Plywood Deck Finishes

Fish

Fish

Our teak was partly inlaid and partly raised (about 5mm either way)

But it had worn away so that some areas were holding water

Ours like I would think yours was well weathered which has removed the oil that prevents the epoxy from sticking.

You may have to do some exploratory digging in areas of concern and rebuild with ply but leaving the sound teak in place saved us alot over having to remove it and then rebuld the decks.

Jon

Has any one used the international inter-grip stuff? Where sprinkle it on or something? Can someone tell me the story behind it and what its like to apply?

Thinking about using it, but It is only a small area..

Thats what I used with brightsides, I rolled it rather than sprinkled. Was patchy but as I improved my technique it looked better. I think you need to use s lot of ti to get a good non skid effect

So did you mix it in or something?

Im curious on what is the best technique.. we have a whole bottle sitting at home, so I dont need to buy it, Im not seeing very many videos on how to do it

I have never like Sand in paint. But that is Personal Opinion. Once it wears, it looks dirty due to the Sand colour. White Silica beads or grit looks not so bad. You can also do the Epsom Salts in Paint trick. You wash it away after the paints cured to leave a ruff surface. Once again i don't like that it traps dirt.

The nicest finish I have seen is the one with the rubber bits in it. I used Treadgrip. But not an easy paint to remove when you want to repaint in a few years time, as I have found. We have had about 6yrs from ours and now needs a tidy up. Maybe a second coat a few yrs back might have helped, but not sure.

I have two favorates, The international granuals, mixed nearly double the recomened dose. You'l have to ask Markm how its stood up since 2003. and theres an acylic roll on type, quite rubbery. I've also done a great job with what looked like sand in New Caledonia, rolled on a layer of paint ( in sections ) then with a custom salt and pepper type shaker sprinkled it on, then rolled another coat on top.

Sounds like you guys need a couple of tech evenings, to learn how too, and how not to do.

try and avoid any type that is a dissolve away salt/sugar type

I have two favorates, The international granuals, mixed nearly double the recomened dose. You'l have to ask Markm how its stood up since 2003.

It's stood up well, we do our best to flick our bowman on a regular basis but he sticks to the deck despite our best efforts.

No sign of deterioration in the grip over the last five years, grip is good without being overly abrasive.

Here's a new one to me, get some west 406 glue powder, mix it with 2 pot to the consistency of plasterers mud and notch trowel it on, then go over with a medium roller to stipple it. Anyone tried it?

That does sound like a good Idea But

if 2 pack urethanes are over build the become very rubbery and not very tough and will probably crack.

(you will see this fir you have used 2 pack topcoats and left a little bit in the bottom on the tin)

it does work when done with polyester flow coat. it is very agressive and will chew out shorts and wet suits. I have it on my beach cats gunnel edge for grip when out on trapeze. As matty say most paints cant handle the thickness needed.

Archived