NZ drownings up 46%

Fogg

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10712824

What have you guys been up to this summer?!

And why does this not get more focused attention as an obvious area of prevention?

I don't have facts to hand but it sounds like the majority of these deaths relate to beach/swimming incidents rather than pure boating - anyone know the exact split?

Every time there is a boating incident the do-gooders come out of the woodwork and demand more regulation etc. But why are the same poeple silent on this problem which seems to be bigger but just accepted as a by-product of a nation of beach lovers?

I'm with AC.

Swimmers should all be licensed.

Beginners have to wear lifejackets within 20 metres of the shoreline.

Restricted license can only swim during daylight, with waterwings and not within 2 hours of eating.

And why does this not get more focused attention as an obvious area of prevention?

The shutting down of school pools!

The problem of drowning is going the get much worse!

Question for everyone.........who taught you to swim.

For me it was my parents and grandparents at the beach. It certainly wasn't my teachers.

The idea that shutting school pools is contributing to drowning is just further evidence of delinquent lazy parents.

For me it was my parents and grandparents at the beach. It certainly wasn't my teachers.

The idea that shutting school pools is contributing to drowning is just further evidence of delinquent lazy parents.

Learnt at the beach, but perhaps this was more mucking about with the waves and simply messing about.

Primary school had a pool and some sort of lessons but more swimming widths because of numbers.

Real swimming was learnt by lessons in the pool and at about 12 ~ 13yrs at Parnell pool where eventually I swam a mile non stop. 27 lengths and it's a deep pool!!

A few years ago, I joined some dedicated harbour swimmers training with coach 3 mornings a week. 4 x 100m and then the speed trials started!!

Butterfly is IMHO a silly and stupid waste of energy.

So learning continues :think: I enjoy breaststroking :oops:

I think the kids learnt nothing at the school lessons due to the numbers involved, more of an excuse for a bit of fooling around outside of the classroom. They did however get to muck around at the beach & had paid lessons. They are all now strong swimmers & the younger 9yo daugher was comfortable taking off her bouyancy aid & diving off a RIB at the Taupo regatta over the weekend & swimming around the RIB/Opti's to cool down. It did surprise me how confident she was, although she seemed to think it was just normal.

Guest Rocket

Parnell Pools - Paul Krauz? swim school

Saturday mornings - cold as spent hanging onto that rail kicking and breathing....

And then the non-stop mile as rite of passage

Took all mine to swimming lessons at local pool - getting a pool at home plus holidays at beach/dive lessons has made them very capable and confident.

It was school for me.

But without seeing why each Statistic drowned, it is possible that lack of being able to swim is not the issue. Hypothermia, Fatigue, Ruff water, being trapped under the water, could all be possible causes of these deaths.

Here's a question. If someone drove off the road and into a river and drowned, is it counted as a Road Death or a Drowning??

Knot sure but I'd say Ma and Pa, which would have been backed up by school.

I do this waterwise thing and part of the very start of each year, and sort of compulsory, is each kid must cover 25mts unassisted with no touching the bottom. We use a local grammar school pool, which is actually 33mts but we don't tell them that bit. If they can't get from one end to the other they aren't allowed in the Optis. Day one down the beach we take them a good 100mts off the beach and throw them off the RIB and say 'See ya on the beach', they are wearing lifejackets doing that, but knot in the pool. It is a primary school in the Bayswater/Belmont area and is regarded as the 'lower end of the parents with bucks' school in the area, incorrectly but down that way many parents have status issues sadly and like to think that to make them happy. It is probably the most culturally diverse school in the area, so probably a good 'average' primary school. All the kids to this in the last year before moving on to intermediate school.

I'd say, on average as it does vary a little year to year, 20% can do the pool totally effortlessly, 50% can do the pool easily even if swimming style is somewhat 'interesting'. 20% struggle in the pool but given time get there, 5% try but just can't and have no style so look like floundering fish. 5% totally fail and/or just won't even get in the water. But there is a degree of knot wanting to look hopeless in front of their mates I suspect. A few who can't do it we take up in a small group and have another go, most do make it but it's knot pretty. I think there's only been 3 or 4 in the last few years who just can't or possibly 'won't'.

The swim back to the beach most do easily but they do have lifejackets on and are paired with a mate. Generally most don't want to get in the water as they'll get eaten by sharks but once I push the 1st few in and the rest see them swimming and alive it's all on. The swimming styles are often ugly but they get there eventually.

By far the group who has the biggest issues, be it no idea, no skills at all or just no desire are boys who don't have pale skin. We have had around 4 or 5 over the last few years whose parents didn't want them even having a go. I find that very sad.

Generally the majority can keep themselves afloat without to much problem and cover some distance. But there is that small section who just have no idea. Even had a few, and we are talking 9-10yos here, who have never even played on a beach let alone had a go at swimming.

Here's a question. If someone drove off the road and into a river and drowned, is it counted as a Road Death or a Drowning??

Cause of death is drowning. Even though cause of drowning is accident, same as some one who has a skin full and decides to swim to waiheke Island, cause of death is not recored as stupidity

Both

That way the stats can be used to bash different issues.

When I did my dive ticket, i had to swim 400m. Damn near killed me.

Now that I'm in my "smarter years", I worked out all i have to do is just float and let the tide do all the work. :wink:

Parnell Pools - Paul Krauz? swim school

Saturday mornings - cold as spent hanging onto that rail kicking and breathing....

And then the non-stop mile as rite of passage

Correct Rocket. Paul Krauze. A few years ago he was well but needed crutches to walk, and was later struggling. I don't know for certain but he may no longer be with us.

Still he was an inspiration and teacher to many. Even now I think of those rail holding times blowing bubbles and head turning whenever I am swimming.

Archived