Navigation question

You are sailing in zero visibility.  You need to pass a big outcrop of coral to port then turn 90 deg port. What navigation tools do you have and how close will you get and still be comfortable? Closer cuts time off your trip,  farther off means less chance of hitting the coral. 

Firstly we’re in the tropics are you ? Some chart data is very unreliable and other isn’t, plus is it fog or just dark night ? And have I been there before ?

Stand off until daylight.

Or use satellite imagery data, radar, chartplotter, navionics on another device, in other words all available means including someone on the bow as you can always see or hear something no matter how dark the night is.

Open water ie clearing an island, 3-5 NM, depending on area and chart reliability. Use radar to get distance off if there is anything above the surface, or breakers.

If in enclosed waters, and I have to move, all available means - chart, Sat pics, different chart,  radar, sonar and forward scan. Proceed really slowly. If 3 separate systems do not agree with my fix, I'm not moving!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sorry, been away. I based it on an actual passage  so, tropics,  zero visibility,  never been there before. 

No right or wrong here, just interested what other people would consider acceptable. 

Depth sounder pretty useless as deep water right up to the coral.

How far ahead can the forward scan "see".? Coral so very little above sea lever - breakers and some palm trees a mile or so inside the reef

Radar can see the breakers and the palm trees, and the land the trees are on, so will give you a very good chart position check if overlay is used. But on a passage my planning is 3-5nm...

Oh, and fwd scan only out to about 150/200m at best, great for poking into a bay or entry...

15 hours ago, Black Panther said:

You are sailing in zero visibility.  You need to pass a big outcrop of coral to port then turn 90 deg port. What navigation tools do you have and how close will you get and still be comfortable? Closer cuts time off your trip,  farther off means less chance of hitting the coral. 

Whats the old saying? " If in doubt stay out"

• Upvote 2
On 11/06/2024 at 7:49 AM, Black Panther said:

You didn't say if this was a charter boat or not?

This is known to greatly influence the risk profile and level of caution taken ;-)

• Haha 3