out so he could identify a 2% difference in wind speed.

Not knocking at all.  I wish I had the $ to do it and the brains to make it worthwhile.  Different uses and priorities.

• Like 1

My wind instruments date back to the ark , but I have my own system

if the sails are flapping it's gone forward, pull them in. Every now and then give them a bit of ease for good luck. If the rail is in the water put in another reef. if the rail isn't in the water put the kettle on

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Missus wanted to know what all the bling was for, I blinded her with science and her safety. If only she knew.

Not being sexist, she ain’t stupid and regularly goes on flights of fancy with her tech. Just that I know she has zero inclination to find out that my stuff is expensive for what it does and superficially accurate.